Who Cares...?

HeavyDrinker

What is it about Thailand that makes it such a battleground among "expats"?

Almost every time I go into town or down to Patters I get folks trying to instantly impress me (as I look and behave like a tourist) with godawful bargirl Thai, before I get a potted history and politics lesson and so on and so forth....

When I visit pals in HK, India, Viet Nam or SIngapore I never hear anyone trying to do the same so why does the 'expat' community here seem like it's on a constant round of knob waving?

At the end of the day, no one really gives a flying XXXX how much Thai Language, Politics or History you know...you're always goiong to be Johnny Foreigner here so just crack on with it....

Edited by metisdead

I think Heavydrinker goes to the wrong places so inadvertently his opinion will be conditioned...

Serves him right for talking to people when he's out drinking. I've learnt that from this forum. Nobody wants totalk to anyone when they're out drinking - they all think I'm a tosser. And I'd no sooner strike a conversation than most of the guys here would take a swing at me "pre-emptive" like. So I just keep myself to myself. From what they say on here, most farangs are a pretty unpleasant bunch, wouldn't even say hello to you if your paths crossed in Tescos.

SC

I think Heavydrinker goes to the wrong places so inadvertently his opinion will be conditioned...

Serves him right for talking to people when he's out drinking. I've learnt that from this forum. Nobody wants totalk to anyone when they're out drinking - they all think I'm a tosser. And I'd no sooner strike a conversation than most of the guys here would take a swing at me "pre-emptive" like. So I just keep myself to myself. From what they say on here, most farangs are a pretty unpleasant bunch, wouldn't even say hello to you if your paths crossed in Tescos.

SC

Hmmmm...

This pre-emptive-strike you mentioned is very interesting.

SC

Hmmmm...

It was the conclusion from a recent thread on why every time some of our fellow posters go drinking they end up in a fight.

The recommendation was that to minimse the risk of getting beaten up, you should always strike first, before the other bloke has time to go for a knife or whatever.

Good advice, though it depends on the bars you go to. Apparently most of the pubs down Soi Cowboy and around Nana are full of dangerous psychos whom you'd be as well to deck before they can say "Wotcher mate, where're you from?"*. It's not my experience, but I normally go to the higher-class bars with entertainment and thick velvet curtains across the doorways.

SC

* Or even "Sabai dee mai" with a thick Speke accent

SC

Hmmmm...

It was the conclusion from a recent thread on why every time some of our fellow posters go drinking they end up in a fight.

The recommendation was that to minimse the risk of getting beaten up, you should always strike first, before the other bloke has time to go for a knife or whatever.

Good advice, though it depends on the bars you go to. Apparently most of the pubs down Soi Cowboy and around Nana are full of dangerous psychos whom you'd be as well to deck before they can say "Wotcher mate, where're you from?"*. It's not my experience, but I normally go to the higher-class bars with entertainment and thick velvet curtains across the doorways.

SC

* Or even "Sabai dee mai" with a thick Speke accent

Thanks, SC.

Some people have quit the scene and chose to go up country and relax and feel quite comfortable.

All in all indirectly avoiding to have these kind of unnecessarily discussions.

Still your comparison about farang are reluctant to meet another farang in a Texco hits the nail with the hammer.