Shop To Modify Bike Into A 3Wheeler Tuk Tuk Alike

lemoncake

Not sure if its the right place to post, so may be mods can move it where it fits better.

I am trying to find a shop which does the modifications to bikes, turning it into a 3 wheeler.

Basically, now i have a bike with a side car which i use for taking my dogs out, but it is getting old and needs updating.

While it is great for the purpose, having soi dogs run along every day makes it difficult not to mention drives my dogs crazy.

So what i want to do, is convert a new bike into a 3 wheeler and put the sidecar on the back, so its sort of like a tuk tuk.

I know someone does it in Pattaya, because i have seen a couple on the road already, but never had a chance to ask them.

I am also aware i can just buy a tuk tuk, however those cost a fortune and can not be registered.

So anyone know or seen the shop capable of doing it?

There is a shop on Soi Siam, that has a bunch of side cars in the front of the shop. If I remember correctly, it is on the left side of the road, near the market place, (old market). There were about 7 side cars outside today.

There is a shop on Soi Siam, that has a bunch of side cars in the front of the shop. If I remember correctly, it is on the left side of the road, near the market place, (old market). There were about 7 side cars outside today.

I know which one, but the can only do the side car on the side, i already have that. I actually want to modify the bike to put the side car at the back of the bike not the side.

This shop does not know how, and few others i had visited also do not know.

Wish i had a pic to explain better what i want to achieve :)

Just picture something like a pick up truck, only in a bike form.

So the 2 wheels will be in the back supporting the sidecar, while the side car is the back of the bike also

I am also aware i can just buy a tuk tuk, however those cost a fortune and can not be registered.

There is at least a possibility that a tuk tuk can be registered. There is NO possibility at all that your modification could be legally registered and, along with 99% of the sidecars here, it would be illegal. You'll get more detail from a search of the Bikers' Forum.

There is at least a possibility that a tuk tuk can be registered. There is NO possibility at all that your modification could be legally registered and, along with 99% of the sidecars here, it would be illegal. You'll get more detail from a search of the Bikers' Forum.

Actually its incorrect. Tuk tuk can not be registered at all.

The modified bike and bikes with side car do not need a registration, ie you make the modifications after you have the bike, and it is all thats needed.

I have had a side car for around 3 years now and never been stopped by police or had any problems re-registering.

Why not use a car ? Farangs on cheap charlie modified bikes don't impress hi-so thais a lot and iirc one of your previous post was bashing the cheap charlies :P

themotorbike shop doing custom bikes on soi buhakao (mai thai or something like that) would be a place I would go ask, I think they built some wheelchair type sidecars or might now a place to get it done

Edited by yoslim

Ok, managed to find a pic or something similar to what i want to do. Naturally not as big and open "box" but the same setup

attachicon.gifDSC01549.jpg

This is what I think you need. The picture was taken in Siem Reap, Cambodia, which is full of these modified bikes, where they are used as taxis. I am amazed that they have not come to Pattaya -- they are much more comfortable than tuk tuks and look cool. The cart on the back is securely anchored to the bike (with a ball and cup mechanism) which keeps the bike upright all the time. I am sure that, with pictures, someone in Pattaya (maybe the guy on SSCC) could make one.

post-44514-0-29715400-1362447763_thumb.j

Rather than a side car, how about a trailer? Would that suit your needs and keep it (kind of) legal?

Just need a hitch added to the frame and a suitable trailer added (don't forget lights and indicators). If you want to be really upmarket you can put brakes on the trailer operated by the brake light circuit. All the technology is used in caravans.

Rather than a side car, how about a trailer? Would that suit your needs and keep it (kind of) legal?

Just need a hitch added to the frame and a suitable trailer added (don't forget lights and indicators). If you want to be really upmarket you can put brakes on the trailer operated by the brake light circuit. All the technology is used in caravans.

Could not find the right words, but i think you nailed, the trailer is exactly what i want, now the question is which shop does it?

Why not use a car ? Farangs on cheap charlie modified bikes don't impress hi-so thais a lot and iirc one of your previous post was bashing the cheap charlies tongue.png

themotorbike shop doing custom bikes on soi buhakao (mai thai or something like that) would be a place I would go ask, I think they built some wheelchair type sidecars or might now a place to get it done

I know Rudy the owner of Maithai very well and he does not do it.

I do have a car but chose to use cheap charlie modified bike to take my dogs out, hope it meets your approvalthumbsup.gif

The modified bike and bikes with side car do not need a registration, ie you make the modifications after you have the bike, and it is all thats needed.

I have had a side car for around 3 years now and never been stopped by police or had any problems re-registering.

I can't be bothered to argue about it here as this topic has been discussed at length many times on the Motorbike Forum.

Tuk tuks CAN be registered, at least in theory, although it is extremely difficult due to the need for an engineer's report.

Sidecars CANNOT be registered unless they are registered when registration is first made, and this only applies to a very few approved makes, such as the Tiger Retro. It is possible, in theory, for a sidecar modification to be registered later subject to an engineer's report but there are no known/reported cases of this being done - if you want to check, ask any motorbike dealer or any of the many shops modifying bikes and they will all tell you the same thing.

There are obviously a vast number of bikes with sidecars driving around Pattaya, but 99% (all except those detailed above) are technically illegal and would fail the mandatory pre-tax inspection. ANY modifications made to a bike after its registered,from just changing a header to adding a sidecar, adding an extra wheel, etc, are ALL illegal - you may get away with it (many do) but that doesn't mean that its legal or that your bike cannot be confiscated and impounded at any time (many are!).

I can't be bothered to argue about it here as this topic has been discussed at length many times on the Motorbike Forum.

Tuk tuks CAN be registered, at least in theory, although it is extremely difficult due to the need for an engineer's report.

Sidecars CANNOT be registered unless they are registered when registration is first made, and this only applies to a very few approved makes, such as the Tiger Retro. It is possible, in theory, for a sidecar modification to be registered later subject to an engineer's report but there are no known/reported cases of this being done - if you want to check, ask any motorbike dealer or any of the many shops modifying bikes and they will all tell you the same thing.

There are obviously a vast number of bikes with sidecars driving around Pattaya, but 99% (all except those detailed above) are technically illegal and would fail the mandatory pre-tax inspection. ANY modifications made to a bike after its registered,from just changing a header to adding a sidecar, adding an extra wheel, etc, are ALL illegal - you may get away with it (many do) but that doesn't mean that its legal or that your bike cannot be confiscated and impounded at any time (many are!).

IF you can not be bothered to argue with me, why are you posting at all?blink.png

Who cares what can be done in theory?

In theory i can fly,

I have a bike with a side car for 3 years as i have already stated 3 times, and never had an issue to re-register it or being stopped by the police.

So..... if my question was do you know where or how i can buy and register tuk tuk, then your response might be useful, HOWEVER i have stated already that tuk tuk can not be registered in reality, nor am i willing to jump through the hoops for a few months to get it registered.

Again as i stated, i am looking for a shop that can modify the bike to what i need,which clearly indicates i KNOW what i want.

I did not ask for your opinion what is legal or what is not, nor did i ask how i can register or de-register.

Need one of these a Sam Lor,which can be purchased new up here in Phetchabun.

See below picture.

Sorry pictures won't upload at present.

Any chance of a link to a company or shop?

From google search of SamLor, i think it could be perfect if modified to my sizes

This is the sort of thing available up here,but I've a feeling they aren't that cheap to buy new,but many older models modified from old motorbikes which serve as local taxis.

http://2396.th.all.biz/skylab-sme-pick-up-g9660

I already looked into that, its 59 000 baht, but can not be registered.

The only option, is to take my bike up there and get this company to modify it, but becomes too much of a trouble.

I was hoping to find a shop that can do it in Pattaya

Thanks anyway :)

This is the sort of thing available up here,but I've a feeling they aren't that cheap to buy new,but many older models modified from old motorbikes which serve as local taxis.http://2396.th.all.biz/skylab-sme-pick-up-g9660

The only option, is to take my bike up there and get this company to modify it, but becomes too much of a trouble.

Thanks anyway :)

Sam lors,can't be registered,tuk tuks,as in BKK taxi style ones can.salings,added on motor bike side cars are illegal.but the boys in brown don't give a shit.

There's a bike repair shop on the left side of Sukhumvit road just after soi kao noi,the guy there says he can convert anything you want..

This is the sort of thing available up here,but I've a feeling they aren't that cheap to buy new,but many older models modified from old motorbikes which serve as local taxis.http://2396.th.all.biz/skylab-sme-pick-up-g9660

Thanks anyway smile.png

Sam lors,can't be registered,tuk tuks,as in BKK taxi style ones can.salings,added on motor bike side cars are illegal.but the boys in brown don't give a shit.

There's a bike repair shop on the left side of Sukhumvit road just after soi kao noi,the guy there says he can convert anything you want..

Any chance of a name or may be a better directions :) ?

left side coming from where? if coming from Pattaya Klang, how far past the soi? anything to identify the shop?

Cheers

IF you can not be bothered to argue with me, why are you posting at all?

So that anyone naive enough to believe what you have said about what is and is not legal here is correctly informed.

I guess you still do not grasp the concept of what trolling meansrolleyes.gif

Start your own thread and inform people whatever you like, stop trolling in minebah.gif

PS. speaking of being "correctly informed", do not modify my posts, against forum rulesrolleyes.gif

Edited by lemoncake

Agreed, puuchai. Euan would probably get one of Dew's guys to make it and I think either of the two in Huay Yai would probably do a better job, cheaper, but he could probaby get one botched together.

I know which one, but the can only do the side car on the side, i already have that. I actually want to modify the bike to put the side car at the back of the bike not the side.

This shop does not know how, and few others i had visited also do not know.

Wish i had a pic to explain better what i want to achieve smile.png

Just picture something like a pick up truck, only in a bike form.

So the 2 wheels will be in the back supporting the sidecar, while the side car is the back of the bike also

There is a lady who lives in Arunothai 9 who has one. Carries people, food and other items about. If you do not find a place and you are down that way maybe you could ask. She used to be at home quite often.