Election Commission Asks For 30 Days To Endorse New Bangkok Governor

webfact

Election Commission asks for 30 days to endorse new Bangkok governor
By English News

20130307085651.jpg

BANGKOK, March 7 – The Election Commission (EC) has postponed its official announcement endorsing the election of Sukhumbhand Paribatra as Bangkok’s new governor, pending investigations of protests which it says will take about 30 days.

EC secretary general Puchong Nutrawong said the EC meeting voted three to one to hold back the endorsement to enable committee members to look into three complaints charging Mr Sukhumbhand with breach of the Election Law.

If the investigation is not finished within 30 days, the EC will allow the governor-elect to assume the post while the probe continues, he said.

The three complainants charged Mr Sukhumbhand with violating Article 57 (5) of the Local Election Act for making campaign statements which could mislead voters.

Mr Puchong said the Bangkok Election Commission promised to finish the investigation in 15 days after which the result will be submitted to the Central Election Commission for further action.

Mr Sukhumbhand contested the Bangkok gubernatorial election under the Democrat banner defeated his major rival from the government’s Pheu Thai Party, Pongsapat Pongcharoen, by a substantial majority. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-07

The three complainants charged Mr Sukhumbhand with violating Article 57
(5) of the Local Election Act for making campaign statements which could
mislead voters.

Did he also make the statement of "working seamlessly with the Central Govt" and "Bring added benefits from the Central Govt, to the cities residents" If thats the case, then he is in big trouble.

quote: The three complainants charged Mr Sukhumbhand with violating Article 57
mislead voters. /end

cheesy.gif Thank you Pheu Thai, that statement made my day.

Weep... these tricks won't work

Edited by DocHolliday

If they haven't completed the investigation in 30 days, he can assume the post, so why not just let him start now?

After 15 days the investigation results will be forwarded for further action. Sounds like the investigation is completed already.

Back room agenda.................what is back room agenda?

UPDATE
Probe of Bangkok election complaints expected to be complete in 15 days: EC

By English News

20130307125257.jpg

BANGKOK, March 7 - The Election Commission (EC) said the investigation of complaints related to the March 3 gubernatorial election is expected to be finished within 15 days, as it has delayed the endorsement of Sukhumbhand Paribatra as Bangkok’s re-elected governor.

Pol Lt Gen Thaweesak Tuchinda, chairman of the Bangkok election commission, said the EC could not endorse Mr Sukhumbhand's victory as there are two complaints filed against him.

He said Bangkok's EC has accepted the complaints, one from a voter and another from a gubernatorial candidate, to proceed with the investigation and are now collecting evidence.

Gen Thaweesak said the two complaints alleged slanders during the election campaign, but he could not yet revealed detailed information until the Bangkok election commission meets this afternoon to discuss over the cases.

Mr Sukhumbhand contesting the Bangkok gubernatorial election under the Democrat banner defeated his major rival from the government’s Pheu Thai Party, Pongsapat Pongcharoen, by a substantial majority on March 3.

Meanwhile, Democrat MP Boonyod Sukthinthai on Thursday urged the EC to speed up the investigation.

He also asked the poll agency to apply the same standard two years ago when he filed a similar complaint with the commission accusing Red Shirt leader Natthawut Saikua of slandering the Democrat Party in 2011 election campaign and the EC ruled that the action was not unlawful as it was a personal opinion.

The EC secretary-general Puchong Nutrawong earlier announced that the EC meeting voted three to one to withhold Mr Sukhumbhand's endorsement to enable committee members to look into complaints charging Mr Sukhumbhand with breach of the Election Law.

If the investigation is not finished within 30 days, the EC will allow the governor-elect to assume the post while the probe continues, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-03-07

So with MR Sukhumbhant resigning his post as governor on January 9th (to avoid charges as using office to campaign) and possibly 'temporarily' assuming the position again three months later, and under threat of being charged and dismissed, it's clear and obvious for all to see that the failure to implement new policies and bring progress to Bangkok and it citizens is purely to blame on ... ... ...

I have just received inside information that the voter complaining may be the lady on the far right. Sorry I can't reveal my source as I may be visited by the lady or even the entire group.

102187006.jpg

The three complainants charged Mr Sukhumbhand with violating Article 57

mislead voters.

Did he also make the statement of "working seamlessly with the Central Govt" and "Bring added benefits from the Central Govt, to the cities residents" If thats the case, then he is in big trouble.

Not to mention thousands of toilets, fire stations and reduced public (really private) transport costs

AFTERMATH
Probe of Bangkok election complaints to be complete in 15 days: EC

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The investigation of complaints related to the March 3 gubernatorial election is expected to be finished within 15 days and is delaying the endorsement of Sukhumbhand Paribatra as Bangkok's re-elected governor.

Pol Lt Gen Thaweesak Tuchinda, chairman of the Bangkok election commission, said the EC could not endorse Sukhumbhand’s victory as there are two complaints filed against him.

He said Bangkok’s EC had accepted the complaints, one from a voter and another from a gubernatorial candidate, and was proceeding with the investigation and collecting evidence.

The two complaints allege slander during the election campaign but Thaweesak said he could not reveal details information until after the Bangkok election commission meets this afternoon to discuss the cases.

Sukhumbhand, who was contesting the Bangkok gubernatorial election under the Democrat banner, defeated his major rival from the government's Pheu Thai Party, Pongsapat Pongcharoen, by a substantial majority on March 3.

Democrat MP Boonyod Sukthinthai on Thursday urged the EC to speed up the investigation.

He also asked the poll agency to apply the same standard as two years ago when he filed a similar complaint with the commission accusing Red Shirt leader Natthawut Saikua of slandering the Democrat Party during the 2011 election campaign. The EC ruled that the action was not unlawful as it was a personal opinion.

EC secretary general Puchong Nutrawong earlier announced that the EC meeting had voted three to one to withhold Mr Sukhumbhand’s endorsement to enable committee members to look into complaints charging Sukhumbhand with breach of the Election Law.

If the investigation is not finished within 30 days, the EC will allow the governor-elect to assume the post while the probe continues, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-03-07

So with MR Sukhumbhant resigning his post as governor on January 9th (to avoid charges as using office to campaign) and possibly 'temporarily' assuming the position again three months later, and under threat of being charged and dismissed, it's clear and obvious for all to see that the failure to implement new policies and bring progress to Bangkok and it citizens is purely to blame on ... ... ...

Following the EC's own rules on investigatingations being completeted before endorsement.

Of course you imply that the PTP will use this timescale as a stick to beat the BMA with - Quite the opposite, if the the PTP found a way to speed up the installation of the Governor the dems would be all over them like a cheap suit accusing them of all kinds of nefarious activivities.

Following the EC's own rules on investigatingations being completeted before endorsement.

Of course you imply that the PTP will use this timescale as a stick to beat the BMA with - Quite the opposite, if the the PTP found a way to speed up the installation of the Governor the dems would be all over them like a cheap suit accusing them of all kinds of nefarious activivities.

My dear mutt, I think you misunderstood completely. I was somewhat referring to discussions in topics around the election and results a few days ago. You may have been too busy to participate then.

It was suggested by one of the 'sour grapers' that I was already looking for good reasons why the new governor would be unable to deliver on election promises. I indicated that with the government promising to seamlesly co-operate with good policies we might not have a problem. On the other hand, there hasn't been a firm hand and CEO at the BMA since December 2012 and when the old governor comes back as new governor he might still be under various investigations which will surely hamper his style and space to manouver efficiently or even effectively.

I have no problem with the EC investigating complaints, I would only wish for them to speed up without cutting corners and be able to deliver a clear, unambiguous and objective verdict.

"making campaign statements which could mislead voters."

I really didn't follow the election that close. was there any contestant who didn't make a statrmrnt like that?

The (sore) loser and Yingluck said they are going to work close with the winner.

Is trying to get him disqualified their idea of working close with him?

And people wonder why the National government is such a mess.sad.png

Perhaps they should have called Dubai before trying to sound intelligent.cheesy.gif

Was that the promise that Bangkok Busses will be free? Oops, that was the Phue Thai candidate (Bus fare is in the competence of the national government, Ministry of Transportation)

Or was it the vote buying? Oops, that was also Phue Thai too.

Or the promise to... oh well

Were the governor elect to be disqualified, will there be new elections or will we just move to number 2, our dear Pol. General Dr. Pongsapat who is so eager to serve the Bangkok people that, after saying to stay away from politics, he's still willing to accept his old post with the Police Force so as not to disappoint his fans.

BTW if k. Pongsapat already did resign from the Pheu Thai party will he be 'seen' as Independent, or will number 3 Pol. General Seripisut get a chance. Now that would certainly cause his fans to celibrate, all 166,582 of them rolleyes.gif

I have just received inside information that the voter complaining may be the lady on the far right. Sorry I can't reveal my source as I may be visited by the lady or even the entire group.

102187006.jpg

That is one truly horrific and scary picture.

Edited by Bluespunk

102187006.jpg

That is one truly horrific and scary picture.

The stuff of nightmares. Should the picture go viral TAT will have their work cut out to maintain their existence. For sure the sex tourists would become ex tourists.

• Like 1

quote: The three complainants charged Mr Sukhumbhand with violating Article 57

mislead voters. /end

cheesy.gif Thank you Pheu Thai, that statement made my day.

Weep... these tricks won't work

They Thaksin is desperat.

It's all been said. There is obviously no need for this delay. More muck raking for no reason by the losers. Why can't PTP just accept defeat, let the country (Bangkok) move forward. This is still enough political crap to throw around to keep BS govt bodies busy wasting unnecessary time on headline grabbing pathetic issues.