Yingluck Calls Thailand A Haven For Foreign Investment

webfact

I would like to start up a micro brewery ........ not going to hand 51% of any investment to a local.

Why on earth would anyone invest thier money in Thailand when you can never own the company. Foreigners invest all the money take all the risks and thai own the company scooping the majority of the profits without investing a single baht.

The Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations Between the Kingdom of Thailand and the United States of America was a treaty signed at Bangkok on May 29, 1966. The treaty allows for American citizens and businesses incorporated in the U.S, or in Thailand to maintain a majority shareholding or to wholly own its company in Thailand, and thereby engage in business on the same basis as would a Thai national.

And I'm sure that the benevolent Thai government would pay you compensation should they decide to change that.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to start up a micro brewery ........ not going to hand 51% of any investment to a local.

Why on earth would anyone invest thier money in Thailand when you can never own the company. Foreigners invest all the money take all the risks and thai own the company scooping the majority of the profits without investing a single baht.

The Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations Between the Kingdom of Thailand and the United States of America was a treaty signed at Bangkok on May 29, 1966. The treaty allows for American citizens and businesses incorporated in the U.S, or in Thailand to maintain a majority shareholding or to wholly own its company in Thailand, and thereby engage in business on the same basis as would a Thai national.

And I'm sure that the benevolent Thai government would pay you compensation should they decide to change that.

The benevolent Thai government has been honoring the treaty for 46 years. That said in odds is I am 46 to 1 correct and you are 46 to 1 wrong.

• Like 1

Its just typical of all Thai's.

Its always about what we as foreigners can do for Thailand, never what they can do for us in return.

Wasn't there a French-Belgian guy who recently lost a multi million baht luxury villa due to the Chanote being a worthless piece of paper? No protection. It happens alot here and more to come expecially if Abhisit gets back in the driving seat.

Thailand sees foreigners as a cash cow thats just begging to be milked.

Is PM Yingluck going to make a quick side trip to Austria to compensate companies there that were scammed by a previous Bangkok governor?

I bet she doesnt ! Bad luck ,start again Austria.

Foreigners in Thailand are nothing more than a defacto welfare system. Marry a peasant girl and support her entire family.

Farang husband steps out of line.......deport and blacklist him. Hey farang ! " when you get home farang send money every month to Thailand for the Issan family. They're your responsibility farang.. not ours !

"No prompem farang"!

Amazing Thailand

Edited by jalansanitwong

The benevolent Thai government has been honoring the treaty for 46 years. That said in odds is I am 46 to 1 correct and you are 46 to 1 wrong.

Any smart gambler will tell you that previous history is meaningless on predicting the next throw of the dice. Good luck with your system.

Any smart gambler will tell you that previous history is meaningless on predicting the next throw of the dice. Good luck with your system.

Any business man will tell you that past performance determines future behaviour. The treaty has withstood a number of coups, floods and countless changes in government. I would suggest your system is nonsense in a modern business environment.

When I hear the word haven applied to the business/financial world, I immediately think of tax haven, which actually has negative connotations abroad.

It's not negative if you're moving billions in Ample Rich stock through the tax haven of the British Virgin Islands.

Congratulations.You are the first winner in 2013 of the forum prize (The Sriracha Trophy) for introducing Thaksin to a thread where he is entirely irrelevant.

Thailand is not a haven for investment, it is xenophobic, has a justice system that is corruptible, a police force that has no bearing on justice except lining its own pockets and certainly with no regard to the law except how they can twist it for gain, a government that is possibly the MOST corrupt of all time for Thailand which is already near the bottom of the heap of corruption infested countries and a local government system that is borne from it. It has no way for foreign management to own their own homes never mind longer staying expatriates, it is almost impossible to get civil or criminal or civil justice here and no respect for the law of contract - the most basic of business requirements. It has a policy of refusing to allow you to take you investment out of the country and anyway the tax offices are so biased it is most unlikely you will make any profit anyway. There is no logic, no honesty, no morality and the thing they are most proud of is their Thai Culture that brought them to this state of affairs. The workers are lazy, ignorant through lack of education and anything beyond repetitive work is way beyond 90% of them - also they have extended family with hundreds of mothers, fathers, grandmothers, and grandfathers that fall sick and die with alarming regularity - I guess most of those must be adoptive parents? anyway a good excuse for a day off. The labour laws and just about everything else is loaded against business.

It is a safe haven for foreign investment if by that she means foreigners will likely end up in the investment graveyard along with their bodies after the mafia have finished screwing every asset off them. No I don't think so ex-Ms Thaksin - that sounds like a load of ........

Just say what you really feel..... :-) Just kidding, you have pretty much nailed the issues. After a long time here, I am amazed that anyone would invest one dollar here. Big international businesses seem to do ok such as Honda, but I think they are somewhat immune to the lower level shakedowns. Of course Pepsi cannot be very happy now.....Perhaps large companies wishing to invest here could contact them !!

Not saying any one is right or wrong but there sure is a lot of negativity posted here about Thailand.

The one thing all the nay sayers have in common is they do not recommend another country which has similar low labor costs.

This a request to borrow money for the government's use in infrastructure projects. It isn't an invitation to invest in business which you could do by buying stocks. The Thai government is well known for its corruption, and for massive amounts of money disappearing when first targeted for infrastructure.

Anyone who'd loan the Thai government money with it's corruption and unstable government would be downright foolish.

Not necessarily; they could be corrupt, too. ;)

When I hear the word haven applied to the business/financial world, I immediately think of tax haven, which actually has negative connotations abroad.

It's not negative if you're moving billions in Ample Rich stock through the tax haven of the British Virgin Islands.

Congratulations.You are the first winner in 2013 of the forum prize (The Sriracha Trophy) for introducing Thaksin to a thread where he is entirely irrelevant.

Don't mention the war, or the corrupt criminal abroad, acknowledged as the political leader of the country.

What are you babbling about? There's been hundreds of threads since the year began and countless threads with other posters (both pro and anti) bringing him into threads. Besides, I didn't actually name him, you did. Well done.

Bucking for Worst Stalker Award 2013, are you?

• Like 1

What are you babbling about? There's been hundreds of threads since the year began and countless threads with other posters (both pro and anti) bringing him into threads. Besides, I didn't actually name him, you did. Well done.

Oh you weren't talking about Thaksin? Who else moved stock through Ample Rich in the BVI? Please don't fib.

Yes there have been some other contenders but you win the grand prize for monumental irrelevance

Thailand is not a haven for investment, it is xenophobic, has a justice system that is corruptible, a police force that has no bearing on justice except lining its own pockets and certainly with no regard to the law except how they can twist it for gain, a government that is possibly the MOST corrupt of all time for Thailand which is already near the bottom of the heap of corruption infested countries and a local government system that is borne from it. It has no way for foreign management to own their own homes never mind longer staying expatriates, it is almost impossible to get civil or criminal or civil justice here and no respect for the law of contract - the most basic of business requirements. It has a policy of refusing to allow you to take you investment out of the country and anyway the tax offices are so biased it is most unlikely you will make any profit anyway. There is no logic, no honesty, no morality and the thing they are most proud of is their Thai Culture that brought them to this state of affairs. The workers are lazy, ignorant through lack of education and anything beyond repetitive work is way beyond 90% of them - also they have extended family with hundreds of mothers, fathers, grandmothers, and grandfathers that fall sick and die with alarming regularity - I guess most of those must be adoptive parents? anyway a good excuse for a day off. The labour laws and just about everything else is loaded against business.

It is a safe haven for foreign investment if by that she means foreigners will likely end up in the investment graveyard along with their bodies after the mafia have finished screwing every asset off them. No I don't think so ex-Ms Thaksin - that sounds like a load of ........

Just say what you really feel..... :-) Just kidding, you have pretty much nailed the issues. After a long time here, I am amazed that anyone would invest one dollar here. Big international businesses seem to do ok such as Honda, but I think they are somewhat immune to the lower level shakedowns. Of course Pepsi cannot be very happy now.....Perhaps large companies wishing to invest here could contact them !!

Not saying any one is right or wrong but there sure is a lot of negativity posted here about Thailand.

The one thing all the nay sayers have in common is they do not recommend another country which has similar low labor costs.

This a request to borrow money for the government's use in infrastructure projects. It isn't an invitation to invest in business which you could do by buying stocks. The Thai government is well known for its corruption, and for massive amounts of money disappearing when first targeted for infrastructure.

Anyone who'd loan the Thai government money with it's corruption and unstable government would be downright foolish.

Point taken.

Can't recall the government reneging on debts to foreign investors in its infrastructure

But I do recall them reneging With paying some bills in Germany that caused a well known figure in Thailand to have his jet confiscated.

As far as corruption goes that should not figure in on the lenders side. He loans $100 and expects to get it back plus interest. He is not concerned with where it goes as long as he gets it back. If 30% of it goes to Dubai that is immaterial to him.

At least that is the way I see it.

"A haven for foreign investment".........Is she really that dumb! A friend of mine who owns several large cattle stations and a small abattoir in Queensland, came to Thailand with the 'hope' of starting a beef import business. However after a month he gave up in frustration because there were so many officials who thought that they should be included in the 'gravy' train, all demanding their cut before the next step in the process .

I often wonder how much investment Thailand looses because of this greedy "high so" Thai habit .

• Like 2

QUOTE= ovenman

UNQUOTE.

Oh you weren't talking about Thaksin? Who else moved stock through Ample Rich in the BVI?

Ignoring the hundreds of threads and countless other posters, you're definitely trying to nail down that Award I see. Your place is safe, though, so don't worry.

btw, Panthongtae was the one moving stock. Thaksin obstensibly had nothing to do with Shin stock since he assumed the premiership in 2001, remember? I thought you were supposed to be knowledgeable on these matters.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/61322-thaksins-son-found-guilty-of-violating-security-regulations/

coffee1.gif

Edited by Buchholz

Well I could be wrong but is there not a lot of small businesses owned by expats?

Admittedly there is a ton of paper work but is it not a fact?

And what system are you using on predicting the future?

Remember you can not use any thing from yesterday in your system.

"A haven for foreign investment".........Is she really that dumb! A friend of mine who owns several large cattle stations and a small abattoir in Queensland, came to Thailand with the 'hope' of starting a beef import business. However after a month he gave up in frustration because there were so many officials who thought that they should be included in the 'gravy' train, all demanding their cut before the next step in the process .

I often wonder how much investment Thailand looses because of this greedy "high so" Thai habit .

Not exactly sure what you are talking about here.

If your friend goes through the hoops are you predicting he will loose his money or are you just bemoaning that worn out old corruption bit. So what there is thousands of companies paying it and making money.

Your friend does not sound to savvy bossiness wise if he came in to Thailand to start a company and had no idea of what it took.

I guess what I am saying if he was surprised he is a bad business man.

Ever tried it ? whistling.gif

I have the feeling you want to ask a specific question. Best to talk to one of the Thai Visa sponsors about the Treaty. I would suggest a law firm as the procedures of the application is complex. Hope I've helped. But if you are not an American as I assume and only want to cast aspersions on the Treaty then I don't want to get into it with you.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif "Dear International community, I came here to say that Thailand is an investment paradise, thank you so much for your courtesy, have a nice day, good bye..."giggle.gifgiggle.gif

...Thailand is an investment paradise. Yeah! As much as Norway is a taxpayers paradise! I wonder what this woman is dreaming of at night.

Edited by TackyToo

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif "Dear International community, I came here to say that Thailand is an investment paradise, thank you so much for your courtesy, have a nice day, good bye..."giggle.gifgiggle.gif

...Thailand is an investment paradise. Yeah! As much as Norway is a taxpayers paradise! I wonder what this woman is dreaming of at night.

Obama?

• Like 2

I have, it is fairly common for Americans to have an Amity CO. and not to difficult, to set one up, with the right law firm.

Good discussion here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/434149-treaty-of-amity-company/?hl=treaty+of+amity+company#entry4378590

Edited by dcutman

I think it may be you who is dreaming. The value of foreign investment approved by the BOI stood at Bt826 billion for the first 10 months of this year and the whole 2013 figure was expected to touch Bt1 trillion for the first time.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Govt-stimulus-Asean-growth-to-push-Thai-GDP-30195296.html

Edited by chiangmaikelly

So, haven for foreign investment??

- Not being able to own a company to 100%

- At least 100 ways of being cheated off all your investment and actually your last shirt

- No way to win a court case as a foreigner

- Hostile foreign policies and expats being treated like criminals even if married and children

- Complicated visa and work permit procedures even if you're already living here for 10 year.

Oh yea, sounds like a great place to invest. Remind me: Why was I here?

Exactly was I was about to post.

I would just have added:

- nightmarish corruption level at customs: Foreign investors, be ready for repeated racket

A haven of foreign investment where you are not allowed to own your own business or land and have to run a constant gauntlet to get visas and work permits. Ha ha.

I guess that's why, "The value of foreign investment approved by the BOI stood at Bt826 billion for the first 10 months of this year and the whole 2013 figure was expected to touch Bt1 trillion for the first time. Ha ha ha.

I think it may be you who is dreaming. The value of foreign investment approved by the BOI stood at Bt826 billion for the first 10 months of this year and the whole 2013 figure was expected to touch Bt1 trillion for the first time.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Govt-stimulus-Asean-growth-to-push-Thai-GDP-30195296.html

This has nothing to do with the PTP governments economic credibility its a world wide trend. Again a THaksin government is in power when there is a massive upsurge in stock prices, or a bubble.

The gains continued during Wednesday's local session, with stock markets

across Asia higher.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/breaking-news/a-higher-after-strong-retail-figures/story-e6frfkur-1226591193121#ixzz2MqQIdCg7

MANILA - Asia's most expensive stock market should be out of gas, but there are signs it could have more room to run.

The Philippine stock market, Asia's strongest after Thailand, climbed 33 percent this year and 74 percent since reform-minded President Benigno Aquino

took office in July 2010. It's now Asia's priciest, trading at 17 times projected earnings, nearly double the Asia-Pacific average, according to Thomson Reuters data.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/12/26/12/philippines-asias-priciest-eyes-new-stock-market-peaks-2013

ect ect

This has nothing to do with the PTP governments economic credibility its a world wide trend. Again a THaksin government is in power when there is a massive upsurge in stock prices, or a bubble.

The gains continued during Wednesday's local session, with stock markets

across Asia higher.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/breaking-news/a-higher-after-strong-retail-figures/story-e6frfkur-1226591193121#ixzz2MqQIdCg7

MANILA - Asia's most expensive stock market should be out of gas, but there are signs it could have more room to run.

The Philippine stock market, Asia's strongest after Thailand, climbed 33 percent this year and 74 percent since reform-minded President Benigno Aquino

took office in July 2010. It's now Asia's priciest, trading at 17 times projected earnings, nearly double the Asia-Pacific average, according to Thomson Reuters data.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/business/12/26/12/philippines-asias-priciest-eyes-new-stock-market-peaks-2013

ect ect

It the topic was about the Aussie dollar or the Philippine stock market the above would be an interesting post.

You are responding to a post that stated, "Foreign investment stood at Bt826 billion for the first 10 months of this year and the whole 2013 figure was expected to touch Bt1 trillion for the first time."

Edited by chiangmaikelly