Washed / Cleaned / Steralised Sand For A Kids Sand Pit... Where?

foxxx

Cats will not crap in sharp sand (river sand - the larger angular sand ) but is not as soft as beach sand which both kids and cats love. After the kids have finished playing you can also cover the sand pit with some shade cloth , available from Home pro or even big C.

typically this is 90% full of idiotic replies. yes its called washed sand because most construction based sand is not great for kids.

and obviously it'll be constantly covered, and it's not hard to keep insects out of.

i only asked where to get sand, not opinions from idiots.

thanks seadoo.

Edited by foxxx

typically this is 90% full of idiotic replies. yes its called washed sand because most construction based sand is not great for kids.

and obviously it'll be constantly covered, and it's not hard to keep insects out of.

i only asked where to get sand, not opinions from idiots.

thanks seadoo.

Whoops? construction sand is or should be washed. In the USA and Europe the sand is generally calcareous, meaning that if it gets damp, even due to dew, it will go hard. That's why it isn't suitable. Most of the sand I have used in construction here is from a river somewhere which means that it is washed and acidic and not going to go hard. Nice to feel you can call people idiots when they try to take your idiotic question seriously.

Take some sand. Put it on a sieve and rinse it. Do it again, a lot. You will then, if you want it sterilised (and it will stay sterile for about two hours) have to get someone to boil it in water. They sell sacks of play sand in Switzerland and it isn't sterilised. I feel sorry for your kids. Insects will get in as well as ants and spiders.

My kids play on a big pile of river sand by our house, and they seem happy to go back to it nearly every day to play. Sand is great fun. However I don't see the point in sterilization, it can't possibly remain sterile for more than a day.

I haven't noticed very many bugs in the sand pile, and we don't put any effort in to covering it. Dogs may sleep on a sand pile occasionally but they don't crap on it. Cats do crap in sand, but if you tarp it there is much less chance.

All the anti sand people here must really hate a day at the beach.