Increasingly Poor Service On The Island

Service on Samui has always been middle to poor, I just wondered if anyone else has noticed a significant downturn recently.

Admittedly we just had a baby so haven't been out much in the past year but have had two "occasions" this week, an anniversary and a birthday.

First one was at the new seafood place in Bangrak, the one with the life size boat in the car park. Ordered food. After an hour nothing arrived, complained to the boss, a Thai David Caradine lookalike, to be told as we were local, he was serving the tourists first???!!!. Promised to give us something as a priority. We have a7 month old kid, and she was getting restless so we both ordered quick starters. 30 minutes later still nothing. The baby starts crying, waiter asks if we can move to another table as we are disturbing others. David comes over and says that the food will be 15 minutes but please move to the table near car park....I loose it and walk out.

Then today at a 5 star place up where the restaurant looks like a canal boat. I am served a chicken dish raw inside at 800 baht a shot. Complain send back. New one come out worse than the first. Complain. Third one comes out worse than the previous two. Ask to see manager,he says chicken served rare always looks like that.......... I wish I was joking.

Just two random places, but it seems to be even in supermarkets, shops and other service places that the I don give a f@&k attitude is comomplace and almost proudly delivered with relish and sesame bun on top.

• Like 1

Several places on my "not go back to list" .... sometimes give a second chance.... but yes there is definitely could not give a "s--t attitude with number of restaurants.... even a few I have been going to for a number of years....

I complained about a meal last week at one place in Maenam, I had been to a few times, but it was a shrug the shoulders attitude.... I won't be back!

There are always places that try to 'up their game' and there are those that 'sit on their laurels'.

You have all done the correct thing.

If it is not good enough - walk. They will not survive. You will.

There are some like Daetong in Bangrak that live off the visiting ships/Chinese-Korean tour groups etc (Been there twice. First time great - second time - crapp. I might give them one more chance.)

However, one day - the short term tourists will go somewhere else (for a better kick-back). The succesful businesses recognise that some of us live here all year round and treat us with some respect. The main weapon up our sleeve - more places close than those that stay open. Vote with your wallet. Ocean 11 Bangrak yesterday. Outstanding service - excellent food. I'll be back for sure.

(Sorry oldsailor - I do not do the chicken bins!)

3rd time lucky

i would expect more from a 5 star place. maybe write on agoda a bad review but you would have to stay at the hotel where the restaurent is first.

i noticed allot of 5 star hotels take the piss by trying to get that bit more extra out of the customers by charging for wifi. i really hate that and never go backk to those hotels again. specially if it is 5 star.

or they have the excuse that they only have free wifi in the lobby.

in this day and age wifi should be free in all hotels specially when paying top dollar

• Like 2

There are always places that try to 'up their game' and there are those that 'sit on their laurels'.

You have all done the correct thing.

If it is not good enough - walk. They will not survive. You will.

There are some like Daetong in Bangrak that live off the visiting ships/Chinese-Korean tour groups etc (Been there twice. First time great - second time - crapp. I might give them one more chance.)

However, one day - the short term tourists will go somewhere else (for a better kick-back). The succesful businesses recognise that some of us live here all year round and treat us with some respect. The main weapon up our sleeve - more places close than those that stay open. Vote with your wallet. Ocean 11 Bangrak yesterday. Outstanding service - excellent food. I'll be back for sure.

(Sorry oldsailor - I do not do the chicken bins!)

I go out several times a week for dinner and lunch, last meal at Barracuda in Maenam, voted No. 1 in Samui on Trip Advisor, well, surely it is not, but, service was good, food also good (not too big of a menu, and the owner (German I think) always around and helps and talks to guests. Not the best location, but always pretty much booked. Ocean 11 in Bangrak dito, not cheap, but quality of food is very good, service is excellent, atmosphere great. Daetong was a bity iffy, food took quiet long and by the time it arrives it wasn't hot anymore. Will give a second shot soon. Prego always busy, service excellent, food also consistent and Chef always around to assist. Orgasmic not that busy, but also innovative cuisine, service can be a bit slow when busy, but overall would also go again. Nikki Beach on Sundays has improved its food selection, Beach Republic was always a notch ahead. Service also good at both places.

At the end of the day guests (tourists and locals) local for good service (especially when they bring guests) and value for money. There can be a hick up everywhere, and if things are sorted out then fine, with a 'don't care' attitude business owners won't last long.

• Like 2

A friend of mine who has lived in Thailand for many years but never been to samui was quite shocked as to how much more friendly and polite the Thai peole and forangs are reound here dcompared to the rest of Thailand. Such as Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin extra. so it is not all bad maybe we a a little spoilt lol

same as everywhere,some good some bad.We are tolerated for the money we bring to the kingdom,tourists and expats alike,and when good service and food are found its a reminder of how great it is here.

Sorry but are you saying thai restranteurs "tolerate" their customers!? If thats the case, which i'm sure it isn't, then they deserve to be empty and go bust.

If you are trying to say the national emphasis here is all about good food and far less about good service or the importance of it then you are right.

Good service here is a happy friendly smile when it comes to thai restaurants.

(For the record, most of the many western restaurants i have eaten in here over the years have served relatively average western food at very high prices and the service was about ok.)

• Like 1

One of my pet hates is go to the chicken bins at Macro and see as i did yesterday, a woman up to her elbows in the chicken legs, no plastic gloves or bag on her hands, madly pushing pieces aside even with her forearm, to find what she thinks are the choice pieces.Then she went to the pork bellies and repeated the action,about 10 mins later she was doing the same in the prawns. No washing facilities there, she must have stank by the time she got home.

Not to mention the cross contamination!!!!

I can't remember the last time I got bad service for anything though I tend to only use businesses which have shown themself to be good in the past. I'm very demanding but also very loyal and work hard at pushing more business their way. I do have a couple of very dear Thai friends who I go to should I need something or some information which is invaluable.

As Rooo says, you get bad service everywhere... it is up to you to solve it.

The title is very deceiving & a generalization reflecting on the Island as a whole. You couldn't be further from the truth IMHO.

This comment I presume is from a recent arrival on the island?

If you look back over the last 10 years or so, things have changed dramatically on the island, from the availability of products, to the level of service from employees, as they are now exposed more & more to foreigners..

Sure you are going to get bad service every now & then, this is not a unique trait only in Samui . Bangkok, any city in the world with prevalent tourism activities.

You have a workforce that is migratory in most cases, they come here to make a living out of tourism & it's high seasons. Sure some of them are ignorant or not trained.

If you base your opinions by your dinning experience, I do not think it's fair, there are a lot more services on the island then just restaurants that you have managed to tar with the same brush with the title you have opted to use..

Thanks for the perspective Roo.

Agreed that things have changed in 10 years, I actually worked in one of the first proper five star hotels here 11 years ago, so not really a recent arrival, more of a re- arrival.

My point is that the Island more and more is branding itself 5 star, and charges a premium with that, but misses the service requirement by a mile. Not just on dining, thinking about supermarkets, airport staff, transportation executives (taxi drivers) and a lot of the branded tour companies.

I work in a 5 star hotel, and it is nigh on impossible to recruit staff with a can do attitude or service minded style. My colleagues from the same brand find the same in Phuket, Bkk and Hua Hin, so it isn't just a Samui issue.

The problem starts at the hospitality schools and increasingly also from a sharp change in the mentality of many of the government agencies responsible for tourism related matters.

My post wasn't intended as a Samui bash nor to mislead, more to stimulate a debate into others experiences, as I feel after 12 years in Thailand that the atmosphere and mentality is changing, maybe a lot of innocence has been lost. But again generalising, tourists and customers in general are being taken for granted, rather than being nurtured into repeat business.

Perhaps it is an inevitable spiral, but it is a massive shame.

The title is very deceiving & a generalization reflecting on the Island as a whole. You couldn't be further from the truth IMHO.

This comment I presume is from a recent arrival on the island?

If you look back over the last 10 years or so, things have changed dramatically on the island, from the availability of products, to the level of service from employees, as they are now exposed more & more to foreigners..

Sure you are going to get bad service every now & then, this is not a unique trait only in Samui . Bangkok, any city in the world with prevalent tourism activities.

You have a workforce that is migratory in most cases, they come here to make a living out of tourism & it's high seasons. Sure some of them are ignorant or not trained.

If you base your opinions by your dinning experience, I do not think it's fair, there are a lot more services on the island then just restaurants that you have managed to tar with the same brush with the title you have opted to use..

Thanks for the perspective Roo.

Agreed that things have changed in 10 years, I actually worked in one of the first proper five star hotels here 11 years ago, so not really a recent arrival, more of a re- arrival.

My point is that the Island more and more is branding itself 5 star, and charges a premium with that, but misses the service requirement by a mile. Not just on dining, thinking about supermarkets, airport staff, transportation executives (taxi drivers) and a lot of the branded tour companies.

I work in a 5 star hotel, and it is nigh on impossible to recruit staff with a can do attitude or service minded style. My colleagues from the same brand find the same in Phuket, Bkk and Hua Hin, so it isn't just a Samui issue.

The problem starts at the hospitality schools and increasingly also from a sharp change in the mentality of many of the government agencies responsible for tourism related matters.

My post wasn't intended as a Samui bash nor to mislead, more to stimulate a debate into others experiences, as I feel after 12 years in Thailand that the atmosphere and mentality is changing, maybe a lot of innocence has been lost. But again generalising, tourists and customers in general are being taken for granted, rather than being nurtured into repeat business.

Perhaps it is an inevitable spiral, but it is a massive shame.

This government and the last few have tried to brand Thailand as a first world country, do you believe it is?

No. Nor would we want it to be.

However, we are aspiring to be a First World Tourist destination, certainly charging equivalent prices in the Hotels. We must be able to deliver the service to match that pricing.

They are not providing the training or policies at College or government level to make that even close to realistic.

Given the reliance on tourist dollars for the economy to prosper, it should be a priority

I never thought that you were writing, I thought that you were just picking up crumbs for the cracker that you were eating that fell on your keyboard!

• Like 2

They have a new Tourism University / College on samui. What do they do there?

You say a "new" college.

Just how long have they been promoting tourism on samui?

Training is a business responsibility and not one for the customers to suffer from the lack of it.

They have a new Tourism University / College on samui. What do they do there?

Believe it or not, they run the cabin crew programmes from there. The hospitality and tourism courses are mainly on Phuket campus PSU.

Have the check-out girls/boys/others in Tesco Lotus lost their 'Thainess'? wai.gif

When the place first opened - I was always greeted with a smile and a sawasdee ka/khrap. smile.png

Now they do not even make eye contact, and they ignore me when I speak to them. coffee1.gif

Is it just me (should I shave/shower more often) or do others see this as well? blink.png

Just a small moan wink.png

• Like 1