Fish Farms 201

David48

I forgot we are now watering the mushrooms from the pond as well, so I should see some benefit from there as well. We have been using city water for about five months now as the pond was low. That is 1,100 baht a month. Things just got cheaper again.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go look at the local seed, feed and fertiliser shop. Usually a big leaky old building run by Chinese Thai families not the small shophouses. They should have both. The molasses is easy to spot. Look for recycled plastic bottles or square jugs (bulk vinegar) from 5 to 10 litres, Plastic jerry cans of about 15 litres. Some even in old Coke 1.5 litre. No labels. The molasses (Gart Narm Tarn) is a heavy product that appears black and thick and smells like... burnt sugar. If you have a sugar mill nearby, they will have it.

If all else fails, go to Tescos or the local store and buy the cheapest sugar you can. 1 litre of molasses or 1 kg of sugar. The more unrefined the sugar the better brown rather than white.

Go look at the local seed, feed and fertiliser shop. Usually a big leaky old building run by Chinese Thai families not the small shophouses. They should have both. The molasses is easy to spot. Look for recycled plastic bottles or square jugs (bulk vinegar) from 5 to 10 litres, Plastic jerry cans of about 15 litres. Some even in old Coke 1.5 litre. No labels. The molasses (Gart Narm Tarn) is a heavy product that appears black and thick and smells like... burnt sugar. If you have a sugar mill nearby, they will have it.

If all else fails, go to Tescos or the local store and buy the cheapest sugar you can. 1 litre of molasses or 1 kg of sugar. The more unrefined the sugar the better brown rather than white.

I used just straight Em at this point.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Dom in your expeirence waht was the growth to market time on Pla Mor?

About 3 years and still only 5 inches long.

Ouch! guess the Thais missed by a mile on three months. It wasnlt shaping up that way to me.

Might be the best thing to stick catfish in there and let them have lunch.

Oh well live and learn.

Edited by ray23

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought you wanted to do Pla Duk Big Oui after visiting my farm ? Why the sudden change of course ? Pla Bu Tong isn't like Pla Duk and in Pla Chon farming (Snakehead fish), you need fresh raw grounded fish meal from raw thrash fishes like Pla Salit, Pla Siu or Pla Salak... and Pla Chon will swim toward the feed area (staged). Unlike Pa Chon, Pla Bu Tong is a stationary predator which prefer live prey swimming across its face...I'm not saying it won't eat raw ground thrash fish meal but it also need to have live prey feed.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Thanks to guide me during the visit .I have 5 thousand pla du for testing.it is about 1.5month ago and only a few fishs die during delivery.

The pond is dug by men because heavy vehicle can not go up to mountain area during raining season .

As I ask for pla bu because I just want to rear for self consumption because normally I don't eat other fresh water fish . I try to use local product the corn and soybean to supplement the feed

at the same area I want to dig another two 1rai pond after raining season

As the scale is very small the price for the feed and fingerling is not only not competitive

rchase

As the scale is very small the price for the feed and fingerling is not only not competitive

The transportation cost can varies from 1baht to 3 baht per kg .Our village is about 180km from chiang mai

I must buy in bulk ( 8k above ) and use 6 wheel truck then i can cut the cost to 1 baht per kg when i make a purchase from Chiang Mai

I have try to use the local product to cut down the feed cost since the area around us produce a lot of corn and soybean.

I also can not rear in big scale because of the market .

I will do multiple product -chicken, fish,potatoes

• 1 month later...

im no expert at fish, or pigs for that matter,

but when i clean the pigs, i put the poo i get out on some tin, and you want to see the amount of magots i get on it in a couple of days,its unbelievable,

but i feed them to both the chicfkens and i give to the fish,, i look at it as free protien,

just my little bit of input

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread or not for my question. If not, I'll move it to Thai language.

What is "pacu" in Thai? I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

PS Is there a thread here on thaivisa which lists the names of fish in English AND Thail?

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread or not for my question. If not, I'll move it to Thai language.

What is "pacu" in Thai? I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

PS Is there a thread here on thaivisa which lists the names of fish in English AND Thail?

Mate, I had to look up the Pacu fish.

If it's the South American freshwater fish, then maybe the Thai don't have a word for it?

Re the thread about the names of Thai fish and their English equivalent ... I've not seen one here in the Farming Forum.

But there is the fishing-in-thailand Forum ... maybe they know. That's a link you can click.

EDIT ... if you do find that Fish naming thread ... drop back and list it here ... certainly would be worth a read.

Edited by David48

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...