Thai Tailor

kurnell

There are only two Tailors in Bangkok worth their salt. Tanika's at Asok and Narin Corture just up the road at soi 8. Both have their own tailors on site and Narin was trained in France. If you want to know if a tailor is any good ask them if they can make you a jacket with a floating canvas. Only Tankia and Narin can do this. However you are looking at upwards of 40k for a fully canvassed suit. They will also make fused canvas jackets at a lower price.

There are only two Tailors in Bangkok worth their salt. Tanika's at Asok and Narin Corture just up the road at soi 8. Both have their own tailors on site and Narin was trained in France. If you want to know if a tailor is any good ask them if they can make you a jacket with a floating canvas. Only Tankia and Narin can do this. However you are looking at upwards of 40k for a fully canvassed suit. They will also make fused canvas jackets at a lower price.

I second Narin.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know a tailor at Asok (or between Asok/PhromPhong or Asok/Nana) that they would recommend for *just* shirts?

All the signs say something like - "2 shirts, 2 pants, 1 suit - $199", etc.

What if I already have a suit, and just want 4 or 5 shirts!

Go to Thaniya Building...... BTS Sala Daeng and on the 3rd floor you have Infini tailor. K Somboon is as Thai as you can get, is a charming man and has lovely fabrics. His workmanship is of a high standard and I feel sure you will be pleased.

I have used him fairly regularly since 2006 and only use him.

Guys, I don't mean to be rude, but all stores on Sukhumvit belong to Indians. First, the OP specified he wanted a Thai tailor. Second, Indians located on Sukhumvit have no sense of fashion at all, no matter who good they speak. Third, most of them will delegate their work to other guys whom car repair would be their forte but not tailored suits. As a result, they deliver a low quality job, Rajah included. At least, Thai designers have a sense of fashion. Just go meet them. But please, don't talk about Sukhumvit anymore.

It isn't safe to generalise. They Indians may have been there for generations and call nowhere else home. Not all of them are tourist traps that farm their work out to the same sweatshop. Some are professional operations and do good work. Stick to the busy ones, usually run by Sikhs, and skip the ones that have touts outside and always look empty.
Those Indians are Thai and have been here for generations, their touts are usually from places such as Nepal.As for those places on Suk or tourist trap joints, why do I never see sewing machines or machinists sewing away and stitching up suits on the premises?Most of these places are nothing more than material salesmen with the material being sent to some sweat shop at the back of the tobacco factory to be sewn up.For the OP, go to a Thai place and you will see the staff on the premises, these places always have Thai style uniforms in the windows, its where the Thais go for made to measure clothing.

This is true. All that crap in the tourist areas farmed out to a few "sewing factories".

And you really need to be careful about them swapping material and shoddy labor.

Does the OP have a budget in mind when asking for a Thai tailor?

No.

I've used 2 tailors here in Bangkok over the last three years... Both at different ends of the spectrum...

FORCHONG which is located between Sukhumvit soi 49 & 51 has been doing my suiting... His prices vary depending on the quality of the wool i.e 120, 150, 180 etc... 6,500 - 9,500

The other is Duly, which have 2 stores. 1 on Suk 49 and the other in the Siam Kempinski hotel. Whilst this is more "designer" it still does tailor made and it does it well... Tailor made shirts run from anywhere between 4,500 - 5,550... Suits run between 19,000 to about 24,000... These guys have come a long way in the 3 years since I started buying from them...

Plus they (Duly) have the added benefit of making use of the VAT refund scheme which if you're planning a visa run could work for you as well..

"Tailor made shirts run from anywhere between 4,500 - 5,550"

Oh wow... I went to Infini... he had the fabrics in rows.... he told me a row was 1,800, one was 2,200... another 2,800... I thought this was pricey.... 4,500-5,500??? Geez.