Is Thailand Considered A Third World Country Or A Developing Nation?

DavoTheGun

(I ask this because I have recently had the experience of visiting my GF's Mother in a Government Hospital, namely Banglamung and Chonburi, the conditions I found in these hospitals is most definitely Third world, I have only seen worst in Africa).

Have you ever experienced the National Health hospitals in the UK? Makes the Thailand government hospitals appear like the Ritz in comparison. A patient literally has to be on the point of booking an undertaker before they even consider medical treatment.

I thought that the term, developing nation was a new politically correct way of describing a third world country so as not to cause offense to those who do live or originate from a third world country?

What absolute tripe!!!

The NHS is a VERY good healthcare system at a VERY good price with some of the best surgeons in the world.

• Like 2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I ask this because I have recently had the experience of visiting my GF's Mother in a Government Hospital, namely Banglamung and Chonburi, the conditions I found in these hospitals is most definitely Third world, I have only seen worst in Africa).

Have you ever experienced the National Health hospitals in the UK? Makes the Thailand government hospitals appear like the Ritz in comparison. A patient literally has to be on the point of booking an undertaker before they even consider medical treatment.

I'm sorry but this is just nonsense. When was the last time you visited an NHS hospital or had any treatment on the NHS?

probably 1920 before it ha d been invented and they made him drink a bottle of whisky before the barber cut his legs off with a rusty saw and then dobbed tar on the end of his stumps...................I guesslaugh.png

I thought that the term, developing nation was a new politically correct way of describing a third world country so as not to cause offense to those who do live or originate from a third world country?

Complete and utter rubbish, without quoting the Daily Mail back up your claims.

Always thought the 3rd world referred to non aligned nations during the cold war. Nothing to do with developed or developing nations.

Thailand is developing at break neck speed, in the 10 odd years I've been here, out in the boonies, the change and pace of change is unbelievable.

Give it 10 more years and I think they will have caught up to many western nations.

As to hospitals, at least they have free medical and dental, go to my rich country, Australia. If you have bad teeth and no money, they will rot in your head. Jim

actually you are wrong jim , Australia has a free dental program , but there is such a long waiting list to get them done and by the time you get there they are rotten. if you are in alot of pain then they can do it quicker , less than a week. my daughter just went through it .

kevvy, give Jim a break.

He probably hasn't heard the news of the introduction of this program as Jim lives here full time in Thailand and is way out in the boonies.

Respect to both you guys ...

EDIT ... just read Jim's reply

Edited by David48

The OP writes ...

Is Thailand Considered A Third World Country Or A Developing Nation?

So is that your question?

I ask this because I have recently had the experience of visiting my
GF's Mother in a Government Hospital, namely Banglamung and Chonburi,
the conditions I found in these hospitals is most definitely Third
world, I have only seen worst in Africa, serious overcrowding, no Air conditioning,

no Fans, very dirty, filthy beds and the list goes on,

Or do you wish to discuss, in your opinion the demise of the Thai Public Hospitals?

The lady was admitted to the
Banglamung Hospital a month ago after having a small stroke, they found
nothing wrong and was sent home, she is 80 years old, she the had
another "Turn" a few days ago and this time was taken to Chonburi
Hospital, and given an Xray, (MRI) they found an anurism in her head,
and said the would insert a stent, an obvious thing to do!

^^

Do you have any concept of what a cerebral aneurysm is?

Some medical information for you ...

aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) has devastating consequences.
About 10% of individuals with aneurysmal SAH die before reaching medical
attention, 25% die within 24 hours, and 40-49% die within 3 months. The
mortality rate has been estimated to be as high as 65%, with most
deaths occurring early in the clinical course.

Here

now they have
changed there mind and said if she keeps her blood pressure down she
"should" be OK, WHAT! Her Daughter and Grand son, 30 Year Old seem to
accept this and I am unable to convince them to insist on placing a
stent is a must, as she has a Time Bomb in her head waiting to go off,.
as a stupid Farang, and do not know what I am talking about, I am at a
loss as to what to do about his situation, some good advice would be
useful.

I suspect that because of her age they have decided not to spend the
money on what is basic surgery for her. I may be wrong but doubt it.

basic surgery ... blink.png

So, before you jump to conclusions about what her daughter may or may not be thinking,

think about this ...

It's not brain surgery. Opps, hang on ... yes it is. Actually. it's open brain surgery!

Patients age 65 or older had four to five times as many complications
from surgery -- including death -- as did patients younger than age 45.
And as older patients have a shorter remaining life span than do younger
patients, they have a shorter period of being at risk for aneurysm
rupture.

Here

Edited by David48

Always thought the 3rd world referred to non aligned nations during the cold war. Nothing to do with developed or developing nations.

Thailand is developing at break neck speed, in the 10 odd years I've been here, out in the boonies, the change and pace of change is unbelievable.

Give it 10 more years and I think they will have caught up to many western nations.

As to hospitals, at least they have free medical and dental, go to my rich country, Australia. If you have bad teeth and no money, they will rot in your head. Jim

actually you are wrong jim , Australia has a free dental program , but there is such a long waiting list to get them done and by the time you get there they are rotten. if you are in alot of pain then they can do it quicker , less than a week. my daughter just went through it .

Sorry can't agree with you Kevvy that service is getting scrapped and with that service it is only available to the very poor and usually it's only pulling teeth and anti biotics when the infection is past being able to do anything, wai.gif

^^

Do you have any concept of what a cerebral aneurysm is?

Some medical information for you ...

aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) has devastating consequences.

About 10% of individuals with aneurysmal SAH die before reaching medical

attention, 25% die within 24 hours, and 40-49% die within 3 months. The

mortality rate has been estimated to be as high as 65%, with most

deaths occurring early in the clinical course.

Here

now they have

changed there mind and said if she keeps her blood pressure down she

"should" be OK, WHAT! Her Daughter and Grand son, 30 Year Old seem to

accept this and I am unable to convince them to insist on placing a

stent is a must, as she has a Time Bomb in her head waiting to go off,.

as a stupid Farang, and do not know what I am talking about, I am at a

loss as to what to do about his situation, some good advice would be

useful.

I suspect that because of her age they have decided not to spend the

money on what is basic surgery for her. I may be wrong but doubt it.

basic surgery ... blink.png

So, before you jump to conclusions about what her daughter may or may not be thinking,

think about this ...

It's not brain surgery. Opps, hang on ... yes it is. Actually. it's open brain surgery!

Patients age 65 or older had four to five times as many complications

from surgery -- including death -- as did patients younger than age 45.

And as older patients have a shorter remaining life span than do younger

patients, they have a shorter period of being at risk for aneurysm

rupture.

Here

I know exactly what a cerebral aneurysm is? In this case it could be fixed with a stent inserted through the aorta, without opening the cranium, so is relatively simple providing the do not rupture the vessel!

Last time I was back, watched one of those current affair shows about it. People were being told not to bother registering for the free dentist, just put down for false teeth as the waiting list was 5 years and you'll have no teeth left by then.

Not really a free dental system, here in our little local hospital, dentist comes twice a week and treats farangs for free as well, but there is only one off us. Jim

jim, my daughter went back to OZ 3 weeks ago and when she got back she got in to see the dentist in a week , as her tooth broke off in Thailand , maybe she was a lucky one , she is 33 years old . as i said for emergency only you can get seen . if you have to be put on a waiting list then you will wait for 5 years . just like when you have to wait to have surgery or public housing , now that is a joke .

Sorry can't agree with you Kevvy that service is getting scrapped and with that service it is only available to the very poor and usually it's only pulling teeth and anti biotics when the infection is past being able to do anything, wai.gif

as i said to Jim my daughter went back to OZ 3 weeks ago , and she broke her tooth here in Thailand , after 2 weeks of being home she got in and they fixed her tooth , going to do a crown for her . she is on disability pension. that is all i can go on.

kevvy, give Jim a break.

He probably hasn't heard the news of the introduction of this program as Jim lives here full time in Thailand and is way out in the boonies.

not disrespecting Jim

kevvy, give Jim a break.

not disrespecting Jim

^^

Know you are not ... maybe I worded that wrong.

My bad.

At 80, I don't expect much from any hospital in the world.

The UK most likely wouldn't do that operation .... too old.

Rubbish. The patient is assessed on criteria such as whether or not the patient would survive the treatment and what the underlying condition is.

Many 80 year olds in the UK undergo expensive and complicated open heart surgery. A sedentary obese smoker is not going to be considered a good candidate, but an active function 80 year old will be.

Agreed, totally false information. My grandad had a triple bypass at 84, lived to be 97...

Rubbish. The patient is assessed on criteria such as whether or not the patient would survive the treatment and what the underlying condition is.

Many 80 year olds in the UK undergo expensive and complicated open heart surgery. A sedentary obese smoker is not going to be considered a good candidate, but an active function 80 year old will be.

Agreed, totally false information. My grandad had a triple bypass at 84, lived to be 97...

Was that in Thailand?

Was that in Thailand?

erm no, so quite unrelated. Sorry. However my girlfriends uncle has recently has heart surgery here. Not sure how but the whole operation was 100% free. Something to do with the king's trust?!?

^^ Essentially, what Thailand fails to understand is that development has most importantly in the mind and not in the wallet. We await their revolution of the mind and revolution of respectable values as they become richer economically.

And, yes, would be fantastic to have some walkable pavements as well.

Take the old girl to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, tell them what you want doing, they will do it very quickly

Don't you think I would have done that already, She has no insurance and I do not have sufficient funds to do that, it would cost about 1 million bart at least, her insurance finished when 66 they just stopped it, her Daughter had been paying for years and NEVER claimed, bastards!

I think you just found out why no one wants to pay for it,

even You don't want

as i said to Jim my daughter went back to OZ 3 weeks ago , and she broke her tooth here in Thailand , after 2 weeks of being home she got in and they fixed her tooth , going to do a crown for her . she is on disability pension. that is all i can go on.

No worries that would be the difference, Your daughter being on a dissability pension. I can only go on my sister as she is on a very low income and she could not get any help until her tooth got died and got infected and then they just pulled it and put her on anti biotics and no she's on the waiting list wich I think is about 5 years now

As some have stated, Thailand is more developed in some areas and less in others.

My observations living, working and developing relationships here with Thais for the full swath of society is that Thailand and Thais are doing fairly OK with their economic development having been turned into a industrialization engine/export economy by the US and Japan.

However, they are very underdeveloped in the areas that matter most to me personally. Social and cultural development they are woefully lacking. On the rights of people, they are lacking such as free speech. They are lacking in modern education. They are underdeveloped in their attitudes towards violence, their attitudes towards corruption. They are very underdeveloped in their respect for hygiene and particularly food safety. They are underdeveloped in their world view still stuck in a 19th century nation building phase (along with North Korea and not many others). They are underdeveloped in their courage to sacrifice for greater positive change in all aspects of their society; how many Thai matrys for progress have you read about? There are almost none. They are extraordinarily underdeveloped in their application and execution of the law. Thais tend to be very weak emotionally unable to properly anticipate, express, discuss and/or reconcile their emotions. They are underdeveloped in their interpretation and execution of Buddhism. It's nearly a farce. They are underdeveloped in their application of the East Asian concept of FACE, hiding behind it rather than allowing it motivate their good actions such as is more common in Korea, and Japan. I could probably cite more...

For me, they are underdeveloped (or completely undeveloped) in all the things that form the foundation bedrock of a developed society.

They have built a few malls, and import fancy cars and send many of their upper-class kids abroad for education but much of that effort pales in light of all the fundamental areas where they are completely underdeveloped.

So, no, Thailand is far and away not a developed nation.

This is what I explain to upper class Thais I work with and encounter out and about. Can't discuss with Thais who have never been abroad... they might very well assault you!

You sound like a bitter know it all yuppie

As some have stated, Thailand is more developed in some areas and less in others.

My observations living, working and developing relationships here with Thais for the full swath of society is that Thailand and Thais are doing fairly OK with their economic development having been turned into a industrialization engine/export economy by the US and Japan.

However, they are very underdeveloped in the areas that matter most to me personally. Social and cultural development they are woefully lacking. On the rights of people, they are lacking such as free speech. They are lacking in modern education. They are underdeveloped in their attitudes towards violence, their attitudes towards corruption. They are very underdeveloped in their respect for hygiene and particularly food safety. They are underdeveloped in their world view still stuck in a 19th century nation building phase (along with North Korea and not many others). They are underdeveloped in their courage to sacrifice for greater positive change in all aspects of their society; how many Thai matrys for progress have you read about? There are almost none. They are extraordinarily underdeveloped in their application and execution of the law. Thais tend to be very weak emotionally unable to properly anticipate, express, discuss and/or reconcile their emotions. They are underdeveloped in their interpretation and execution of Buddhism. It's nearly a farce. They are underdeveloped in their application of the East Asian concept of FACE, hiding behind it rather than allowing it motivate their good actions such as is more common in Korea, and Japan. I could probably cite more...

For me, they are underdeveloped (or completely undeveloped) in all the things that form the foundation bedrock of a developed society.

They have built a few malls, and import fancy cars and send many of their upper-class kids abroad for education but much of that effort pales in light of all the fundamental areas where they are completely underdeveloped.

So, no, Thailand is far and away not a developed nation.

This is what I explain to upper class Thais I work with and encounter out and about. Can't discuss with Thais who have never been abroad... they might very well assault you!

You sound like a bitter know it all yuppie

I am. And, you sound like a .. like a .. real meany head.

Cheers

Edited by PaullyW
  • Like 2

Last night (04/03/2013) it rained a bit as of 03am to 08am.

I heard the rain and felt good until I really woke up around 04am, in the total dark, no lights on the street.

Took them until 08.30 before I spotted a truck from the electricity company checking the poles.

At 09 am we got electricity back.

This happens every time it rains. (Luckily we did not have rain for 3 months.....)

Definitely a Third World Country in my books whistling.gif

Edited by tartempion

Tommy, im starting to see why your not liked around here.

Spend a few days in Bangladesh then when you return to Thailand you'll feel like you are in Singapore!

Spend a few days in Singapore, and when you return to Thailand, you'll feel like in Bangladesh!

Singapore was founded by the white man.. That's like comparing apples to oranges.

• 5 months later...

I like to think of Thailand as not being a third world country but then you see things like Council workers made to swim in putrid klong water just to collect rubbish, buy them a small boat for christsakes! Even better, make it compulsory work for the filthy corrrupt government ministers

Any country where police are asking 6 bucks for a fake traffic fine and you can talk them down to 3, is a third world country.

Bit like ...what was the expression...Banana Republic.......Hey Mister Tallyman.....