Cat Cdma Modem May Be Broken....

4evermaat

I have the mifi 2200 and I am getting the red flashing light, even with the battery in. So the battery finally drained out and then, even when plugged in, the modem will turn on for 30 seconds to 5 minutes max and then shut off, and repeat. So the battery will not hold a charge.

I've tried using other similar microusb adapters and it will appear to oower the mifi device briefly, and the same problem of shutoff occurs.

Previously, I was able to run the modem even with the battery out, but it was plugged in. I'm thinking that there is a possibility that the internal charging mechanism may be broken? (overheat or something) I want to test the charger and the battery, but need a way to do this.

edit: i took the battery out and put the charger in by itself and i only get the flashing red light. The modem does not turn on.

I might try going down to cat office, but if they wont sell replacement part, then I will have to cancel service :(

Any ideas as to the problem? Over 2 years of good service from that modem, but maybe it is time to move on.

Edited by 4evermaat

2 years of use, it's reasonable to assume the battery is toast. I don't know that particular device but I'd expect 2 years isn't so old that it's impossible to find a new battery for.

Mind you, if it's a cdma modem it won't live for much longer anyway, cat cdma is being migrated over to cat 'my' and you will probably need a new mifi device and data plan (no more unlimited data).

cat has pulled the service

Actually, no cat has not pulled CDMA yet (not everywhere), which is why i'm trying to salvage the modem. And they still have the regular promotion of 790 + vat for unlimited.

I may end up getting 3bb or other landline service, assuming it is not full. We'll see.

Already have a separate My cat plan. The service isn't so bad, but

anywhere I can sell the modem to? or is it worthless now (even if i can fix the battery or whatever the problem is).

Are you 100% sure ythey still have the unlimited plan because I hace been told different.

They are no longer subscribing new people, but old users who had the plan apparently are still continuing on the plan. According to my latest bill i got yesterday.

The people at the cat office did mention that it would be switched to 1 baht per min as of the new year 2013, but so far, no problems.

^

yep seems you are right spoke with someone else who payed their bill yesterday and they still have the unlimited package.......bastards I haven't used for a month because I thought it was 1 bht/ min

I figured it was a bluff to get people to cancel, i didn't budge. but because the modem is broken, I ended up cancelling anyway. It could have very well just been the battery, but where I stay they do not stock batteries for the mifi 2200. Bangkok would probably have had at least n aftermarket battery.

So for now, My by cat will have to do until we get the DSL internet installed. 3bb says my location is maxed at 10Mbps down and 1/2 Mbps up. We'll see what the 'big boss' says. They are talking 3k-4k installation and first 2 months.

RIP CDMA....it was worth every penny. I would hold onto it until the tower goes out completely or your unit dies.

Sometime last August, my CDMA modem simply lost the signal. I received no notice. CAT apparently switched the tower I was using to 3G. My wife and I went to the CAT office to see what had happened. We ended up signing up for the post paid My CAT service. Other than the 9,995 baht modem being worthless the new service has been pretty good. They did give me a new free SIM card. (Big deal). A good company would have replaced the obsolete modem with a 3G modem.

I was disappointed that they had no air cards or MiFi units at the CAT office. I ended up buying a ZTE MiFi and since it was quite troublesome, I bought a ZTE air card also. ZTE was the only brand available and both my units are crap. They both quit working several times a day and it takes a lot of fiddling to get them going again. I will never buy another ZTE product.

By contrast,the old CAT CDMA modem never disconnected and never had any other problems.

Since they are still offering the unlimited package I tried to use my dingle last night it seems they have cut me off because we have not payed the bill for 3 months will go to office on Monday to see what's happening ,no doubt more confusion awaits me.

I was disappointed that they had no air cards or MiFi units at the CAT office. I ended up buying a ZTE MiFi and since it was quite troublesome, I bought a ZTE air card also. ZTE was the only brand available and both my units are crap. They both quit working several times a day and it takes a lot of fiddling to get them going again. I will never buy another ZTE product.

By contrast,the old CAT CDMA modem never disconnected and never had any other problems.

Which one did you buy? I use the ZTE mf 62. Very little problems, other than the occasional shutoff and disconnect, which can be solved with a restart or sometimes you can go into the modem admin settings via the web browser and refresh the sim carrier connection in the WAN connection settings tab. Or for shutoffs, removing the battery, holding the power button for a few seconds, and then restarting the unit clears the problem. Not sure if it is a firmware issue.

Also, if you use different chargers, it can messes up the way it charges. you have to repeat the remove battery technique above to 'reset' the charging.

I thought about buying this VodaFone R205 mifi unit or the Huawei Pocket Wifi 3 which covers all 3 Thai 3G bands (850/900/2100). They didn't stock them at the time :( but good to know that the triband units are growing in popularity.

Another tip. leave the battery cover off to maximize ventilation.

Which one did you buy? I use the ZTE mf 62. Very little problems, other than the occasional shutoff and disconnect, which can be solved with a restart or sometimes you can go into the modem admin settings via the web browser and refresh the sim carrier connection in the WAN connection settings tab. Or for shutoffs, removing the battery, holding the power button for a few seconds, and then restarting the unit clears the problem. Not sure if it is a firmware issue.

Also, if you use different chargers, it can messes up the way it charges. you have to repeat the remove battery technique above to 'reset' the charging.

I thought about buying this VodaFone R205 mifi unit or the Huawei Pocket Wifi 3 which covers all 3 Thai 3G bands (850/900/2100). They didn't stock them at the time sad.png but good to know that the triband units are growing in popularity.

Another tip. leave the battery cover off to maximize ventilation.

I have the MF-30 model. I like to use it plugged into the computer USB port. Sometimes it just goes competely dead and other times it drops the signal. The only way I can bring it back up is to use the charger and connect with the WiFi. It works fine for a while then loses the signal. I tried different USB ports on the computer and it acts the same on all of them. I also tried my phone charger with the same results. I'm using the air card right now. It often drops the signal but normally will re-connect if done manually but not always. The MF-30 does seem to get hot but since I often have to swap the SIM to the air card, I never put the cover back on.

The MF-30 won't work at all with the battery removed. I think I have tried everything including the reset. Pushing the WiFi and the on/off button together sometimes works but not always. I have decided that both are crap and will buy a different brand when I find one. Tethering my phone to the computer works great.

Edited by Gary A