Where To Take Thai G/f For First Foreign Holiday ?

lookingeast

My wife lives with me here in Greece at the mo, but she has said on a few occasions that when we move back to Thailand she wants to visit Vietnam and Korea. Not been myself either, so I think we will be doing that! Not a long flight to either of them too!

Take her on a trek in Nepal! The Poon Hill is a good starter and a few days on Pokkara lake is nice, Katmandu is interesting as well! There are many other options but Nepal is amazing!

Nepal sadly is a pretty crap experience now. Id say its 100% about the trek. People are still decent, but the culture broken and gone and temples uncared for. I cant second Kathmandu and sad to state it.

BUT the trek to Poon Hill is a great idea. If you have two weeks, do the Annapurna. It is not too dificult and will be a highlight of her life. AA flies direct to KTM visa on arrival.for Thsis.

Good call!

PS very surprised wife liked simple Nepali food. Shocked really.

Edited by bangkokburning

Took mine to HK. She liked the place but not the food. I felt the same. She wants to go to Korea as well. Those period dramas late at night have got her interested.

YES Korea! Korea is the rage now.

Funny we have done daytrips in Seoul 2x now (wife has childhood friend married there). Shine has come off the apple..it's very clean but a total bore. Wife after now traveling so much with me has seen how Koreans behave and dislikes them almost as much as I do.

We both were good w the food. Healthy, clean and cheap.

I'd lived in Korea many years ago - or tried to. Really got a hate on fir the people. As a tourist you are treated quite ok though. Working you are subjected to all sorts of bullshit nonsense.

Korea + snow = great experience or go in autumn when the leaves are changing and do some hikes. Koreans love hiking.

If the Thai gf comes from the poor, rural parts of Thailand (not a big city girl) her likings for travel will be different than a Westerner's. She most likely will not be impressed to see the old, French delapadated buildings of Hanoi, the beaches of Bali (have those in Thailand), or the poverety of Manila. She will want to see organized modern cities with skyscrapers...clean cities at that. Sights that are historical are not important for her since she most likely was not educated about world history. So Hong Kong would be great. Modern, easy to get around; yet, some scenic places to go to also. There is also Disneyland for her to enjoy. With many Thais, having their "own food" is very important so plan on locating some Thai restaurants to satisfy herThai taste or she may not enjoy herself 100% because of no spicy Thai food around (pack some spicy Ma-Ma noodles for emergencies. \

At customs, she may be questioned by the Thai and the other country's visa person on why she is leaving/ arriving..how long she is staying... Warn her before hand so she doesn't freak out. Make sure she has an updated passport and doesn't need a visa for that country. SE Asian countries she will not need a visa.

Edited by toenail

If the Thai gf comes from the poor, rural parts of Thailand (not a big city girl) her likings for travel will be different than a Westerner's. She most likely will not be impressed to see the old, French delapadated buildings of Hanoi, the beaches of Bali (have those in Thailand), or the poverety of Manila. She will want to see organized modern cities with skyscrapers...clean cities at that. Sights that are historical are not important for her since she most likely was not educated about world history. So Hong Kong would be great. Modern, easy to get around; yet, some scenic places to go to also. There is also Disneyland for her to enjoy. With many Thais, having their "own food" is very important so plan on locating some Thai restaurants to satisfy herThai taste or she may not enjoy herself 100% because of no spicy Thai food around (pack some spicy Ma-Ma noodles for emergencies. \

At customs, she may be questioned by the Thai and the other country's visa person on why she is leaving/ arriving..how long she is staying... Warn her before hand so she doesn't freak out. Make sure she has an updated passport and doesn't need a visa for that country. SE Asian countries she will not need a visa.

With many Thais, having their "own food" is very important so plan on locating some Thai restaurants to satisfy herThai taste or she may not enjoy herself 100% because of no spicy Thai food around (pack some spicy Ma-Ma noodles for emergencies.

True. If you plan ahead, you can find some really good Thai food, and a hotel nearby. We stayed in Kowloon, and had a very good Thai restaurant within 100 meters. A lot of other really good food too. The Mrs. Really appreciated that. We ate there every day.

Why would you go to Borocay when you could just go to any number of islsnds and bungalows here?

Yeah, reflect how crappy and broken Phils is and how it makes Thailand look first world in comparison.

So you seek out hot, spicy food. Only place you are going to have trouble is Philippines.

Remember, it's a holiday not a permenent move. I'd say from my exp traveling with wife its lack of rice even more than spicy food as the issue. She's a pretty good sport and I try and get rice for us whenever possible. Also why when she whines about rice or food I get a bit upset because I really try to accomodate her. I can eat rice everyday and for breakfast no problem. So when it's not there or total hassle to make at moment I can be a bit agitated. I often tell her...you think some other white guy would care this much that you eat rice and Thai food? Never.

When traveling, all Asian countries I force her to eat local and in US there is always something to try. Id say ishe usually at least likes it, at times a big hit. Often she is very surprised, wow good ☺! But she loves to travel and adventures.

I think the old adage about taking thw woman out of Thai but not Thai out of the woman is somewhat dead. The 45 and under crowd want to see the world and understand well enough that they arent going to have a Thai restaurant on every corner.

We have done a few Tgai restaurants, generally run by Chinese and pretty bad as well as expensive. Thus has also aided her learning experience. Why bother.

If she can't go a day without pu pah lah, you might want to rethink the trip though.

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

Why would you go to Borocay when you could just go to any number of islsnds and bungalows here?

Yeah, reflect how crappy and broken Phils is and how it makes Thailand look first world in comparison.

So you seek out hot, spicy food. Only place you are going to have trouble is Philippines.

Remember, it's a holiday not a permenent move. I'd say from my exp traveling with wife its lack of rice even more than spicy food as the issue. She's a pretty good sport and I try and get rice for us whenever possible. Also why when she whines about rice or food I get a bit upset because I really try to accomodate her. I can eat rice everyday and for breakfast no problem. So when it's not there or total hassle to make at moment I can be a bit agitated. I often tell her...you think some other white guy would care this much that you eat rice and Thai food? Never.

When traveling, all Asian countries I force her to eat local and in US there is always something to try. Id say ishe usually at least likes it, at times a big hit. Often she is very surprised, wow good ☺! But she loves to travel and adventures.

I think the old adage about taking thw woman out of Thai but not Thai out of the woman is somewhat dead. The 45 and under crowd want to see the world and understand well enough that they arent going to have a Thai restaurant on every corner.

We have done a few Tgai restaurants, generally run by Chinese and pretty bad as well as expensive. Thus has also aided her learning experience. Why bother.

If she can't go a day without pu pah lah, you might want to rethink the trip though.

I like to dump the whole "Asian" thing,get away from the culture for a while,the Philippines allows that,and only 3 hours away

I'd second the above - the phils is a move away from the whole "Asian" thing in a sense - if that makes sense!? As for why Borocay and not a Thai beach resort? Well, the answer is is the question - because its NOT a Thai beach resort. My then gf and I found it refreshing to visit a clean and very beautiful beach where there wasn't deadly traffic, awful locals, worse tourists and a nightlife which revolves largely around the sex industry. Its sure to have changed some in the 6 years since I was there but going on reports from friends who have been there recently, not much. I'm thinking very seriously about a holiday there with my now wife and our two kids this year.

Edited by GooEng

I like to dump the whole "Asian" thing,get away from the culture for a while,the Philippines allows that,and only 3 hours away

Siem Reap offers similar by virtue of it existing almost exclusively for tourists.

There is the added benefit of having Angkor Wat. if anyone has not been, they should add it to their bucket list - particularly as it is on the doorstep.

I'd second the above - the phils is a move away from the whole "Asian" thing in a sense - if that makes sense!? As for why Borocay and not a Thai beach resort? Well, the answer is is the question - because its NOT a Thai beach resort. My then gf and I found it refreshing to visit a clean and very beautiful beach where there wasn't deadly traffic, awful locals, worse tourists and a nightlife which revolves largely around the sex industry. Its sure to have changed some in the 6 years since I was there but going on reports from friends who have been there recently, not much. I'm thinking very seriously about a holiday there with my now wife and our two kids this year.

Yeah, I know what you mean...ugly, pollution, noise, full of sex tourists...I wouldn't go there if I were you either.

I mean...what the hell do I know

post-87028-0-51719300-1362577215_thumb.j

post-87028-0-54029900-1362577239_thumb.j

post-87028-0-33165900-1362577259_thumb.j

post-87028-0-81966500-1362577283_thumb.j

post-87028-0-65649700-1362577305_thumb.j

post-87028-0-30144300-1362577336_thumb.j

post-87028-0-97117500-1362577370_thumb.j

post-87028-0-76879200-1362577410_thumb.j

post-87028-0-51167400-1362577445_thumb.j

post-87028-0-96336900-1362577481_thumb.j

post-87028-0-32655400-1362577504_thumb.j

post-87028-0-45880600-1362577524_thumb.j

post-87028-0-11599100-1362577564_thumb.j

post-87028-0-69503100-1362577602_thumb.j

post-87028-0-25580800-1362577625_thumb.j

post-87028-0-83710000-1362577649_thumb.j

Peru. As un-Asian as you can get once you escape some of the Japanese enclaves in Lima. Jungles. Indian villages. Train ride to Machu Pichu and the most easterly point of South America with awesome surf and seafood. She doesn't need a visa (90-days on arrival).

I took a Thai girl there once. Left her there.

• Like 2

Peru. As un-Asian as you can get once you escape some of the Japanese enclaves in Lima. Jungles. Indian villages. Train ride to Machu Pichu and the most easterly point of South America with awesome surf and seafood. She doesn't need a visa (90-days on arrival).

Peru is great! Surf, food, culture, nature. What happened to the girl?

I fell for her Peruvian girlfriend who worked in Houston but was still married and living in Zurich. It's complicated.

• 2 weeks later...