Cng Versus Lpg

jimmym40

Have seen several LPG stations around town, but no CNG. Anyone know where the CNG filling stations are located? And also, anyone have an auto that uses CNG? Can anyone point out the savings from using either type? Which one is more economical when it comes to kilometers per litre?

Share any other opinions?

Reason for asking, thinking about buying a City with CNG already factory installed.

Thanks all...

CNG is more expensive to install and weight of tank much heavier but the cost is much less (which is why all trucks now use and bus and most taxi) and it should be safer as lighter than air. But upcountry only selected PTT stations seem to serve and there is queue filling at most. Will let someone knowing comment on relative cost details. If I were buying it would be CNG.

CNG you do not get as much range, LPG is better for that if you are travelling upcountry a lot as far as I know, everyone I know has LPG, no one has CNG.

The subsidies on LPG might not last forever. Also the OP is looking at a factory installation for CNG, not an aftermarket LPG conversion.

There are five CNG stations in the Chiang Mai area which is the big downside of owning a car with CNG up country. But as one travels south CNG stations are more readily available.

I have a Mitsubishi with factory installed CNG and am very happy with the economy of the fuel.

Recently I drove from Chiang Mai, to south of Hua Hin, and did several day trips in the area. I kept a record of the fuel costs, and driving 2700 kilometres cost me 1492 baht in CNG. I used less than a half of tank of regular fuel (600 baht) for the entire trip.

• Like 1

I noticed the cng model is roughly 60,000 baht more over the non cng model honda city.

Cant seem to figure out the math but roughly how many km must I travel to break even.

Yes, I would like to know also what the approximate km's to travel to break even. I've tried myself to figure it out,but come to a road block.

60,000 baht seems pretty high cost to recoup unless you travel up and around country alot.

I've seen many LPG stations around town, I guess CNG hasn't caught on yet???

I noticed the cng model is roughly 60,000 baht more over the non cng model honda city.

Cant seem to figure out the math but roughly how many km must I travel to break even.

Yes, I would like to know also what the approximate km's to travel to break even. I've tried myself to figure it out,but come to a road block.

60,000 baht seems pretty high cost to recoup unless you travel up and around country alot.

My quick check would be about 36,000 km based on cost per km being .77 baht per prices in post above and normal Lancer usage of 7 liters per 100km (mixed driving) at 35 baht per liter being about 2.45 baht per km.

I won't bother you with the formula but it's safe to say you break even around 25-30.000 Kilometers in a year.

(Calculation on 7 yr lifespan from brand new car, Benzine/Gasohol prices and not Diesel, give or take a few K depending model, size, driving style and so on,...)

So if you drive considerably more, it's worth the investment.

If you drive less. It's not.

Edit: Correction calculation typo error. My bad!

Edited by KhunVee