Prison Stories

Star Dust

"In Thailand deportation doesn’t mean that you get deported because you have broken the law, or are not welcome. Not at all… It’s because of expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no

documentation at all."

"...expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no documentation at all."

You don't consider those things breaking the law?

Can you tell us why you were in jail?

Terry

• Like 1

"In Thailand deportation doesn’t mean that you get deported because you have broken the law, or are not welcome. Not at all… It’s because of expired Visas, or work permits, or because of no

documentation at all."

Terry

Agreed, this guy seems to thinks he's nelson mandela or something because he spent a few weeks in the clink; probably for having weed or something......clap2.gif

• Like 2

"but the only thing he could say in English was; “Heerro, what name you”?

If your story is true, it's remarkable "Aet" was able to learn enough English to convey such a story to you, having been working 16-hour days the whole of his time in Thailand, without any genuine exposure to westerners.

Edited by aTomsLife
  • Like 1

Thank you for your report. Will you share more ? How can you be in Thailand now if deported ?

I will share more. Let's see if this first part is appreciated.

I was released from prison, and re-arrested for overstaying my Visa while imprisoned.

1.)The fine at court would have been 20.000 THB, but by the time I got sentenced I did already enough time because 1 day in a Thai prison is worth 200 THB for the court. So I compensated the fine with the days I was imprisoned without ever being given the chance to actually pay for that. The 750.000 THB in compensations for the Thai guy with broken the pinky I never had to pay. They left that up to me. I was given one year probation.

2.) I was re-arrested by immigration in front of the prison, cause my Visa had run out by that time. I was sent back to the same court, with the same judge, paid 1000 THB fine for my overstay. That took one month, while I was detained in the police station. Then another month in the Surrathani policestation, another 5 days in the Ranong police station, and another 3 weeks in IDC.Finally the Austrian Embassy was allowed to pay me a visit to get the cash for the flight ticket. Sadly that's all they could really do for me.

I could come back to Thailand and was not Blacklisted because of my case.

Thai immigration in IDC explained it like this.

Small Cases like traffic offenses, overtayed Visas (even 5 or 10 years which is not so uncommon by the way) are not blacklisted, as long the fines are paid. But if you get extradited then 99 years.

Big Cases: Theft 5 years

Roberry(armed or not) 99 years

Murder: 99 years

Sex Offenders (Pedophiles) 99 years (if not killed or died of starvation in prison)

Drug Cases: Weed ; less then one kilo, 5 years.....one kilo or more 99 years

All other drug cases 99 years

So I was not Blacklisted.

• Like 2

documentation at all."

Terry

No Terry, I don't consider those things breaking the law. But the immigration police does. In IDC were tourists detained under conditions you possibly can't imagine for overstaying their Visas for just a day or two. The Deportation Process in Thailand is like that. Yeah, if you overstay and go pay for that, then that's fine, but if you get arrested on an overstay, they will send you to IDC.

In my case I did time because I caused a traffic accident under the influence where a Thai guy broke his pinky. I offered enough money to compensate, but apparently that wasn't enough, so at the end I just refused to pay. I deserved doing time, don't get me wrong. After nine times attending court I was sentenced to freedom because the court got tired of me, an by that time I've stayed already longer in prison, then my sentence would have been. I walked out the front gate of the Kho Samui Deprtment of Corrections and was greeted by the immigration police and a pair of hancuffs. My Visa ran out while I was in prison. That's why I got deported.

Great thread.

So how are you still here in Thailand? Surely you where deported?

Edited by jambco984

If your story is true, it's remarkable "Aet" was able to learn enough English to convey such a story to you, having been working 16-hour days the whole of his time in Thailand, without any genuine exposure to westerners.

Maybe the OP can speak Thai.

I know a western guy who has been in Thai prisons (drugs offences), he came out speaking perfect Thai.

Deported at the end of his prison sentence, applied for new passport, returned immediately, still here.

Thailand doesn't really check incoming foreigners all that carefully.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I know some western guys who have been in Thai prisons (drugs offences), they came out speaking perfect Thai.

Only a few can manage. I have been working in Thailand for more then 12 years. I fluent in 4 languages including Thai. That made things easier for me on the inside. But it doesn't help at court. A prisoner (especially foreign) speaking in Thai to a judge is an insult to court. That I learned on my first day in court.

• Like 1

I studied Thai for more then 8 years, and Aet did speak fairly good Thai.

I know a western guy who has been in Thai prisons (drugs offences), he came out speaking perfect Thai.

Deported at the end of his prison sentence, applied for new passport, returned immediately, still here.

Thailand doesn't really check incoming foreigners all that carefully.

You're right. But the names and photographes do remain in the immigration files. Maybe entering is more easy then exiting. There are plenty of guys in prison thinking about that option. Even in my case the police is still aware that I did time here. Nevertheless I picked up my Workpermit last week. biggrin.png

A prisoner (especially foreign) speaking in Thai to a judge is an insult to court. That I learned on my first day in court.

I think you mean a foreign prisoner speaking pidgin Thai to a judge is an insult. When I've spoken in Thai to a Judge he told me that he was very impressed.

• Like 2

I know some western guys who have been in Thai prisons (drugs offences), they came out speaking perfect Thai.

Only a few can manage. I have been working in Thailand for more then 12 years. I fluent in 4 languages including Thai. That made things easier for me on the inside. But it doesn't help at court. A prisoner (especially foreign) speaking in Thai to a judge is an insult to court. That I learned on my first day in court.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining.