1 Pound + 44.99 Baht

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due too very low interest rates ..the Bank of England has very few option left to control the economy...So they are now actively encouraging the pounds value to drop on the world market.which results in export goods being cheaper and more competitive ...Another option the Bank of England is looking into which is even more frightening is 'Negative interest rates" .

Talk about kicking a man went he's down or flogging a dead horse beatdeadhorse.gif

So in effect you would pay the bank to keep your money in a saving account.

Stranger things have happend, lets see.

Personally, I think we will see the Thai baht reach around THB35 : £1 and at that point, we will either see the pound strengthen and the Thai economy weaken.

As far as the UK economy is going, theres not that much bad news around at the moment.

Europe is getting its house in some sort of new order.

America has just seen the Dow Jones reach record levels.

Reposessions are the lowest since 2008

Interest rates are at historic lows

Inflation is around 2.5% and falling

Perhaps in 3 years time, we will be back to an economic state of around 2002 in the UK.

Negative interest rates would be bad news for savers,

44.66 Baht coming soon

...but good news,would say excellent news for shareholders.Once the UK goes truly right wing and gets the welfare bill down it will be a bit depressing

Negative interest rates would be bad news for savers,

44.66 Baht coming soon

...but good news,would say excellent news for shareholders.Once the UK goes truly right wing and gets the welfare bill down it will be a bit depressing

Its depressing already my friend.

Your not forgetting who the shareholders of the banks are now are you. Johnny Public.

In fact you could the UK Government have found a way for the public to rip off the public, now thats just sick.

Edited by homeownership

Personally, I think we will see the Thai baht reach around THB35 : £1 and at that point, we will either see the pound strengthen and the Thai economy weaken.

As far as the UK economy is going, theres not that much bad news around at the moment.

Europe is getting its house in some sort of new order.

America has just seen the Dow Jones reach record levels.

Reposessions are the lowest since 2008

Interest rates are at historic lows

Inflation is around 2.5% and falling

Perhaps in 3 years time, we will be back to an economic state of around 2002 in the UK.

Well UK just lost its triple A credit rating, so that doesnt bode well. Also there will be a new round of QE /money printing which will put further pressure on the pound in the short/medium term.

make me laugh when i see you guy's crying at 45 bath cheesy.gif

Canadian $$$ always bee around 30 bath and we never said anything about it bcz it's life coffee1.gif

If you can't make a living in Thailand with that, go back to work or you can probably enjoy your retirement somewhere in Africa thumbsup.gif

Ps: if some of you are curious about my avatar it's a add of Aston Martin pre owned car....

" You know you're not the first, but do you really care ? "

wai.gif

Edited by LburtonL

Wait until the rice scam goes belly up and watch the Baht weaken.

Another dreamer with a wishful (nonsense) comment. Been seeing them in untold numbers of threads, on this site, since the 2008 US and Europe economy and bank bailouts.

Another dreamer with a wishful (nonsense) comment. Been seeing them in untold numbers of threads, on this site, since the 2008 US and Europe economy and bank bailouts.

Can someone point me to a single post from the last fortnight where a Brit has actually booked plane tickets and / or started wrapping up their life in Thailand ? Plenty of talk of a mythical queue at Swampy, but I havent seen any evidence of a single BM who is actually packing his bags and getting out.

• Like 2

Can someone point me to a single post from the last fortnight where a Brit has actually booked plane tickets and / or started wrapping up their life in Thailand ? Plenty of talk of a mythical queue at Swampy, but I havent seen any evidence of a single BM who is actually packing his bags and getting out.

Probably cannot afford the ticket price with such a poor exchange rate!

I looked this morning and the GBP seems to be making a small recovery so lets hope it continues.

• Like 1

Don't underestimate the size of the scam. 100-115 Billion Baht already lost and this is only if you take the value of what was paid for the rice. Expect at least a 30% loss on sale and it's another 100 Billion up in flames. That's a lot of money for Thailand to lose.

There all jumping and in a q 2

Probably cannot afford the ticket price with such a poor exchange rate!

I looked this morning and the GBP seems to be making a small recovery so lets hope it continues.

If you go to the BA site and book a flight from BKK to Heathrow, they will give you the price in GBP. Unless someone can show me that BA have raised the price on that flight over the last two weeks, I dont see what the problem is for those looking fo return to the 'Good Old Blighty'.

Just ran the numbers on the BA site - 'best price' later this month - and you can fly from BKK to Heathrow for less than 700 GBP - any Brit who doesn't have that kind of scratch can't afford to live in Thailand anyway, IMO, unless they are overstaying their visa and living illegally. I'm betting that the plane fare would look miniscule compared to the cost of re-establishing oneself back in the UK. I don't know too many men over 50 who want to move back in with family, and I'm willing to bet that there is more than one Brit expat in Thailand who burnt some serious bridges when he left Ye Olde Country. Some may even be returning to paid accommodation at Her Majesty's Pleasure. ;)

I accept that people are hurting - I just don't accept unsubstantiated claims about Brits 'leaving in droves'.

• Like 1

Some are gonna hate me for this, but since I get paid in Thai baht, the spending power for my upcoming month long vacation home to blighty is becoming more and more economical for me by the day. So right now, the plummeting pound suits me just fine. Moreso since I booked my round trip ticket back in December. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pomthai
  • Like 1

Just ran the numbers on the BA site - 'best price' later this month - and you can fly from BKK to Heathrow for less than 700 GBP - any Brit who doesn't have that kind of scratch can't afford to live in Thailand anyway, IMO, unless they are overstaying their visa and living illegally. I'm betting that the plane fare would look miniscule compared to the cost of re-establishing oneself back in the UK. I don't know too many men over 50 who want to move back in with family, and I'm willing to bet that there is more than one Brit expat in Thailand who burnt some serious bridges when he left Ye Olde Country. Some may even be returning to paid accommodation at Her Majesty's Pleasure. wink.png

I accept that people are hurting - I just don't accept unsubstantiated claims about Brits 'leaving in droves'.

Well there are, believe it or not - Brits who aren't forum members. I know of several of my countrymen who chucked in the towel when £1 = 55 baht. Not because they couldn't afford the essentials of life here like rent, food and utilities but because they couldn't afford to large it in the bars and clubs with the ladies.

Now I think about it, I guess that kinda thing is an essential.

Read this on the Telegraph website. It's a couple of years old but it's still relevant

Some are gonna hate me for this, but since I get paid in Thai baht, the spending power for my upcoming month long vacation home to blighty is becoming more and more economical for me by the day. So right now, the plummeting pound suits me just fine. Moreso since I booked my round trip ticket back in December. rolleyes.gif

I don't hate you for it. Still got bills to pay back in London but the cost of servicing obligations from Thai income has dropped very nicely indeed