Farming Giant Freshwater Shrimp

ozzydom

฿250/kg (100kg), i think you could up the bet 10 times for the next "set & forget".

฿15'000 in exchange for ฿250'000 this September... fat bonus !

Hi RBH, sounds good but the 100 kg flooded our local market so a different marketing strategy is called for.

Fish are our bread and butter so to dedicate ponds to prawn and lose that carring capacity calls for rethink.

As prawns are usually harvested in one go (freshies dont trap like the white prawns),I am contemplating growing them on to larger size (and higher price) where it would be worthwhile hand catching and market to the top end on order (motels restaurants etc),initial responses are encouraging.

With more air pump capacity I could raise the carrying capacity of the ponds (with its extra risks)so that we can cater for our local fish sales.

I dont mind having surplus fish as we just grow them on,but not being able to satisfy our customers gives me a pain.

ozzydom ... great that you have posted a 'meaty thread' ... clap2.gif

Feeding regime for the prawns?

Or did they feed 'naturally' from what filtered down from the Tilapia?

And feeding the Tilapia is your standard algae method that you have mentioned before?

So many questions to inquire about ... wai.gif

Hi Ozzydom , Just out of curiosity have you tried Marron or would it be just too difficult to do in Thailand ? I don't know much about them except somebody told me they can walk across land to find new waterways and you find an empty pond in the morning. They are a big industry in Western Australia and they do taste good....... especially if cooked on the barbie .

ozzydom ... great that you have posted a 'meaty thread' ... clap2.gif

Feeding regime for the prawns?

Or did they feed 'naturally' from what filtered down from the Tilapia?

And feeding the Tilapia is your standard algae method that you have mentioned before?

So many questions to inquire about ... wai.gif

If feeding naturally is eating <deleted> ,then yes.

Pla Nin only get supplementary pellets,2.5kg per 1000 once a day

• Like 1

Hi Ozzydom , Just out of curiosity have you tried Marron or would it be just too difficult to do in Thailand ? I don't know much about them except somebody told me they can walk across land to find new waterways and you find an empty pond in the morning. They are a big industry in Western Australia and they do taste good....... especially if cooked on the barbie .

Hi xen, I believe you can buy "blue claws" in the Bangkok markets ,there have been threads on them over the years,

I see no reason why they could not be grown here,personally I am not a fan of introducing species,but your right,they are good tucker.

Very nice information. Good to know that Giant koong and pha nin can co-exist.

I am wanting to setup and fish/prawn farm just undecided as to whether to go as fish intensive/few prawns or go prawn intensive/few fish.

And at $250/kg very attractive price.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but here goes. I've go a bunch of prawn in one of my ponds and want to clean the pond out. The wife doesn't want to as the prawns are all loaded with eggs. As I understand it they won't produce any larva in a pond on their own. Is this correct?

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but here goes. I've go a bunch of prawn in one of my ponds and want to clean the pond out. The wife doesn't want to as the prawns are all loaded with eggs. As I understand it they won't produce any larva in a pond on their own. Is this correct?

Thanks,

You are correct,but I bet wifey wont admit she is wrong biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Here in Laos, a farmer a bit north of Vientiane grows Yabbies. Medium size: 16/kg 400 THB; Larger: 6 - 8/kg 800 THB.

Friends in south La. US told me in Febuary that they were getting 2 dollar a pound, We used to have a big annual crawfish boil for the village/town 1970's. Cooked up about 5000 pounds and bought them for about 15 to 20 cents a pound. The beer and potato was the expensive part of the feed. When crawfish finished, shrimp season opened, then crabbing, oyster, flondering, and finally duck season in the fall. We just did not know what we had at the time, in quanity nor quality.

Hello Ozzydom,

Well done. I stumbled on this a little bit late. I'm planning on stocking my aquaponic plant growing troughs (raft aquaponics, deep water channel) with these prawns at a rate of 10/m2. There will be aeration and the water will be recirculating. Only 36m2 to start with so that's only 360 prawns. Do you know where you can buy juveniles?

If you want your prawns to grow fast and and have a superior color, do some research about Thai fairy shrimp. Actually, wait until I finish an article I'm writing for my website (blog) which will contain sort of a definitive guide. I'll post a link here when I've uploaded it (in a few days).

Laochef, could you provide more information about the farm doing yabbies north of Vientiane. I'm in Vientiane at this moment. Yabbies, if I remember correctly, like to tunnel and eat each other. I'd like to do red claw, but I can't find them.

Ozzydom, you've probably mentioned it in another thread, but I'm curious what you sell your tilapia for. In Laos on the Bolaven Plateau where my farm is they are retailing for 30,000 kip (more than 100 baht). Also, I'm going to have to "thin" my tilapia population. Is there any market that you know of for, say, 200 to 300g fish?

Hello Ozzydom,

Well done. I stumbled on this a little bit late. I'm planning on stocking my aquaponic plant growing troughs (raft aquaponics, deep water channel) with these prawns at a rate of 10/m2. There will be aeration and the water will be recirculating. Only 36m2 to start with so that's only 360 prawns. Do you know where you can buy juveniles?

If you want your prawns to grow fast and and have a superior color, do some research about Thai fairy shrimp. Actually, wait until I finish an article I'm writing for my website (blog) which will contain sort of a definitive guide. I'll post a link here when I've uploaded it (in a few days).

Laochef, could you provide more information about the farm doing yabbies north of Vientiane. I'm in Vientiane at this moment. Yabbies, if I remember correctly, like to tunnel and eat each other. I'd like to do red claw, but I can't find them.

Ozzydom, you've probably mentioned it in another thread, but I'm curious what you sell your tilapia for. In Laos on the Bolaven Plateau where my farm is they are retailing for 30,000 kip (more than 100 baht). Also, I'm going to have to "thin" my tilapia population. Is there any market that you know of for, say, 200 to 300g fish?

Top price in the markets is 90 baht kg,these fish are mainly supplied to vendors by CP from the Mekong cage growers.

As all our sales are farm door we have been at 80 baht kg for a couple of years.

I dont know of a market for 200-300 g fish at this time,as most ponds are still dry.