1 Pound + 44.99 Baht

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be curious to know just how many retired expats factored in a year or two of 'tough times' in their initial planning ? For some, I expect that the floods may well have swallowed a large chunk of that 'rainy day' money.

as all my assets are here i can manage for the next 20yrs if i live that long baht at,57 and 49+ but that means leaving my pensions in the uk.

not to worry £ at 43.66 cash and tt rate 44.12 fri.at close.

ok ok i wrote bath instead of baht whistling.gif

I'm glad you guys had a good laugh but at 37 years old and retired i'm the one laughing everyday

wai.gif

only 37 and do you plan to live in los long time?you will need plenty of baths and luck,so dont laugh out toooooooooooooooo loud.

I'm just grateful that I enjoy my work, since i'm probably going to have to work till I'm 70...

Here's hoping you won't live that long wink.png

its all down to the wf.and her 20yrs.of hard work in the uk.if not for her i would be still living in that s-it hole of a place called britain,so my frozen pension can help those needy,sick and lazy.

I'm glad you guys had a good laugh but at 37 years old and retired i'm the one laughing everyday

wai.gif

Just out of curiosity, Could tell us how you became this fortunate?

Retired at 37?? Must have been in the SAS!

Didn't know what that mean so I google it ....The Special Air Service or SAS is a regiment of the British Army ....like I said I'm a french canadian and I went to law shcool University of Montreal but i never took my bar exams

I never would have guessed, I thought you may be living In a bedroom, Riding around on a 125cc moped.

Away keep laughing

Actually I'm in a very nice 3 bedroom 2 story-house ( gate community ) and i'm riding a 2012 Honda CBR 250R

wai.gif

While I would love to have your millions, I also know what a phenomenal hill that represents. I just cant see anyone genuinely 'retiring' at that age - even Richard Branson would have gone crazy just sitting on his island counting his interest each day. Even 55 is going to be a challenge for me - horses for courses, I guess.

I'm far away from rich in cash flow but in asset yes .... I started working very young and I took advantage of the crash of USA house market in 2009-2010 and bought 4 Condo with my dad in Florida for a ridiculous price. You can imagine that at the present moment the value of those are quiet higher then what we paid for and we have nice retirement people renting them and nicely paying the mortgage for us .

only 37 and do you plan to live in los long time?you will need plenty of baths and luck,so dont laugh out toooooooooooooooo loud.

wai.gif

Since my wife is a doctor and own a clinic we are not planning of moving anywhere... I have a 3 years step-son, I love more then anything. As for $$$ , I have a been a online poker player for 7 years now

So the thai baht situation don't bother me at all , bcz the way I see it very simple I just can't do nothing about it and I'll go with the flow

wai.gif

Edited by LburtonL

Didn't know what that mean so I google it ....The Special Air Service or SAS is a regiment of the British Army ....like I said I'm a french canadian and I went to law shcool University of Montreal but i never took my bar exams

I never would have guessed, I thought you may be living In a bedroom, Riding around on a 125cc moped.

Away keep laughing

Actually I'm in a very nice 3 bedroom 2 story-house ( gate community ) and i'm riding a 2012 Honda CBR 250R

>ok ok i wrote bath instead of baht whistling.gif

wai.gif

While I would love to have your millions, I also know what a phenomenal hill that represents. I just cant see anyone genuinely 'retiring' at that age - even Richard Branson would have gone crazy just sitting on his island counting his interest each day. Even 55 is going to be a challenge for me - horses for courses, I guess.

I'm far away from rich in cash flow but in asset yes .... I started working very young and I took advantage of the crash of USA house market in 2009-2010 and bought 4 Condo with my dad in Florida for a ridiculous price. You can imagine that at the present moment the value of those are quiet higher then what we paid for and we have nice retirement people renting them and nicely paying the mortgage for us .

wai.gif

Since my wife is a doctor and owned a clinic we are not planning of moving anywhere... I have a 3 years step-son, I love more then anything. As for $$$ , I have a been a online poker player for 7 years now

So the thai baht situation don't bother me at all , bcz the way I see it very simple I just can't do nothing about it and I go with the flow

wai.gif

dont gamble on everything youve posted.good luck to you,i used to gamble dogs and horses,but the best that i gambled on was when i married my wf.

The pound will continue to drop and anybody with a vested interest in the UK economy needs this to happen for any long-term investment. Right now the UK is not a short-term investment option.

Historically the £ has always bounced back, before O&G, between wars and before that. Brand UK is still desirable to many people in the world. Think about the tourist industry this summer. Last year the world watched the UK but, as with every country hosting a major event, all the costs were up. This year, lower costs, more £ for your $ or THB or EUR. The tourist industry will boom this year putting a LOT of money back in the pockets of the British people.

Personally I really don't expect to see a rise in the GBP for 2-4 years (for my selfish basis I would like that to be 4 years), however I do see innovation and new growth. Anybody not seeing this in the UK needs to look at a broader version of UK history rather than just 40 years of natural resource wealth. The GBP will drop further, then it will rise, then it will drop, then it will rise, ad infinitum.

Every time I read somebody posting about the GBP dropping and stating it will never come back I hear a foreign voice with a touch of hatred or jealousy. Drop it, do yourself a favour, stop looking at the GBP rate if it doesn't effect you and move on. Being spiteful and nasty will only make you ill and sad.

Whatever you do don't make silly comments about this being the end of GBP, you will end up eating your words. Show me a currency from a world power than HASN'T dropped VERY low in the past 50 years and HASN'T risen again.

I found this information that summarises the relationship between GBP and THB - http://www.fairfx.com/thai-baht

Historical British Pound Sterling to Thai Baht Conversion Rates

The Thai baht experienced a significant decrease in its
conversion between 1949 and 1950, with the rate going from 80.477 to
62.549 GBP to THB in the space of one year.
This marked a continuing decline in conversion rates over the next
15+ years, although none were near so dramatic. In 1968, however,
another significant drop occurred, this time with the conversion rate
falling from 57.442 to 49.920 GBP in one year.
The conversion rate again stabilized and experienced only minor
declines over the six years until this process repeated itself again
with yet another decline by almost 10 by 1976, during which year the
rate dropped to 36.675 GBP to THB before stabilizing again around 1986
and experiencing insignificant shifts over the course of the next seven
years.
This change-and-stabilization scenario played out once more before
the end of the Twentieth century, although this time it was marked by
an increase rather than a decrease, with the rate rising to 60.690 GBP
to THB in 2000.

Looks like the highs above 50 are always marked by political involvement (direct or indirect) or extraordinary GBP performance. Being that an acceptable GBP:USD range is between 1.6 & 1.7 you can assess that the GBP is weak, but not as weak as it has got before.

GBP:USD 1953-present

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=USD&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1953&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=08&MM2=03&YYYY2=2013&btnOK=Go!

GBP:THB 1960-present

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1953&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=08&MM2=03&YYYY2=2013&btnOK=Go!

In summary, we are sitting around THB5 below the median average. Remove the heavy spikes (political issues, government intervention) and the average is THB45-50. Our short term memory really is affecting the truth. Another poster (sorry not to refer directly) has hit the nail on the head saying that the last time we saw this level the 1THB bought SO much more. Inflation is the big kicker now, more than the exchange rate.

• Like 1

OK,clever boys. So which country do I retire to now?

Panama is recruiting Expats, offers of easy residency, ability to start a business, ability to work, ability to own property... Low cost of living and pretty women ...

OK,clever boys. So which country do I retire to now?

Panama is recruiting Expats, offers of easy residency, ability to start a business, ability to work, ability to own property... Low cost of living and pretty women ...

Some very rosy images there. Let's see what else Panama might have for retirees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Panama

A lot of the stuff listed below can happen to you in Thailand, but I'm not aware of 'express kidnappings' being a concern when you visit and ATM in Pattaya - YMMV.

Crime in Panama is moderate but becoming more frequent, particularly because of the narcotics-trafficking related violence and activities of youth gangs. Police checkpoints have become common place on weekends on roads in between cities. Based upon reported incidents by local police, the high-crime areas around Panama City are San Miguelito, Rio Abajo, El Chorrillo, Ancón, Curundu, Veracruz Beach, Panama Viejo, and the Madden Dam overlook.

The crimes plague metropolitan areas and include rapes, armed robberies, muggings, purse-snatchings, "express kidnappings" from ATM banking facilities, in which the victim is briefly kidnapped and robbed after withdrawing cash from an ATM, and petty theft. There have been several targeted kidnappings in Panama with the complicity of corrupt law enforcement.

draftvader, I'm not going to quote your extensive post, but I agree with you 100%. The 'chooks with their heads cut off' mentality in this and the earlier thread (where I attempted to make a similar point to your own) makes me wonder where the 'stiff upper lip' Brit has settled - India, perhaps ? I'm not seeing the same level of hysteria on the Indo and Malaysian expat forums I periodically skim - certainly none of the 'abandon ship !' calls that have accompanied each of these threads. Churchill would be rolling in his grave. ;)

When I were a spoolboy, we got 2 shillings pocket money for a week, a penny bought 4 wine gums and I could go to the filums for 9p.

But try and tell them that nowadays- they just won't believe you.

It was actually 9d .... UK money was pounds shillings and pence, initials L.s.d. from the latin "librae, solidi, denarii"

I stand corrected. We gave up Lsd in 1967, if I remember correctly, so excuse me if my memory fails me on that one.

The pound will continue to drop and anybody with a vested interest in the UK economy needs this to happen for any long-term investment. Right now the UK is not a short-term investment option.

Historically the £ has always bounced back, before O&G, between wars and before that. Brand UK is still desirable to many people in the world. Think about the tourist industry this summer. Last year the world watched the UK but, as with every country hosting a major event, all the costs were up. This year, lower costs, more £ for your $ or THB or EUR. The tourist industry will boom this year putting a LOT of money back in the pockets of the British people.

Personally I really don't expect to see a rise in the GBP for 2-4 years (for my selfish basis I would like that to be 4 years), however I do see innovation and new growth. Anybody not seeing this in the UK needs to look at a broader version of UK history rather than just 40 years of natural resource wealth. The GBP will drop further, then it will rise, then it will drop, then it will rise, ad infinitum.

Every time I read somebody posting about the GBP dropping and stating it will never come back I hear a foreign voice with a touch of hatred or jealousy. Drop it, do yourself a favour, stop looking at the GBP rate if it doesn't effect you and move on. Being spiteful and nasty will only make you ill and sad.

Whatever you do don't make silly comments about this being the end of GBP, you will end up eating your words. Show me a currency from a world power than HASN'T dropped VERY low in the past 50 years and HASN'T risen again.

I found this information that summarises the relationship between GBP and THB - http://www.fairfx.com/thai-baht

Historical British Pound Sterling to Thai Baht Conversion Rates

The Thai baht experienced a significant decrease in its

conversion between 1949 and 1950, with the rate going from 80.477 to

62.549 GBP to THB in the space of one year.

This marked a continuing decline in conversion rates over the next

15+ years, although none were near so dramatic. In 1968, however,

another significant drop occurred, this time with the conversion rate

falling from 57.442 to 49.920 GBP in one year.

The conversion rate again stabilized and experienced only minor

declines over the six years until this process repeated itself again

with yet another decline by almost 10 by 1976, during which year the

rate dropped to 36.675 GBP to THB before stabilizing again around 1986

and experiencing insignificant shifts over the course of the next seven

years.

This change-and-stabilization scenario played out once more before

the end of the Twentieth century, although this time it was marked by

an increase rather than a decrease, with the rate rising to 60.690 GBP

to THB in 2000.

Looks like the highs above 50 are always marked by political involvement (direct or indirect) or extraordinary GBP performance. Being that an acceptable GBP:USD range is between 1.6 & 1.7 you can assess that the GBP is weak, but not as weak as it has got before.

GBP:USD 1953-present

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=USD&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1953&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=08&MM2=03&YYYY2=2013&btnOK=Go!

GBP:THB 1960-present

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1953&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=08&MM2=03&YYYY2=2013&btnOK=Go!

In summary, we are sitting around THB5 below the median average. Remove the heavy spikes (political issues, government intervention) and the average is THB45-50. Our short term memory really is affecting the truth. Another poster (sorry not to refer directly) has hit the nail on the head saying that the last time we saw this level the 1THB bought SO much more. Inflation is the big kicker now, more than the exchange rate.

If you are correct, and I hope not, by the time the pound rises again, I'll probably be dead, or so decrepit I wish I were.

This zero interest is just a con for the banks to keep all the interest they make, and is terrible for anyone living off savings.

Once again the government, the BOE and the banks in general get to screw the public, and will be taking their ill gotten bonuses laughing at the suckers that use the banks in the mistaken belief that if they save, they will be taking care of their future.

It was 45 to the quid when I first came to LOS, but worth twice as much. Certainly got a lot more bangs for the buck back then.

With the bangs being the keyword ?biggrin.png

Absolutely- boom boom.

Seriously, after 97 was a great time in LOS for anyone with quids.

Bank Country Updated by bank Update

no. From To Rate Quantity

* rate Inverse

of rate Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-09 09:36 GBP50 THB 44.6 44.6 0.022422 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-09 09:36 GBP20-5 THB 44.5 44.5 0.022472 Chart Krung Thai Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 10:57 GBP THB 43.95 43.95 0.022753 Chart Bank of Ayudhya Thailand 2013-03-08 09:50 7 GBP THB 43.93 43.93 0.022763 Chart UOB Thailand 2013-03-07 17:00 2 GBP THB 43.93 43.93 0.022763 Chart Bangkok Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 01:30 1 GBP THB 43.92 43.92 0.022769 Chart Thanachart Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 09:57 4 GBP THB 43.85 43.85 0.022805 Chart Kasikorn Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 04:59 2 GBP THB 43.83785 43.838 0.022811 Chart Government Savings Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 08:55 2 GBP THB 43.79 43.79 0.022836 Chart Siam Commercial Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 05:30 GBP THB 43.7275 43.728 0.022869 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-09 09:36 GBPS THB 43 43 0.023256 Chart TMB Thailand 2013-03-08 09:14 5 GBP THB 42.69 42.69 0.023425 Chart

Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 4.47%

Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 GBP = 43.8104458 THB

Edited by Will1

It was 45 to the quid when I first came to LOS, but worth twice as much. Certainly got a lot more bangs for the buck back then.

With the bangs being the keyword ?biggrin.png

Absolutely- boom boom.

Seriously, after 97 was a great time in LOS for anyone with quids.

Bank Country Updated by bank Update

no. From To Rate Quantity

* rate

Inverse

of rate

Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-09 09:36 GBP50 THB 44.6 44.6 0.022422 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-09 09:36 GBP20-5 THB 44.5 44.5 0.022472 Chart Krung Thai Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 10:57 GBP THB 43.95 43.95 0.022753 Chart Bank of Ayudhya Thailand 2013-03-08 09:50 7 GBP THB 43.93 43.93 0.022763 Chart UOB Thailand 2013-03-07 17:00 2 GBP THB 43.93 43.93 0.022763 Chart Bangkok Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 01:30 1 GBP THB 43.92 43.92 0.022769 Chart Thanachart Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 09:57 4 GBP THB 43.85 43.85 0.022805 Chart Kasikorn Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 04:59 2 GBP THB 43.83785 43.838 0.022811 Chart Government Savings Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 08:55 2 GBP THB 43.79 43.79 0.022836 Chart Siam Commercial Bank Thailand 2013-03-08 05:30 GBP THB 43.7275 43.728 0.022869 Chart Super Rich (Ratchadamri) Thailand 2013-03-09 09:36 GBPS THB 43 43 0.023256 Chart TMB Thailand 2013-03-08 09:14 5 GBP THB 42.69 42.69 0.023425 Chart

Percentage difference between minimum and maximum exchange rates above = 4.47%

Average bank exchange rate from data above: 1 GBP = 43.8104458

Just to add I went to SuperRich yesterday to change up to GBP to send cash back to the UK with a family member (don't think this is the best time, that'll be this summer, but have to pay back the CC for a flight before we incur interest). I went to the 2nd one opposite CentralWorld on Ratchaprasong and they had no GBP. Luckily the 1st one did. Don't know whether there is a lot of buying going on right now or whether they are just awaiting stock.

Interestingly they didn't know the other outlet (2 doors down) did have GBP.

i fear when they start trading on mon.the £ will be lower,down against the euro and dollar since close of play[thai.] so we might see 43-cash,44-tt.

l.s.d ended 1970

I suspect this too, but I have no choice. Saturday was the latest I could use SuperRich and the girls (my wife, daugther and mother) were shopping in CentralWorld so the difference in exchange for a desperate run on Monday morning is that the transport budget was already allocated. No point making 2 trips to get about £1 difference (after paying transport twice).

We are, however, saving our THB for a month long trip to the UK in July. Hoping we will see 40 between now and then.

Away keep laughing

>ok ok i wrote bath instead of baht whistling.gif

wai.gif

wai.gif

Since my wife is a doctor and own a clinic we are not planning of moving anywhere... I have a 3 years step-son, I love more then anything. As for $$$ , I have a been a online poker player for 7 years now

So the thai baht situation don't bother me at all , bcz the way I see it very simple I just can't do nothing about it and I'll go with the flow

wai.gif

looks like you made some good choices in life. remember there is a lot of jealousy here on this forum and people just don't like to see someone young with some cash living the easy life.

Well, THB aside, 150 to US1 was a pretty standard rate of exchange years back so it could easily slide a few more baht by years end imo.

Thailand will devalue, it has to or it won't be able to export anything,double so to ASEAN.

It's trying to hold on until China makes a move.

Pretty precarious times right now for all fiat currencies.

China could come crashing down as could Spain, Italy and the rest of Europe. Euro may be finished.

Edited by bangkokburning

I'd better phone the POTUS - that revelation re the Euro will come as a shock, but he needs to hear it ;)

'Mr President, I know its 3am in Washington and you have a meeting with the Joint Chiefs at 6, but I've just come across something on the internet that I really think you need to hear'

<click>

Well, THB aside, 150 to US1 was a pretty standard rate of exchange years back so it could easily slide a few more baht by years end imo.

Thailand will devalue, it has to or it won't be able to export anything,double so to ASEAN.

It's trying to hold on until China makes a move.

Pretty precarious times right now for all fiat currencies.

China could come crashing down as could Spain, Italy and the rest of Europe. Euro may be finished.

There's no point speculating, though Naam may claim otherwise

looks like you made some good choices in life. remember there is a lot of jealousy here on this forum and people just don't like to see someone young with some cash living the easy life.

Do you believe everything you hear or read,

I don't. Good luck to those who have come out on top. No jealousy on my behalf.

Assuming the THB Vs. US$ stay constant, then the Pound will be 42.6 baht by August.<br /><br />http://www.forecasts.org/pound.htm

It's been asked before, but how low can it go till expats living on imported money can no longer afford to stay? I wonder if anyone in the government has calculated the social cost if thousands of husbands have to leave their wives and children behind in LOS? Perhaps it's time to make it easier to stay, by reducing visa costs etc. They increased the costs when the ex rate was higher, so perhaps it's time to face reality and change them back.

i fear when they start trading on mon.the £ will be lower,down against the euro and dollar since close of play[thai.] so we might see 43-cash,44-tt.

l.s.d ended 1970

Decimal Day 15 February 1971