Frenchman In Coma After Pattaya Beach Road Crash

Rimmer

Frenchman in Coma after Pattaya Beach road crash

crash-41.jpg
PATTAYA:--A French National is currently in a Coma after a road crash involving his rented motorbike, a Baht Bus and a Coach.

The crash occurred in the early hours of Monday in front of Soi 11 on Pattaya Beach Road and resulted in serious head and suspected spinal injuries to Mr. Damien Gagnieu aged 32 from Brin in Eastern France.

Onlookers did mention that Police were first on-scene and failed to offer Mr. Gagnieu any form of first aid and left him lying face-down in the road until rescue services arrived.

Independent witnesses described to Police how the motorbike appeared to be travelling at speed in the left land and approached a slow moving coach.

Full story:--http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/77484/frenchman-coma-pattaya-beach-road-crash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-03-04

Police did the right thing, they are not medics had they moved him ( for whatever reason) they could have paralysed him. I wonder why the reporter wanted to make it an issue ! Yes baht busses are an added danger but one has to use ones brains and avoid them because they never look before stopping or moving out. I always approach with caution.

• Like 2

One of the first things my friends taught me when I started driving a motorbike in Thailand was to watch out for those trucks! They taught me to never pass them on the left, because they will swerve over to the side of the road without looking or thinking all the time - and they certainly do.

I have often wondered how many accidents are caused by baht buses.

Here you have hundreds of vehicles on the road constantly slowing quickly

and swooping over to pick up a fare. Thus pretty easy to run into the

back of them.

Quite right. Plus trucks with extentions like this,

crash-6-270x200.jpg

will cause more severe damage and injury, no matter whether they are responsible for an accident or not.

Dont blame the slow-moving bahtbus: blame the person behind who is too close and going too fast to stop in time.

How many more accidents/deaths before they ban rental motorbikes completely? They are a menace.

Exactly!

People on motorbikes should be travelling at a speed that will allow them to stop safely depending on road conditions.

huge numbers of people go far too fast to allow them to do this and many don't bother to wear helmets at night time.

I wonder if this guy was wearing a helmet?

back of them.

Never drive on the left side of any bus.

• Like 1

back of them.

I realise that Baht bus drivers don't know what indicators are for, but if you crash into the back of the vehicle in front of you, then you are driving too close behind.

• Like 1

One of the first things my friends taught me when I started driving a motorbike in Thailand was to watch out for those trucks! They taught me to never pass them on the left, because they will swerve over to the side of the road without looking or thinking all the time - and they certainly do.

you should never pass any vehicle on the left side its called undertaking in the uk because you will more than likely end up at a undertakers

i have driven my car down beach road with my left indicator on looking for a parking slot and had motorcycles pass on the inside, lack of training thats what its all about, nearly hit one one day and he blamed me for not seeing him falang tourist!!

How many more accidents/deaths before they ban rental motorbikes completely? They are a menace.

Ban rental motorbikes - Where? in Pattaya? In Chon Buri? in Thailand? in Asia? in the whole world?

Why? Because some accidents happen? Because the use road space and drive everywhere threw? Because you do not like them?

Ban at least 50 % of the Baht Taxis cruising around and parking in the Center of Pattaya.

Will be a lot of space available fast. tongue.png

Now,

I know already, 2 things you do not like, Motorbikes, at least rented ones and "Celebrities", as i read in other thread.

Some more what you do not like? I fear, the "list" is long! blink.png

• Like 1

Ban rental motorbikes - Where? in Pattaya? In Chon Buri? in Thailand? in Asia? in the whole world?

Everywhere would be nice for those who die or are injured riding them, and for more sedate and sensible road users. Failing that where I happen to be will do.

Why? Because some accidents happen? Because the use road space and drive everywhere threw? Because you do not like them?

All very good reasons. There are others.

I know already, 2 things you do not like, Motorbikes, at least rented ones and "Celebrities", as i read in other thread. Some more what you do not like? I fear, the "list" is long!

You are right. I dont like lists for a start.

I am surprised the police didn't move him, it shows that perhaps they have had some training and learned that moving a spinal injury victim is a bad idea. Seems the reporter didn't know this tho.

"Onlookers did mention that Police were first on-scene and failed to offer Mr. Gagnieu any form of first aid and left him lying face-down in the road until rescue services arrived."

Does no first aid offered also mean no checking for pulse, breathing and loss of blood? These are more urgent life-saving priorities than that of a possible spinal injury.

Edited by Radar501
  • Like 1

Everywhere would be nice for those who die or are injured riding them, and for more sedate and sensible road users. Failing that where I happen to be will do.

Would be nice? For you and "your pleasure!".

Dream on . g045.gif

>Why? Because some accidents happen? Because the use road space and drive everywhere threw? Because you do not like them?

All very good reasons. There are others.

I know already, 2 things you do not like, Motorbikes, at least rented ones and "Celebrities", as i read in other thread. Some more what you do not like? I fear, the "list" is long!

You are right. I dont like lists for a start.

I wouldn't worry about ALFREDO too much, he likes to stir the pot everywhere...coffee1.gif

Dont blame the slow-moving bahtbus: blame the person behind who is too close and going too fast to stop in time.

Ban the rental-companies, ban the jet-skies rentals, ban the baht-buses, ban the boy bars, ban the private hospitals, ban the russian owned gogo-bars...........what will be left to ban.

Just ban the people who don't know how to use what's on offer!!

I wouldn't worry about ALFREDO too much, he likes to stir the pot everywhere...coffee1.gif

Yeah,

not everybody can stir, some can only leave their, "special" scent mark.

stinker.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

I wouldn't worry about ALFREDO too much, he likes to stir the pot everywhere...

It has been quite some time since I last worried about anyone on the internet.

He sent me a PM, thanking me for my comment. I told him there was a rock that needed him as a pillow.... Glad you are not worried!

My reading the paper

"Independent witnesses described to Police how the motorbike appeared to be travelling at speed in the left land [sic] and approached a slow moving coach. The bike driver decided to move into the right lane to overtake the coach but due to its size, the right land lane was partially obscured and the bike driver was seen to drive into the back of a slow moving Baht Bus travelling in the right hand lane."

I would conclude that the Frenchman blew it - he wasn't paying attention, made a rash maneuver that put him on collision course into the back of the bus he didn't see, didn't look for before making the lane change. Stupid! Not to mention that he was doing this in the 'early hours' of Monday - perhaps after a night of cocktails - where his thought processes and reaction times were perhaps not their sharpest.

So what the hell are you guys talking about - passing on the left? Most of the comments in this here thread are pretty idiotic.