I Think Prices In Thailand For Cars Are Insane!

Not joking, really, who is stupid enough to buy a second and car in Thailand ?

The only Thai I know selling them makes 200k/month because he never sells any car without cheating the meter and many other things...

I must be be pretty dumb cosI have two secondhand cars at the moment. Both a lot more fun than a Jazz or pick-up. I've had a fair mix in my 13-14 yrs here. To be honest I've always managed to sell the secondhand ones on for what I paid and one I traded into a dealer when buying a new car and came out ahead. It's mostly about knowing the market. There are "bargains" to be had. You just have to forget the "price in Europe" nonsense. Of course if you don't have the cash in the first place, well no point teasing yourself and stick to a Jazz. I dislike auto gearboxes and the four door saloons here are for fuddy duddies.

I must be be pretty dumb cosI have two secondhand cars at the moment. Both a lot more fun than a Jazz or pick-up. I've had a fair mix in my 13-14 yrs here. To be honest I've always managed to sell the secondhand ones on for what I paid and one I traded into a dealer when buying a new car and came out ahead. It's mostly about knowing the market. There are "bargains" to be had. You just have to forget the "price in Europe" nonsense. Of course if you don't have the cash in the first place, well no point teasing yourself and stick to a Jazz. I dislike auto gearboxes and the four door saloons here are for fuddy duddies.

To forget the "price in Europe nonsense" actually means forgetting common sense and money sense.

I have the cash to buy a 4 Million THB E 250 , but I won't because it is a stupid price .

Comparing to other cars in Thailand is reasonable, comparing to prices in Europe (where in Europe BTW, lots of different prices there) simply makes no sense at all. (Unless you want to import).

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, this is what I was thinking before but if you think twice you will understand how much you are wrong.

Buy a cheap E250 in EU and you still look like a scumbag, but here, this 4M car brings you a status that you could get nowhere in the developed world.

Also, common sense should help you to understand that this car here will keep its value for many many years.

No price is stupid but I was stupid to think this way.

If you do not want to spend 4 millions just buy a cheap new CLA for 2.5 because it is already a good car, and only 1.5 millions more than in US (sold $30000 there).

I also didn't want to spend millions for a car here but then everything else is so cheap, we pay no tax (except if we are silly), and so many advantages, so I think that a Merc is really worth its price !

What else are you going to do with the money ? Fight with a retarded house builder to get a house finished and put it in a Thai name ? I prefer to waste 4M in a Benz that will be MY PROPERTY.

Enjoy yourself, buy the new E250 that will be launched next year !

Edited by Fgis

Funny, this is what I was thinking before but if you think twice you will understand how much you are wrong.

Buy a cheap E250 in EU and you still look like a scumbag, but here, this 4M car brings you a status that you could get nowhere in the developed world.

A status that you will show to poor thai guys who don't have anything ? What's the point ?

Sorry I don't know any poor people. The poorest I know drive a C200 the cheapest ugly one :-)

Buying expensive goods is not only for status, it is also because they look nicer ! My homes do not look like Somchai the farmer or Motosai house also :--)

The poorest here still have enough to eat, so I really feel nothing that they cannot buy a Merc :-)

• Like 1

Also, common sense should help you to understand that this car here will keep its value for many many years.

If you do not want to spend 4 millions just buy a cheap new CLA for 2.5 because it is already a good car, and only 1.5 millions more than in US (sold $30000 there).

I also didn't want to spend millions for a car here but then everything else is so cheap, we pay no tax (except if we are silly), and so many advantages, so I think that a Merc is really worth its price !

What else are you going to do with the money ? Fight with a retarded house builder to get a house finished and put it in a Thai name ? I prefer to waste 4M in a Benz that will be MY PROPERTY.

Thank you for vindicating me .

You have absolutely no money sense.

• Like 1

The only Thai I know selling them makes 200k/month because he never sells any car without cheating the meter and many other things...

To forget the "price in Europe nonsense" actually means forgetting common sense and money sense.

I have the cash to buy a 4 Million THB E 250 , but I won't because it is a stupid price .

If the 4 mil was your entire net worth I'd agree. But what I spend on cars is a lot less than the income tax I would be paying every year in the UK. That cost alone would make a 'cheap' UK car very expensive. So I save on tax and don't have to drive a car that I find boring. It's all a matter of what you are comfortable with and what you can afford.

I wouldn't spend 15mil on a car but I would buy a condo/house for that price.

However if I was far far wealthier I guess buying a car at that price wouldn't be a problem.

Pretty sure there are plenty of Thais who think you are crazy paying 300 baht for a meal when they can get a perfectly good one for 30 baht.. But of course they don't have 300 baht to 'waste' on expensive food..

• Like 1

That's right Pdaz. It depends on your own wealth and the wealth of your friends/family/relatives, could you drive a Ferrari while your brother works for 150 usd per month ? I don't think so. Being rich alone it's not fun, i'm not rich but i have enough money to live how i want and my old friends got nothing, it's a everyday problem for me. One of my friends got money (more than me) and we can do whatever we want again, but all the others can't. They are always saying the same thing "some people need to work to get money, we can't do that or that, bla bla bla". So i understand perfectly what you are talking about :)

• Like 1

So many pretentious people and not enough time.. Most of these people in their own country wouldn't (as my father would say) "have a pot to urinate in" and that's why they're here because here they can pump up their ego to make them feel like royalty with just a few more dollars than the peasants have and then flaunt it like a REAL hiso. At least in their own minds that is, kinda like a legend..

Edited by WarpSpeed

That's right Pdaz. It depends on your own wealth and the wealth of your friends/family/relatives, could you drive a Ferrari while your brother works for 150 usd per month ? I don't think so.

Some members of my family have no problem with it...

we have three cars. two of them were quite a bit more than 4 million Baht each. if people like me who buy expensive cars had no money sense then please tell me... where was the money coming from to pay for them?

tongue.png

for the record: i am neither a bank robber, nor did i win the lottery, nor did i inherit a single penny.

• Like 1

Naam, why bother,only malcontents make remarks. Ive had Company Hi End B.M and Benz for 20 years here, now ive just retired i bought a Civic, the Ferangs who made comment are Teachers who ride Scupies , or somesuch Mopeds.thumbsup.gif

Or maybe less pretentious, more humble & grounded people.. BTW my suggestion about pretentiousness applies more to those who THINK since they've been there that they are suddenly hiso but wouldn't be anywhere else in the world where there is REAL competition... It extends well beyond just what they buy and speaks just as much about how they act..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Naam, why bother,only malcontents make remarks. Ive had Company Hi End B.M and Benz for 20 years here, now ive just retired i bought a Civic, the Ferangs who made comment are Teachers who ride Scupies , or somesuch Mopeds.thumbsup.gif

Or maybe less pretentious, more humble & grounded people.. BTW my suggestion about pretentiousness applies more to those who THINK since they've been there that they are suddenly hiso but wouldn't be anywhere else in the world where there is REAL competition... It extends well beyond just what they buy and speaks just as much about how they act..

The name is the key when you shake it it comes out flat the more you shake it the flatter it gets.

The name is the key when you shake it it comes out flat the more you shake it the flatter it gets.

Ok if you say so? I'm not embarrassed to say that speaking in code though is not my best attribute nor is decoding for that matter, we all have our shortcomings tongue.pngwai2.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Enjoy yourself, buy the new E250 that will be launched next

year !

we have three cars. two of them were quite a bit more than 4 million Baht each. if people like me who buy expensive cars had no money sense then please tell me... where was the money coming from to pay for them?

tongue.png

for the record: i am neither a bank robber, nor did i win the lottery, nor did i inherit a single penny.

You are probably building condos that never get built at the end, right :;)

Had a good laugh reading all the nonsense on this thread from those without money, and those who have reminded us numerous times and in numerous threads how much they have.

To the real car guys, they take pride in taking care of whatever they drive, and admire everyone's ride who does the same, regardless of the price or their income, budget or net worth.

Of course prices in Thailand are insane. The bigger problem is the choice is so limited without spending beyond crazy money. But, those are the rules we live by, and you either have to accept them, or just buy an eco-car or pickup and be done with thinking about cars during your life here.

Than you for setting the record straight . Car prices in Thailand are insane, and that was all I ever wanted to say .

For the rest, whether I, Namm or any other poster here can afford these silly prices is another matter .

Topic closed.

• Like 1

i don't think the poster who claimed he has 4m Baht in cash is a teacher making 50k Baht a month. but that's not the point. i reacted because of his insulting "absolutely no money sense" referring to somebody who buys an (what he thinks) expensive car. it just proves that he has no idea of "money sense" because with any amount of money relativity kicks in.

for a labourer in the rice fields 100,000 Baht cash is a dream and 1 million is beyond his/her comprehension, whereas a clever working girl (same age) might already own a house worth several millions plus a few million in the bank.

• Like 1

This is Good Fun. I bought a Civic because the Series 4 B.M.W. is not available here yet.We all have our own Agendas, but i must say the Honda Seats beats the Bavarian Perk Benches in my Company Mercs.... It Still makes me Chuckle. Naams comment. . The Front Looks Like a Honda Jazz...!!.,biggrin.png . I was told a Nissan Tena looks better by my Old Scratcher.w00t.gif .

Lets look at reality, there isnt much personal, property or income tax collected in thailand, so where does all of the money come from to provide a basically socialist state ? you guessed it corporate and import taxes. By the way if you can afford an expensive car good for you but dont brag about it, thats when you start to look cheap no matter how much money you have.

• Like 1

Doest bother the Socialist Monks in their Benzes, paid for from years off Bullshit and Conning does it..?.. If Yer Got it Flash It .If its not your choise,so be it. Do Stop Bleating you Reds.smile.png

Nothing about socialist, just about humility innit? coffee1.gif ..