The Mike Bashing Thread

Ulysses G.

Dragged my husband there last week for lunch. Got pulled over by the police on the way. Weasled our way out of a ticket. :D Ordered burritos. My husband wouldn't even finish his. Definitely a problem with the tortillas. The Salsa Kitchen is the best bet for Mexican food, me thinks. IMHO, Mike's food always tastes best after midnight and many bottles of beer. :o

Perhaps beside the point, but it makes me cringe the way he talks to the girls who work for him.

Cheers,

TT

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've changed the title of the thread. Probably "genteel" rather than "Gentile" is what the OP meant, or maybe even "gentle," neither of which applies to Mike's reputation. Never met the guy, but I wouldn't be able to tell if he's Gentile or Jewish.

I liked the Mexican food at the stall inside Rimping (next to Simon's Cabaret). But I like Tex-Mex food.

Why oh why do people keep getting their knickers in a twist over Mexican food? Surely it is the most overrated cuisine going. Fry up some beans and meaty sludge, whack it a pitta bread and slather with various shades of gunk. Drunk food, no more, no less.

"Oh, man, but you gotta try the fish tortillas down in Bahasa!" <deleted>

"This guacamole ain't right, you gotta use celantro from Tijuana." Arse

I bet Miguel's dripping sweat at least gives a little taste to the crap.

Edited by polecat

I've changed the title of the thread. Probably "genteel" rather than "Gentile" is what the OP meant, or maybe even "gentle," neither of which applies to Mike's reputation.

Genteel or gentle would do, either way, I was taking the piss! :o

Why oh why do people keep getting their knickers in a twist over Mexican food? Surely it is the most overrated cuisine going. Fry up some beans and meaty sludge, whack it a pitta bread and slather with various shades of gunk. Drunk food, no more, no less.

Substitute "Thai" for "Mexican" in the above quote, and you've got my sentiments.

Lived three years in both places, and ate Tex-Mex for thirty years. Thai food can't hold a candle to properly cooked Mexican food. Some Tex-Mex and Zacatecan food is even spicier than Thai food, but smells ten times better.

But I like Tex-Mex food.

Same here, but then I grew up in Texas. Still remember when I was young and you could get hot Tamales steamed in corn shucks (or husks) from street vendors.

Wonder if they were tamolies rather then tortillas that he was making? That might explain the "doughy" comments.

"Tamales are a truly ancient food in Mexico -- they were being made and eaten in great variety long before Columbus ever crossed the ocean blue and ran into places he didn't know existed. Tamales, quite simply, are some sort of doughy mixture, usually based on corn, that have been wrapped in corn husks or leaves and steamed." Ususally filled with beef or other items.

post-566-1142252396_thumb.jpg

Edited by tywais

Substitute "Thai" for "Mexican" in the above quote, and you've got my sentiments.

Lived three years in both places, and ate Tex-Mex for thirty years. Thai food can't hold a candle to properly cooked Mexican food. Some Tex-Mex and Zacatecan food is even spicier than Thai food, but smells ten times better.

Agreed , oh peaceful one! :o

In your opinion !( someone who can't cook can't be qualified to comment on which food is cooked best IMO )

Fortunately Thai food is revered amongst the worlds gastro critics as one of the best.

Mexican is not in the top ten. Nice when pissed though.

Edited by chonabot

Yes, in my opinion. Almost everything I post is only my opinion. And I'm often wrong. Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues wrote, "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to know."

I ain't no connoisser of fine quisine, :D and I ain't no gallopin' gourmay. :o But I know what smells and tastes good to me. I used to eat three meals per day of little more than whole, boiled black beans with hand-rolled corn tortillas in the Highlands of Chiapas. That's Mexican food, with recipe going back thousands of years! But it doesn't win any gourmet awards.

Yes, in my opinion. Almost everything I post is only my opinion. And I'm often wrong. Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues wrote, "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to know."

I ain't no connoisser of fine quisine, :D and I ain't no gallopin' gourmay. :o But I know what smells and tastes good to me. I used to eat three meals per day of little more than whole, boiled black beans with hand-rolled corn tortillas in the Highlands of Chiapas. That's Mexican food, with recipe going back thousands of years! But it doesn't win any gourmet awards.

I agree with everything you have written , my post seems trite and pompous in retrospect.

Who gives a stuff about awards, you like what you like and thats enuff!

The only time I have been to Mexico ( Yucatan) I remember the food was far better than the Mexican hostelries in the UK ( Or Thailand...)

:D

Edited by chonabot

'The Dan Sai Kid' date='2006-03-12 13:44:59' post='675411']

It looks like it will be really hot there in the late afternoon. And, where do you park your car?

It has lots of electric fans and is comfortable around 1-2 in the afternoon; I'm not sure about later.

If you look immediately to the right of the restaurant there is a whole parking lot that belongs to Miguel's. Lots of parking spaces plus a few in front of the restaurant as well. Parking is good. :o

Actually, I think that the food is good and getting better.

He seems to have been fiddling with the tortillas and everything else and they have improved on a daily basis (I am going on a diet soon so have been trying to get my fill of burritos). Just think how good the food will get as he keeps getting better.

Even the Duke's took almost a year to get most of the menu in the good-most-of-the-time range and he has lots of cooking experince in Thailand and abroad. Freinds of mine that wouldn't go there 6 months ago are raving about how great it is now and don't want to go anywhere else.

Mike got angry that I had put him on TV so soon after opening because he wanted to open slowly and get things right before many people knew about it; Instead he is doing a good business already pretty much every day (closed on Mondays), but he is trying to work on teaching the staff and choosing the right ingredients and improving recipes all at the same time.

All my friends like it and the people I have listened in on in the restaurant seem pretty genuine about liking it too.

Again - in time- I think that it might be the answer to our prayers as far as real LA/SF style Mexican food goes.

Now, if someone would open a San Francisco-style Chinese restaurant, I would be truly happy! :o

Now, if someone would open a San Francisco-style Chinese restaurant, I would be truly happy! :o

I'll vote for that Ulysess. Forgot the name of the Chinese restaurant in Diamond Heights. It was the best.

New Mexican Mexican is my cup of tea tho.

jb

'The Dan Sai Kid' date='2006-03-12 13:44:59' post='675411']

Lots of parking spaces plus a few in front of the restaurant as well. Parking is good. :o

If I park outside his restaurant will Mike pay to get the clamp taken off of my car - you are not allowed to park there!

Also, I had a townhouse that faced the same direction as Mike's - in the late afternoon all the electric fans in the world wouldn't have made a difference.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

i had a terrible experience there today.

miguel was swearing and shouting all the time. 15times i counted him saying "she have to go"(about one of the serving girl, whatever she did or did not do it was wrong) and talking shit about customer "she´s not even spannish she´s puerto rican" and loads of shit.

scream and yelling the whole time, we customer was looking at each a bit surprised by the unexpected show.

my burritos did not have the cheese and cream i ordered. no sallad and no rice either as i would have gotten from salsa kitchen for the same price. the draft tiger was flat :o

until he sorts out his things out i recommend you get your mexican food from salsa kitchen or dukes.

just my 2satang....

I'll vote for that Ulysess. Forgot the name of the Chinese restaurant in Diamond Heights. It was the best.

jb

anyone remember Sam Wo's (in Chinatown just offa Grant...you had to go thru the kitchen and up the narrow stairs to get to the dining area)?...open 24 hrs and the best noodles in town (you can forget about the other stuff on the menu though)...put any noodle stall in CM or BKK to shame...and not a tad of nam pla and chiles in sight...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

jb

anyone remember Sam Wo's (in Chinatown just offa Grant...you had to go thru the kitchen and up the narrow stairs to get to the dining area)?...open 24 hrs and the best noodles in town (you can forget about the other stuff on the menu though)...put any noodle stall in CM or BKK to shame...and not a tad of nam pla and chiles in sight...

That was a favorite spot in SF with almost everybody including rock stars and politicians.

The waiters were really rude and people thought that it was funny to go there and get insulted.

Good food too though! :D

miguel was swearing and shouting all the time. 15times i counted him saying "she have to go"(about one of the serving girl, whatever she did or did not do it was wrong) and talking shit about customer "she´s not even spannish she´s puerto rican" and loads of shit.

scream and yelling the whole time, we customer was looking at each a bit surprised by the unexpected show.

This is situation normal at all of Mike's restaraunts when he is on the premises. Yelling at the staff and customers is considered to be part of the floor show.

Usually the food is good however. :o

jb

Sure, I tremember Sam Wo's. Remember Edsel Ford Fong, the waiter? When my dad used to take me there as a kid, Edsel would force me to clear customer's tables as soon as they left. Great Sweet and Sour Pork.

Thanks for that memory :D

This is situation normal at all of Mike's restaraunts when he is on the premises. Yelling at the staff and customers is considered to be part of the floor show.

It sure sounds like a bad Business Model to me...

I love Mexican food, but I surely won't be going to this place.

Sure, I tremember Sam Wo's. Remember Edsel Ford Fong, the waiter? When my dad used to take me there as a kid, Edsel would force me to clear customer's tables as soon as they left. Great Sweet and Sour Pork.

Thanks for that memory :o

This is strange! I'm not from San Francisco by a long shot, but I'be been to this place too. Who could forget a crazed Chinese waiter named Edsel Ford?

He told me to "be pricise, concise and keep (my) feet out of the aisle." He then had me up waiting on other tables.

Indeed a blast from the past.

Sam Wo's (I think the full name is Sam Wo's Noodle House or Sam Wo's Noodle Factory) was still going strong when I visited last June. It was the 1st time I'd been there in a decade or so. It closes at 3am, always has at least back to 1979 when I first started going there on occasion. I only liked the house speciality, chao fun (stir-fried rice noodles, very thick and fresh), available in several variations, and found most everything else on the menu just OK at best. But the experience of walking through the kitchen and up the narrow stairs is more than half the fun.

Edsel passed away in 1982, by the way. The food and atmosphere hasn't changed, judging from the June 05 visit, and the service is still 'rude to order'. :o

I was there yesterday. I thought the tortillas were fine.

The first problem was his "salsa fresca", which is described as mildly spicy. It was nothing more than diced tomatoes. A little real pico de gallo would have done wonders. (Amazingly, the best "Mexican" salsa I've had in CM has been at the Buffet House on Huai Keuw Rd. It tasted like a spicy tomatillo based salsa and was far better than anything Salsa Kitchen, Dukes, or Miguel puts out).

Problem two are his prices. Tacos are 50-60B, burritos are 130B. I spend 4 months a year in NYC which has a large population from Puebla. I can get better tacos with much more variety (lengua, cabrito, real chorizo, etc) for $2.00 each at dozens of places. Huge burritos are $4.00 and the quality is definitely better than Miguel's. $3.00 will get me a quesadilla the size of a hubcap, with real Mexican cheese, in all those places.

But the biggest problem is Mike's attitude towards his staff. He was constantly yelling at his staff and berating them. It was interesting, but sad to watch. I hope he's paying them well.

I can't wait to get back to NY for some real Mexican food.

Problem two are his prices. Tacos are 50-60B, burritos are 130B. I spend 4 months a year in NYC which has a large population from Puebla. I can get better tacos with much more variety (lengua, cabrito, real chorizo, etc) for $2.00 each at dozens of places. Huge burritos are $4.00 and the quality is definitely better than Miguel's. $3.00 will get me a quesadilla the size of a hubcap, with real Mexican cheese, in all those places

I think it can be said that in America, Mexican food is cheap food. Here, it's Farang Food. Tortillas, cheese, avocados, beef, etc., are mostly more expensive here, too, as they should be. There is not nearly the market here like in America, so I think that price and ingredient comparisons aren't really fair.

Edited by Ajarn

If you need any help, I'll pitch in for a ticket.

Wake up Senor Pompouseno, you're lucky to get any freakin Mexican food in Chiang Mai at all! Do you get a little chubby telling the board about great deals in NY? If not, why bother? I bet another 5 guys could come on here and insist they know better and cheaper.

If you need any help, I'll pitch in for a ticket.

Wake up Senor Pompouseno, you're lucky to get any freakin Mexican food in Chiang Mai at all! Do you get a little chubby telling the board about great deals in NY? If not, why bother? I bet another 5 guys could come on here and insist they know better and cheaper.

A bit over the top considering el jefe's posting was generally polite and constructive. Unless of course Polecat happens to own a Mexican Restaurant. :o

It's amazing how much heat these galloping gourmet threads generate.