Parking In Pattaya

Loaderfamily

Can anyone tell me about parking in and around Pattaya as we are moving there with our 2 small children and thinking about buying a pickup or something similarly large, is it anything like the UK where a big pick up would really struggle in car parks or is most parking on the street?

Car parks in Thailand are built to suit trucks, since 80% of the Thais drives a truck. That said, Pattaya city is getting a nightmare regarding parking since they create more busstops ( for buses that don't exist) and taxi stops ( while taxis stop everywhere but their designated taxi stops) and the little space left is used by motorbike rental shops to store their bikes.

Its bad enough trying to park a motor bike in Pattaya, you will have to find your spots, street parking is scarce, third road you might get lucky. Centra Mall on beach road / second road has a multi storey free, Topps on Klang have free period for parking but only for so long, think its same as friendship supermarket, if you get some shopping its a longer period free. The Temple on Pattaya Tai/2nd Road junction 20 baht, but I only use it night time . All stores as in big C Tesco have car parks.

You will spend a lot of time thinking you are in a car park when using the roads west of Sukhumvit especially at weekends when the Bangkok folk come down.

If I am going anywhere in town that does not require the truck for shopping I use my motorbike and that's getting more of a pain.

If you find a space and cant believe your luck, check and check again there is no faded paint restrictions, understand what's an even day and odd day. Check if there are time restrictions. They will and do clamp, tow away and fine. I had the lot with motorbike when I first moved here from Samui.

p.s odd day is 1st 3rd 5th of month etc and even day 2nd 4th 6th etc.

pps If I were you I would press the report button bottom left of your post page and ask a mod to move to Pattaya forum, get far more answers and tips.

Edited by marstons

Yes parking here is a nightmare, especially a car/truck and I do as marstons: take the bike when no big shopping is required, but in your case not really an option.

A warning: Some shop owners consider the parking space outside their shop as part of the shop and there have been examples of people parking on such a spot (not using the shop) only to come back to find a flat tire.

You can always park at shopping centers, some are free unlimited and some are free for 1 hours and then you pay a fee after that.

Regardles of what you are driving, unless you are prepared to use the 'free' parking at the likes of Big-C (2nd Road), Tesco (North Road), Tops (Center Road) or Wat Chaimongkol (South Road) and use the local baht buses and motor cycle taxis for zipping to various smaller shopping venues and markets, then it will be pretty frustrating and time wasting exercise. As pointed out, open kerb side parking is at a severe premium with shop-house owners blocking their otherwise empty 12m kerb slot with chairs or buckets or lines of rental motorcycles taking up the rest of any free space. The yellow/white 'bus stops' can get you either ticketed or wheel-clamped... but not enforced every day and weekends tends to see them filled up with 'illegaly' parked cars and pickups without any police interference. You take your chances. Weekends are a total shambles!

I drive a pickup and if unable to get a slot kerb side outside my buddies restaurant, I will park underground at Royal Garden, hoof it to my chosen destination and happily pay the fee. If you pop inside the mall and get the ticket stamped, it may get you a free short-term parking or otherwise reduce a longer-term stay. I paid 180 baht to get my truck at 3am after I parked it there around 3pm the previous afternoon (stamped ticket). That was a great night out BTW!

One thing to be especially careful about is parking in any open kerbside parking that has been claimed by a team of motorcycle rental guys. For some reason, they DO NOT operate out of yello/white bus stops. It's hard to spot the difference if only one of say eight drivers is actually out on a run and you get some oik yelling at your for what appears to be bugger all. Sometimes they may politely tell you to move but in my experience, they are mostly instantly rude and agressive so don't even try and be smart-mouthed with them.

Edited by NanLaew