Patong Helicopter

GiantFan

For the last week or so, a small helicopter has been buzzing my house on the hills of N. Patong. This afternoon, about every 15 minutes. Comes over my house towards Patong Bay, turns to the left and then swings back a few minutes later and heads along Patong Hill Road toward Kathu.

I was thinking maybe that company out by the airport (Skydance?), but no way they can get from Patong to the airport, land, and then get back in 15 minutes. Bangkok BIB doing land surveys? Don't think so, they just came over again (6:10PM) and these guys are not working this late. I wish they would stop. Apocalypse Now flashbacks. This is the End!

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Sea pearl villas up the hill on the way out of Patong to Kathu have a helicopter and heli pad apparently. The Pilot was doing his sea survival training at the same time as me in bkk last year, he said they were gonna start doing tours over phuket and neigbouring islands. Could be them?

Sea pearl villas up the hill on the way out of Patong to Kathu have a helicopter and heli pad apparently. The Pilot was doing his sea survival training at the same time as me in bkk last year, he said they were gonna start doing tours over phuket and neigbouring islands. Could be them?

Oh great. Not only are they causing aggro on the ground but now in the air. What's next, a speedboat?

Oh great. Not only are they causing aggro on the ground but now in the air. What's next, a speedboat?

They send their cusotmers in helicopters to get them out of the reosrt & stop them complaining! Genius

• 2 months later...

Update. HELILUCK is the name of the company working out of the Absolute Sea Pearl on Patong hill. They have a U tube video that shows a takeoff, tour of Patong, Kamala, Laguna, and then landing. I can even see my villa.

Website is OK, but doesn't show prices. Not sure who did the English translation, but it needs work. Also, no mention of TAT license (or any other government licenses that may be required). Not sure if these are required for a website.

They seem to be doing OK. Afternoon flights overhead start around 3PM, but sometimes noon. On average, they fly over about every 15 - 20 minutes. Website says that Patong tour is 10 minutes long, so this makes sense. Estimate 8 - 12 flights / day. Happy to say that I haven't heard it when weather has been sketchy.

The helipad that you see on landing looks a bit small. I'm no expert, but having those trees that close would make me worry. Especially with the winds that blow through that cutout through the Nakkerd Hills. I live on the hill in N. Patong and it is usually breezy. I surely would not like to live in those condos directly under the flightpath. It's loud enough from my place.

Finally, I couldn't sign off without commenting on the name. I want no luck to be associated with any helicopter that I fly in!

Maybe it's gotten to the point where it is cheaper to hire a helicopter than a tuk-tuk.

And helicopter pilots wouldn't be running the risk of being pulled out and beaten by the tuk-tuk drivers.

• Like 1

They are starting to annoy me here in Kamala. And I'm a pilot and even worked at a Helicopter flight school so I'm fairly sypathetic to aircraft noise. But they flying over ther the house too often and too low for my taste. Bring on the rain it's getting hot out there. It sure was nice and cool Sunday....quiet too except for a bit of thunder.

They are starting to annoy me here in Kamala. And I'm a pilot and even worked at a Helicopter flight school so I'm fairly sypathetic to aircraft noise. But they flying over ther the house too often and too low for my taste. Bring on the rain it's getting hot out there. It sure was nice and cool Sunday....quiet too except for a bit of thunder.

We did have a lot over in Patongski today also