Miss Universe Smashes Pirated Products In Phuket

webfact

Miss Universe smashes pirated products in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Miss Universe 2005 Natalie Glebova joined officials as they destroyed pirated goods worth about 216 million baht in a ceremony in Phuket today, which was held to demonstrate Thailand’s dedication to protecting intellectual property rights.

"We are here to increase the awareness of consumers about counterfeit designer goods and to encourage them to say ‘no’ to pirated products. By completely destroying these products we can increase the confidence of brand owners that these illegal copies will not end up back on the market,” said Deputy Commerce Minister Nattawut Saikua, who chaired the ceremony.

Mr Nattawut, Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut and Miss Glebova all grabbed hammers for the event and took part in smashing some of the 94,210 counterfeit items seized by Region 8 and Region 9 Police, as well as Region 4 customs.

Fake copies of designer brand-name clothes, sunglasses, purses, shoes and watches were among the many items destroyed during the ceremony.

"Because of the importance of protecting producers’ intellectual property rights, we have set up the National Intellectual Property Rights Protection Center," Mr Nattawut explained.

The new center, dedicated to improving communication between different agencies in charge of protecting intellectual property rights, was established at the Ministry of Commerce in Bangkok last month.

"Within the center, different organizations are assigned separate responsibilities geared toward putting an end to intellectual property rights infringement. The Department of Special Investigations is responsible for investigation and suppression; the Office of the Attorney General will continue to press charges and apply the laws of Thailand in court; and the Department of Intellectual Property will focus on public relations in order to increase public awareness,” Mr Nattawut said.

"We have to gain the trust of foreign investors who want to come and establish business in Thailand," he added.

Despite regularly destroying hundreds of millions of baht of pirated goods a year, Thailand struggles to shake the image of being a hub for counterfeit goods.

Most recently the Kingdom found itself in the international spotlight after Lady Gaga landed in Bangkok for her “Born this Way Ball” performance in May last year.

Shortly after her arrival, the pop star tweeted to over 24 million Twitter followers, “I just landed in Bangkok baby! Ready for 50,000 screaming Thai monsters. I wanna get lost in a lady market and buy a fake Rolex."

In response, the Commerce Ministry’s Intellectual Property Department officially expressed its disappointment to the US Embassy, reported The Nation.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Miss-Universe-smashes-pirated-products-in-Phuket-20359.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-03-01

Thailand struggles to shake the image of being a hub for counterfeit goods.

Hubbaguitar.gif Hubbaguitar.gif

And again...

Shortly after her arrival, the pop star tweeted to over 24 million Twitter followers, “I just landed in Bangkok baby! Ready for 50,000 screaming Thai monsters. I wanna get lost in a lady market and buy a fake Rolex."

In response, the Commerce Ministry’s Intellectual Property Department officially expressed its disappointment to the US Embassy, reported The Nation.

Yes...

"Please stop your famous people telling the truth about Thailand. It spoils our image. We'll slip you a few baht if you can keep 'em quiet."

Edited by JetsetBkk

She should visit Pantip or Bangkok, or any of 10,000 pharmacys, could keep her busy for years.

My favorite is the hawkers as you get off the escalator on the thrid floor of Pantip; shoving a picture of a hairy P in your face and asking if you want to buy a video. Where are the government sensors when you need them? There inside the little shop is a guy with a computer and several DVD burners, blank disks and a color printer. No original videos anywhere. Just push a button and print money. Oh there is a small cost; what do poor quality DVD's cost in bulk, and some plastic sleves, and printer paper? Not much. So if you sell 100 movies or software titles for 100 baht each that is a tidy profit. There are 4-5 guys hawking and one guy burning. So you split 10K six ways, 1,600 baht a day doing nothing. It's all cash too, bet they report earning minimum wage on their tax returns too.

All to please the Americans who know very well that copies increase the turnover of expensive brands not diminish it. Not only is it incomprehensible that a middle class let alone lower class person has the purchase power to get the real thing , he or she will if they finally get the money.

But never mind, the chances are that the police went to see honest producers to ask for overstock that they could publicly demolish. It is all about the show, nothing more nothing less. Pirated computer software and movies have gone, we get it including books from the internet and nobody is able to stop it.

Copyright lawyers are not interested in alternative ways to settle the problem, they would be out of business after all if we were about to pay a bit more on our internet bills in order to be allowed to up and download.

Geeze,is Natalie still trying to find something to do in Thailand?

Never could stomach that woman, she’s like an honorary Thai backside kisser wanabe.

In the past I’ve seen a few farangs like her on Thai TV. There was that bald headed Australian guy with the big jumbo elephant ears, the singing brother and sister and that old Australian woman journalist who was practically kissing her guests feet during her interviews, but can’t remember they’re names.

I hate writing negative comments on this site as there are so many already, but I have to believe that the selves that were emptied of all of these counterfeit goods are by now full again, and with the same products. Have seen it happen so many times before. They other day they raided the Mike Shopping Mall and yesterday it was filled back up with the same product. Or they suddenly got the name brand manufacturers to give them product at 95% off. That must be it! What was I thinking?