How Would Thai Customs Value A Badly Accident Damaged Car Import?

mattk1

Hi guys,

I'm asking this question on behalf of a friend as I'm quite interested to know the answer too.

His wife owns a BMW 330D (in Thailand) that was quite badly flood damaged and is finding it hard to get parts for it. He has tracked an accident damaged exact model in the UK and was wondering what customs would make of this in terms of the tax they would charge.

The car he has found is visibly badly damaged (Cat C insurance write-off) but all the bits inside are ok and could be used to repair his wife's flood damaged car.

I know this may all be put to a dead stop but it if anyone can shed some light I'd be interested to hear.

I hope the attached link works.

http://postimage.org/image/geicr70td/

Thanks a lot,

Matt

It would be interesting to put this to the test. I read somewhere on here about how second hand car parts have been banned but as this is a complete car (albeit badly damaged) I wonder what they would make of it.

I personally think this whole idea is a no go and is asking for trouble but if anyone else has some info please let us know! smile.png

If you want to import a whole vehicle you will need an import license before it is shipped. You will only find out the cost of importation when it has arrived and been inspected. The customs officials will probably be suspicious as they might wonder when a similar model but with only the rear damaged will arrive addressed to the same consignee. A bit of slicing and welding et voila. (I'm sure its been tried)

As far as the damage in the photo is concerned, does not look too bad, I reckon that will buff out mate.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I think they would determine it is not a used car as it is not road legal, so must be a collection of used parts and therefore not legal to import.

Transport the car to Penang, import the wreck, fix the car in Penang and drive it back.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

I think they would determine it is not a used car as it is not road legal, so must be a collection of used parts and therefore not legal to import.

Transport the car to Penang, import the wreck, fix the car in Penang and drive it back.

Hi Vocalneal, is that something that is doable? Could be worth a shot.. coffee1.gif

Have you seen all those cut up cars at roadside breakers only the front inner wings and front bulkhead left on it ? There's a reason for that. Yes they are imported for the parts.

I can't claim to have done this or know the answer, but I imagine most of those cars were insurance write offs too.

It would be interesting to put this to the test. I read somewhere on here about how second hand car parts have been banned but as this is a complete car (albeit badly damaged) I wonder what they would make of it.

I personally think this whole idea is a no go and is asking for trouble but if anyone else has some info please let us know! smile.png

If it's the interior bits and some mechanical pieces you're most interested in see about having it cut into thirds where it will definitely be obvious the parts are the primary interest and not reviving it here and then see about having it shipped, that way you'd have much less invested and the attempt may be worth your while though the dis-assembly may be a bit pricey if you don't have someone who can do it reasonably for you..

My impression of the parts ban is more about bulk shipments and as such you may be able to get a single exception granted in such a case with a detailed explanation. How much is it worth for you to try? Set a limit and investigate..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Might be something else to heavily consider or another bordering country though technical expertise may be lacking in some other countries..

Couple of points here. (1) Has insurance been paid out for the flood damaged BMW, if not then I think (maybe wrongly) that you have a case to argue with customs as the parts are not available in Thailand (2) Although from the picture the car did not look too badly damaged, but to be classified as a write off then it suggests chassis is damaged. I am sure you have seen vehicles 'crabbing" along roads in Thailand, these are usually damaged chassis that have been badly repaired! So we realise that in more advanced countries chassis damaged vehicles are usually written off, but not so here, so bringing in the whole vehicle which COULD be repaired to Thai standards would, in my opinion be courting customs problems.

To me the answer would be to strip everything you need from the write off and try to bring them in as used spare parts for your flood damaged car.

• Like 1

That car in the pix is probably repairable with mostly hang on parts. Look at the 'A' pillar and follow the roof line. The windscreen has little if no damage. Back in Europe a local wrecker (breaker) could source all the bits second hand in his network of like minded people. Probably in the same colour!

• Like 1