New Reports Acquits Hit And Run Driver That Killed Four Swedes In Thailand

webfact

"So you maintain your car as required by law and yet something still goes wrong due to mechanic who worked on it. How do you assign responsibility? How do you prove who was at fault?

At some point it's just an accident."

A professional and diligent police accident investigator will conduct a thorough examination of the scene, and look into other factors surrounding the case, to determine what, and who, was at fault. The detective's motto is "a failure to search is a failure to find"

I have observed the aftermath of many fatal collisions in Thailand, and witnessed the sloppy scene examination by the attending police. Vital physical evidence just seems to be swept off the road to get the traffic moving again.

One thing about this case troubles me. It was revealed during the course of the trial that a loose wheel caused the accident, yet the driver had already pleaded guilty to reckless driving, and was subsequently convicted and sent to prison. If I am reading the news report correctly, it was only later that he was acquitted, based on the same loose wheel evidence. How does that work?

I am betting that there was plenty of backroom monetary negotiations going on between the police, judges and the trucking company to bring this matter to a favorable resolution for all concerned (except maybe the families of the four Swedish victims).

Edited by Radar501
  • Like 2

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why they keep calling it a 'car' as it was a large truck. Original news article. Since it was a 'mechanical' failure I would thought the company who owned the truck would be also culpable.

phuket-1-12180QaxxhdvsrWJoCByxJulqXqLsxg

Yes surely the company, owners of the truck should be held accountable.

Just another sad, sad RTA in Thailand.

All of the Swedes were 21-22. So young, RIP.

Langsuan Man, on 27 Feb 2013 - 08:22, said:

Has anyone ever read of anyone being charged with leaving the scene of an accident here in Thailand ?

Yes, if you are an ex-pat sitting in the passenger side of a taxi and the taxi driver brakes hard to avoid a motorcyclist - who was taking to his girlfriend on his mobile. Suddenly the taxi brakes with such force that you are thrown through the windscreen and twenty meters into the street you could be charged with damaging the vehicle and leaving the scene of an accident

Has anyone ever read of anyone being charged with leaving the scene of an accident here in Thailand ?

I believe it is mandatory for someone to leave the scene if :-

1. The vehicle they are driving is a sports car
  2. They are related to someone who owns a beverage company
  3. Somebody has been injured or worse

Hope this helps

• Like 2

I wonder why he pleaded guilty in the first place?

Because he left the scene in the first place. Innocent folk have no reason to bolt.

Agreed. Leaving the scene is an admittance of guilt.

I remember an accident in Australia some years ago. A car came around a bend and cleaned up a couple of guys who were walking on the road with a group of friends.

The unhurt pedestrians were about to lynch the driver, so he did a runner. Certainly not an admittance (admission?) of guilt.

Edited by Radar501

I wonder why he pleaded guilty in the first place?

Because he left the scene in the first place. Innocent folk have no reason to bolt.

Agreed. Leaving the scene is an admittance of guilt.

I remember an accident in Australia some years ago. A car came around a bend and cleaned up a couple of guys who were walking on the road with a group of friends.

The unhurt pedestrians were about to lynch the driver, so he did a runner. Certainly not an admittance (admission?) of guilt.

Sure in that case not an admission (LOL) of guilt. The incident in Phuket however is a different story. Do you agree?

I think the whole shebang of Thailand should have a good hard look at themselves , there has been several items that's been noticed by outsiders in this article, why do Thai authorities continue to make themselves the laughing stock of the modern world, their decision making on issues can only be described as abnormal, verging on the weird.bah.gif

• Like 1

is the driver not responsable for his his car is maintianed and safe to drive? is there no periodic control of the cars here, in europe the car and trucks undergo periodic controls, and will be removed from the roads if they not pass. but anyway , the driver of a car is responsable for the car is safe to drive, and if a wheel falls off, due to some loose wheel nuts or things like that, the driver must be hold responsable.

In Britain there is a Construction and Use offence of " failing to maintain in good and efficient working order " . Unlikely to be a Thai equivalent when you see some of the wrecks on the road, would be easy money for the Highway Police

It appears the Swedes were at fault for taking an illegal taxi. Case closed.

Yes, unbelievably bad reporting, not just bad but criminally biased in my opinion.

Why are the authorities letting tourists take illegal taxis? Why is there not a crackdown?

Tourists should be aware that if they (unknowingly) take an illegal taxi and someone recklessly kills them, they will be blamed for the accident for having taken an illegal taxi.

Shame on you Thailand and Thai people; sort out your journalists and stop blaming foreigners for YOUR shortcomings and negligence.

Agree about Thai journalism but, in this case, the story quoted is from a Swedish journal in Asia. The reporter is Anders Holm Neilsen.

....I want to puke....

....the Swedes were duped into taking an 'illegal taxi'.....

(...scam the tourists who have no way of knowing....)

..and this has what bearing.except to reinforce that criminals get of scott free...and so do murderers....if they are Thai

.....2 weeks or more later.....an alibi materializes.....the wheel.....

....uuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Real sad that anyone should be killed on any roads anywhere but I cant help thinking as I read all these posts how bad it is for some of the posters in this country.

Going by the moaning and bitching life must be hell for some farang in this country.

You can always go back to the paradise you came from you know where all the roads are perfect, the drivers courteous and no one is ever killed of hurt.

Something that just came to mind:

A reporter asked Gandhi “What do you think of western civalisation?

The reply “I think it would be a great idea”

More likely to be declared insane for sticking around. The driver who hit the two " around the world ' cyclists was arrested at scene but it wasn't explained if he had tried to run, however he was himself " seriously injured " so maybe couldn't. The young girl, with the family name, who ran the university min-bus off the road stayed at the scene but was too busy texting to do anything else

Real sad that anyone should be killed on any roads anywhere but I cant help thinking as I read all these posts how bad it is for some of the posters in this country.

Going by the moaning and bitching life must be hell for some farang in this country.

You can always go back to the paradise you came from you know where all the roads are perfect, the drivers courteous and no one is ever killed of hurt.

Something that just came to mind:

A reporter asked Gandhi “What do you think of western civalisation?

The reply “I think it would be a great idea”

The motivation for some might be the utter frustration felt. No matter how honest they are, no matter how law abiding, generous and decent, they are continually penalized for such behaviour. The death of those Swedish kids is heartbreaking. No one is held accountable and as a result, some more kids will be crushed to death.

So it would appear that pleading mechanical failure can get you off if you kill someone with a car or, as in this case truck.

The mechanical failure of losing a wheel happens very often in Thailand. This has following reason: In case a wheel is being mounted back on a car (i.e. after fixing a puncture), the nuts are being tightened. In the first place no one does no the exact torque, and no driver rechecks the nuts after driving around 100km. I have seen drivers "checking" the wheels of their car, by kicking the sidewall of their tires. These people just do not care about the safety of their vehicle.

The driver should be charged with negligent homicide.