Thai Pm Says She Sometimes Thinks Like Her Brother

Lite Beer

I was reading an article this week on an experiment where 2 rats, thousands of miles apart, had micro impants placed in their brains. One rat had learned how to operate a coloured button for food and managed to transfer that knowledge to the other over the network. Skype for rats was my initial thought.

Does that mean your brother or sister think like you.

Is that a question?

If so, then I would have to say that we all think the same way - Thaksin's and Yingluck's brains operate in the same manner as those of rats.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Barack or David had obtained Master degrees at a Thai university in Thailand utilizing the Thai language then I would be equally surprised if they needed a question put to them in Thai to be translated to English.

For someone that has obtained a Master degree at an American university utilizing the English language I'm surprised at the level of her English.

It is my understanding that it is not 'translation' as such since she is able to understand the words being used. Her helpers are simplifying what has been said in order for her to grasp it. Elocution lessons can only go so far y'know. The western world and to a large extent the Thai people see her as being somewhat dim and 'Sarah Palin' like.
  • Like 1

....this statement.and most nonsense she says is an insult to Thailand and all Thais....

(......while they issue and approve tens and hundreds of billions of baht for dubious projects...accountable to no one...)

So we now have confirmation that she thinks.

Thai PM says she 'sometimes' thinks like her brother

At the risk of being labeled a grammar Nazi I think some amendment needs to be made to this headline to make the message abundantly clear.

Thai PM says she sometimes thinks. Like her brother.

I would have preferred that the second sentence began with the word ‘Just’ but that word, used in an adjectival sense, is not in common use in LOS. No ‘just’ men hence little or no justice.

Maybe we are blessed that she doesn’t think all the time.

• Like 2

So obvious and more scarey for Thai people.

thinks like him during the day hours and she thinks like herself when she is asleep

If Barack or David had obtained Master degrees at a Thai university in Thailand utilizing the Thai language then I would be equally surprised if they needed a question put to them in Thai to be translated to English.

For someone that has obtained a Master degree at an American university utilizing the English language I'm surprised at the level of her English.

It is my understanding that it is not 'translation' as such since she is able to understand the words being used. Her helpers are simplifying what has been said in order for her to grasp it. Elocution lessons can only go so far y'know. The western world and to a large extent the Thai people see her as being somewhat dim and 'Sarah Palin' like.

You mean she can see Alaska from her door?

• Like 1

So obvious and more scarey for Thai people.

Yeah.... this story reminds me of the Wizard of Oz..... the little lad learnt some tricks..but ran out of controll till the Master came back. or.... is she also planning on doing the run when all fingers point at her.......China will give her a passport or perhaps Laos

Misunderstanding on a such a level of responsibility, needs no definition for excuse... Get on the job do it properly and in keeping with International standards of communication and good healthy logic.... Graduate? for paper or for pride!

Here is a link from the press conferense. In english, I think:giggle:

http://www.regeringen.se/sb/d/3209/a/210280

Thank you for the link.

Always revealing to hear her prattle on in the unscripted portion of a press conference doing Q & A. Too bad this time it was so brief, but, still it was interesting that hear Yingluck is seemingly unaware that her election was NOT the first time they won the majority of the seats in Parliament. blink.png

Also revealing was that the questions put to her in English had to be translated to her in Thai.

Why is it so strange that questions put to her in English had to be translated to her in Thai? Do you think that if questions put to Barack Obama, David Cameron etc in Thai would not be translated into English? I have come to the conclusion that the Thai news agencies probably have an editorial meeting every day when they discuss which headline they can come up with which will have the Thaivisa experts competing with each other to see who can make the biggest fool of themselves commenting on things they know nothing about and have no control over. Oh how they must laugh! I know i do!
I think we have a winner.

Some words lost in Translation in most Thai conversations.... I am sorry, I do not know, or I made a mistake!!!!

I am still to hear this in Thailand.....its always a big joke!!!!

Thank you for the link.

Always revealing to hear her prattle on in the unscripted portion of a press conference doing Q & A. Too bad this time it was so brief, but, still it was interesting that hear Yingluck is seemingly unaware that her election was NOT the first time they won the majority of the seats in Parliament. blink.png

Also revealing was that the questions put to her in English had to be translated to her in Thai.

Why is it so strange that questions put to her in English had to be translated to her in Thai? Do you think that if questions put to Barack Obama, David Cameron etc in Thai would not be translated into English? I have come to the conclusion that the Thai news agencies probably have an editorial meeting every day when they discuss which headline they can come up with which will have the Thaivisa experts competing with each other to see who can make the biggest fool of themselves commenting on things they know nothing about and have no control over. Oh how they must laugh! I know i do!

----------------

Using a "translator" to translate a reporter's question in English into your native language is a common procedure for heads of state to use.

That "need to translate" into and from your native language is a good way to get some breathing space before you have to answer the question so you can think about the answer before you have to comit yourself to that answer.

I once saw the head of the Saudi Air Force, who went to school in the U.K. and spoke perfect English, use a "translator: into Arabic for an interview with the BBC.

He didn't need the translator, it just gave him time before he had to decide what to say while they translator gave him time to think about the question, and what to say for his answer.during the unecessary "translation" process.

Just watched the press conference and the questions, I thought she handled it pretty well and the only Q she did not fully understand she stated she did not understand. Once one of her cabinet gave the Q to her in Thai, she answered correctly.

My opinion was that the whole interview was handled correctly and i saw no problems with her answers. Unlike some here that speak perfect Thai and even have trouble speaking their own language what ever that may be. Good job Yingluck.

Right! >clearing throat< Pounding on table> Jolly good job I must say (clearing my throat again) Right! Next please! "and now for something completely different" A humble python reply

• Like 1

Cambodia. Or izzit Laos??

No, actually it's Me and Ma.

No, actually it's Me and Ma.

I can go with that. biggrin.png

However, it again comes to mind - where's Thailand's Aung San Suu Kyi, the Nobel Peace Laureate? (I haven't yet read the article about the huge number of Nobel Peace Prize nominees this year, but I'd say somebody from TVF just has to be among the names coffee1.gif .)

Impressive turnout by the media for the press covering the press conference. Was that 2 reporters? Or was there a 3rd just out of camera shot? (Everyone behind the first row was staffers!)

Seriously... masters from a US university... and several years as PM... and her English is still only slightly better than that of a leprotic frog.

• Like 1

Well, as least she doesn't look like him. smile.png

I'm no expert but my female friends all say she has bad skin, also, her brother doesn't have a beard.

If he stays long enough in Dubai, he might be tempted to grow one.

• Like 1

Impressive turnout by the media for the press covering the press conference. Was that 2 reporters? Or was there a 3rd just out of camera shot? (Everyone behind the first row was staffers!)

Seriously... masters from a US university... and several years as PM... and her English is still only slightly better than that of a leprotic frog.

Still, the turnout was bigger than the conferences held by her brother during his Grand American Tour of 2012.

Thank you for the link.

For someone that has obtained a Master degree at an American university utilizing the English language I'm surprised at the level of her English. Is that so difficult for you to fathom? Is that so hard to comprehend the obvious disconnect between her resume and reality? Or are you just commenting on things you know nothing about her?

I do laugh at those that rush to her defense without an inkling of the context of what is posted here, so thanks for that.

I have met many Thai English major students and have always needed to retranslate their feeble attempts at the English language. The Thai PM is a classic example.

.cheesy.gif

Thank you for the link.

Actually the translator is wearing an earpiece which is linked to "you know who" getting instructions from "him" then telling the PM how to answer the question. Voila, as she says she sometimes thinks like her brother especially when he tells her what to say.