Thai, Malaysian Leaders Say Thaksin Involved In Peace Process

webfact

Thai, Malaysian leaders say Thaksin involved in peace process
By English News

1362105707.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR, Mar 1 – Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has played a role in an agreement towards peace process, signed between Thailand and a Muslim insurgent group in the Malaysian capital on Thursday, according to Thai and Malaysian prime ministers.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak expressed his appreciation to Mr Thaksin for pushing ahead with negotiations and said he hoped it will lead to enduring resolutions and peace in Thailand’s Muslim-predominant far South.

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra confirmed her brother’s involvement which led to the signing of an agreement between Thailand and a southern militant group in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.

“Like all Thai citizens, he (Mr Thaksin) wants peace in his home country. Please don’t misinterpret his intention,” she said. “This is a national agenda which everyone should have a hand in solving it. Don’t implicate it to politics.”

Thai National Security Council secretary general Paradorn Pattanatabutr signed a deal with a liaison chief of the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) militant group in Kuala Lumpur earlier on Thursday as an overture to peace process.

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck met with Mr Najib later in the day at the Malaysian government headquarters of Putrajaya.

She told a news conference after the meeting that Thailand was willing to hold talks with all parties involved to resolve the unrest in southern border provinces.

She complimented her Malaysian counterpart for his full support to end insurgency in Thailand’s southern region, adding that Thai and Malaysian officials will continue their collaboration in the peace process.

Mr Najib said Malaysia was willing to facilitate talks between Thai authorities and relevant stakeholders, and hoped that Thursday’s signing of the "general consensus document to launch a dialogue process for peace" will lead to talks with other rebel groups in the future.

"Malaysia is pleased to serve as the facilitator for these talks, and we will see the negotiations begin with a fortnight," Mr Najib said, adding that he would like to thank Mr Thaksin Shinawatra for jointly coordinating with both sides which leads negotiations. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-01

• Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose the first page of this thread will be filled with apologies from those who denied Thaksin's involvement not so long ago. Perhaps not.

Probably not. As I said before. I never bet on a three legged horse.

“Like all Thai citizens, he (Mr Thaksin) wants peace in his home

country. Please don’t misinterpret his intention,” she said. “This is a

national agenda which everyone should have a hand in solving it. Don’t

implicate it to politics.”

After how Thaksin handled the situation in early 2000, by reversing everything that had been done prior to manage peace, and actually ordered executions of these people through his "war on drugs policy". How else can this be seen, as only, politically motivated? Could people be so stupid as to think otherwise?

Only people with an I Q equal to room temperature C.

I also did forget to slip in "except for Yingluck and her avid supporters", after "stupid"

Very sad him geting involved with serious life and death issues, all too often his involvement here or abroad results in bloodshed. Not so long ago the UN wasn't his father-perhaps he'd better remain an orphan.

Well, Thaksin has a long and sordid history of using (abusing actually) his position for his own benefit and political gain; but who knows, maybe this time there won't be any strings attached or self serving deals brokered.

Too bad being a PM by proxy he is unaccountable to the Thai people and there's no mechanism (i.e. parliamentary debate, as in a real democracy) to shed light into what is going on behind the scenes. We'll just have to trust him.

• Like 2

What happens to the Bombers today? Are they a different group or can not read about peace treaty or do not not care?

Please tell me I thought.

The concern is that the younger generation of more radicalised separatists / insurgents (Juwae) are apparently carrying out many of the armed attacks. It is claimed the Juwae have an alternate cell command structure to the the older generation of leaders who are engaging in the negotiations. Should the exploratory talks make progress, the challenge to engage the Juwae for cessation of violence will be critical, as well as the army's co-operation in following political orders.

• Like 1

If school children can go to school without fear of bombs going off - I would ask Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny for help. If Thaksin can make something positive happen, he should be acknowledged. He still has a LONG way to go to dig out of his Karmic hole though...

• Like 2

What happens to the Bombers today?

Dunno about all of them, but I know one guy has gone back to weaving rattan baskets, another is taking likay dance lessons, and a third is auditioning for Yala's Got Talent.

What happens to the Bombers today?

Dunno about all of them, but I know one guy has gone back to weaving rattan baskets, another is taking likay dance lessons, and a third is auditioning for Yala's Got Talent.

Boom! Boom!

• Like 1

Well, Thaksin has a long and sordid history of using (abusing actually) his position for his own benefit and political gain; but who knows, maybe this time there won't be any strings attached or self serving deals brokered.

Too bad being a PM by proxy he is unaccountable to the Thai people and there's no mechanism (i.e. parliamentary debate, as in a real democracy) to shed light into what is going on behind the scenes. We'll just have to trust him.

If the bombing this morning in Narathiwat OR the bombing this afternoon in Narathiwat is any indication, some people might have doubts about his trustworthiness.

• Like 2

Considering the news that a bomb went off in the South just 12 hours after this news, points to the fact that this is all just PR and political posturing to launder Thaksin's image.

They've seen his BS before on the issue of peace in the South...

Not surprised in the least that Thaksin (ver. 1.0) could become involved in Thaksin (ver. 4.0)'s efforts in the South.

Just hope that this doesn't turn out to be the same farcical nonsense that Thaksin (ver. 2.0) tried to pull off before failing miserably with their ruse five years ago.

Southern Insurgents Announce Ceasefire

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/200628-southern-insurgents-announce-ceasefire/

That Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin's avowed brother, Police Lieutenant-General Paradorn, is heading up this latest move is cause for scrutiny.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/589636-ties-with-thaksin-not-behind-rise-to-top-of-national-security-counci-paradorn/?view=findpost&p=5733960

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/592948-slowly-surely-the-shinawatra-dynasty-tightens-its-grip/?view=findpost&p=5795350

I hope two of the demands from the Muslim side during the negotiations are the people who were responsible for the Krue Sae mosque and the Tak Bai massacre have charges brought against them with an ensuing trial.

I venture that the only reasons these muslim groups will allow Thaksin to be involved,

is they hope to get him localized and blown to kingdom come precisely for

"the Krue Sae mosque and the Tak Bai massacres".

Never give up hope.

I hope two of the demands from the Muslim side during the negotiations are the people who were responsible for the Krue Sae mosque and the Tak Bai massacre have charges brought against them with an ensuing trial.

The trial should be under the Shariah law.

The trial should be under the Shariah law.

<deleted> why? Hasn't law evolved in the last 1500 years? If nothing else we've decided that slavery and sexual abuse of children are not acceptable.

Edited by OzMick

Well, last year when we had the rumour of k. Thaksin trying to negotiate a peace, he only non-denied with "Who am I to do such a thing"

BTW no apologies will be forthcoming from former deniers of Thaksin involvement. Most are no longer amongst us it seems

• Like 1

Talk about calling the pot black , Thaksin took them on , head on , with knee jerk, spontaneous actions, no forethought or risk analyst, which damage relelations however fragile , probably forever for some, next he will be running the agenda for the world drug suppression unit.bah.gif

Edited by chainarong

Perhaps he is involved as he wishes to keep an eye or maybe keep a lid on any information that could damage his reputation or even land him in trouble.

If you wish to control an outcome, you have to be involved in the process.

He is claimed to be living under a Muslim host.

Edited by Briggsy

What a bizarre story. After Tak Bai, I would have thought there would be a contractout on Thaksin, rather than a position at some sort of south Thailand peace brokering...... This has to be some sort of feel good bullshit cooked up as part of the whitewashing of Thaksin.

• Like 1

Perhaps he is involved as he wishes to keep an eye or maybe keep a lid on any information that could damage his reputation or even land him in trouble.

If you wish to control an outcome, you have to be involved in the process.

He is claimed to be living under a Muslim host.

I've never considered the irony of that. He is holed up in Dubai, yet he's no friend of the Muslim population in southern Thailand.