Cheapest Indian Food Buffet In Bangkok

hermespan

It has been many years since I have been to either of the South Asian areas outside of Sukhumvit--that is GPO and that area of fabrics. So, better deals may be had there. Anyone with up to date reconaissance or experience please continue his thread.

Best deal in Sukhumvit (which certainly has a much larger Indian and midfle eadtern visitors since ten years ago, andvit is no longer limited to Grace hotel area) is...

GREAT PUNJAB

Soi 13

Buffet THB200

8pm -> 10:30 pm

Go to Miami Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 13, walk down soi. It is on left on a corner.

Pluses

- Reliable vegetarian food plus one non-veg dish (clearly marked) *

- Doesn't close early

- No puritanical no alcohol rule

- Standard accompaniments (lime wedges, pappadam, onions, cucumber, raita)

- Atmosphere something between a bar and a canteen

- Basics: dahl, rice (basmati?), two veg, roti, sometimes potatoes as well, a fkeshfood dish (e.g. chicken), ice cream (limit one?)

Minuses

- Boring, menu rotates some, but very little variety

- Must order delicacies like anything deep-fried extrNo

- No prostitutes (hookers and Indian food--what a marketing concept!)

- Roti are a bit hard

- Not that fresh?

- Functional food, not especially delicious--a place to fill up rather than marvel at Indian cuisine. It is very much like a truckdriver's dhabiwalla 'quality'

Clientele is 90% groups of Indian men. Some couples, usually middle age+. No young Indians. Everybody looks Indian and the ladies look Hindu. Don't know why muslims avoid the place--maybe it's they're forbidden to eat food that might have been offered to gods.

* What I like about Indian food, especially if the restaurant is run by Hindus, Jains or Sikhs, is that there is no ambiguity about if there is any fleshfood in the dish. But, it is heavy (arguably less so if south indian) so once a week is enough for me.

• Like 1

This restaurant on Soi 13, the Greater Punjab, is certainly the most authentic and best in the Nana/Asok area, having tried most of them. The owners are very friendly Sikh and always go out of their way to oblige all tastes, just ask. It is in the Trendy building, not to be confused with the little smelly Bangladeshi place, almost next door to them. Although the buffet is ample and cheap. I highly recommend looking at their unusual varied menu. As a vegetarian, one can order 'half' portions (still plenty for several people), so you can try several of their specialities. The prices are quite reasonable. Recommendable is the Bitter Goard, the Egg Plant Massala, when fresh, mushroom curry and the Black Dhal. For us Veggie eaters, one can even bring in 'faut/fake meat' from the local Villa and they will cook it the same ways they will do animals. Although the main room is often filled with tour groups of Indians, they do have a nice AC smaller room for others, which is relief from the sometimes very noisy Indian crowd. They even have Indian style sweet 'Pan', as a traditional digestive to finish. Try it, You'll like it!

This doesn't sound significantly cheaper/better than Spices2 or the Beverly Hotel in Pattaya. Certainly not worth driving to Bangkok for.

Why is Indian food so overpriced and so dull in Thailand? In Malaysia it's half the price and twice as good.

Supply and demand. In Malaysia, Indian food isn't tourist food, it's local food, at least in big cities with significant Indian populations. The more Indians the cheaper and tastier (if you shop around).

But I disagree that Indian food is half the price and twice as good. Although mamak cafe (north Indian Muslim) restaurants is as you describe, south Indian, is four times cheaper and five times more delicious!

My apologies for not posting this in BKK section.