Object Believed To Be Meteorite Found In Chiang Mai

webfact

Object believed to be meteorite found in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI, 26 February 2013 (NNT) – A Chiang Mai resident has claimed that he has kept a meteorite which hit the earth eight years ago, in his possession until now. He said he wanted authorities to verify if the object is a meteorite.

Mr Ammarin Sukbuddhakij, a resident in Mae Chaem district, showed a 33-centimeter-long and 22-centimeter-wide object, weighing 10.11 kilograms to ecological experts from Chiang Mai University. The shiny black object is believed to be a meteorite, which hit Chiang Mai in 2005.

Mr Ammarin said he found it when he was digging the ground with his backhoe. He indicated that the rock was distinctively different from other stones in the area and the object was found in a big hole, looking like having been hit by something heavy hard.

The ecological experts initially suspected that the object could be a meteorite. They need to cut it open for thorough authentication, but Mr Ammarin does not allow the cutting. He is asking experts to identify the object without damaging it.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-02-26 footer_n.gif

The show over Russia is just now filtering down to the locals, or he may have been exposed to the 'discovery channel' recently when the ground search for meteorites was aired.

Instead of consulting an ecological expert, he may want to approach someone who would have a basic knowledge/understanding of what he is looking at.

"and the object was found in a big hole, looking like having been hit by something heavy hard."

a meteorite weighing 10 kilo would make a hell of a crater, not just a hole like "having been hit by something heavy hard".

Thai fairy tales at its best.

• Like 2

Some one tell him to use a "magnet". Meteorites are magnetic. Not

Some not all are.
I collect and find them as a hobby. All the ones that I have found and verified are. And they are small being only a few inches at the most. You can get $100 and up for uncut ones for serious collectors.

Some one tell him to use a "magnet". Meteorites are magnetic. Not

Some not all are.
I collect and find them as a hobby. All the ones that I have found and verified are. And they are small being only a few inches at the most. You can get $100 and up for uncut ones for serious collectors.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/space/meteorites-dust/collecting-identifying-meteorites/identifying-meteorites/index.html

THe important word is can.

most are magnetic. Some are not.