Awkward Problem With Dns Configuration

talisman01

I hope someone can help me get rid of a really annoying problem.

I am having great difficulty connecting to the internet on my laptop. There are two options where I work: one is to connect via wi-fi to a wall-mounted router. The other way is to connect to the same router using a cable. Now, when I try either option it fails to connect and when I diagnose the problem the answer in both cases is always that 'Windows has found a DNS configuration problem that cannot be repaired automatically.'

The strange thing is that colleagues in the same and next door offices can connect via the same router with no problem so it seems that the problem is within my laptop, not the router. Not so long ago I was able to connect to the internet via wi-fi via the same router myself but then suddenly this problem started and nothing I have tried to resolve it worked.

I am using a laptop with Vista and an SMC router.

I'm just hoping a DNS expert reads this!

worgeordie - I cleared my cache but the problem remains

The other suggestion was...

First thing to check is if the DNS servers are configured manually in your WiFi and lan adapters settings. Put them on automatic if they are.

Also possible that DNS resolver components became damaged, run sfc /scannow from the command prompt run as administrator.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just run this and there seems to be a corrupt file somewhere. The scan result was this...

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was

unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Windows\system32>

Do you know how can I repair the corrupt files ?

First thing to check is if the DNS servers are configured manually in your WiFi and lan adapters settings. Put them on automatic if they are.

Also possible that DNS resolver components became damaged, run sfc /scannow from the command prompt run as administrator.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just run this and there seems to be a corrupt file somewhere. The scan result was this...

Google search result #2

It applies to an answer from a person querying this after they upgraded Vista to 7, but the techie appears to be referring to Vista as the document states

Note: This is also applies for windows 7:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/sfc-found-corrupt-files-but-was-unable-to-fix-now/3bb2755f-57d6-401a-aba1-74d1f2c56ae5

Try the sfc /scannow from the safe mode.

Please send me the CBS.log file via PM

I have tried to perform a clean start up as per the link above. At Step 2, and after clicking Disable All and clicking OK the system ceased to respond and I was unable to proceed any further.

Why does it do this ? And how can I complete the suggested steps ?

I have tried to perform a clean start up as per the link above. At Step 2, and after clicking Disable All and clicking OK the system ceased to respond and I was unable to proceed any further.
Why does it do this ? And how can I complete the suggested steps ?

FOLLOW THE STEPS IN THE VIDEO FIRST

BlackPuddingBertha - thanks, i omitted to mention before that my setting were already on automatic. I have just checked again and they still are.

OK. Next thing to check will be this:

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click "Tools," and then click "Internet Options."

3. Click "Connections," and then click "LAN Settings."

4. Make sure the check boxes for "Automatically detect settings" and "Use automatic configuration script" and "proxy" are not selected.

5. Apply changes & OK

Close IE. Restart the PC.

If you do a simple ping test then you will know whether it really is a DNS issue or some other connectivity problem. Windows networking error messages are often erroneous.

Open a command prompt and type the following followed by enter;

ping google.com

Now try;

ping 8.8.8.8

If you don't get a reply from the first ping but you do from the 2nd then it is indeed a DNS issue. If you get no reply from either then the problem lies elsewhere.

Seems to me to be your computer. Try my last advice at bottom.

Find your routers manual online and make sure its all are to default settings. Recheck the settings, try and ping something.

Run all tests via cable LAN as this will remove any variables of wifi. When you are up and running, go to wifi.

DNS, Mac settings might be stuck on stupid. Can other people STILL connect or is everyone down?

★★ Remove all the adapters (incl hidden adapters, google for that) and remove the connections. Do a cold boot. I think this will work!