The Mike Bashing Thread

Ulysses G.

Mike opened his Mexican restaurant yesterday and it was pretty good.

He didn't tell anyone that he was opening and intended a quiet opening with few customers to get out the kinks but was swarmed by tourists and locals shortly after opening and had to close very early due to running out of food and supplies.

When we were there he was raving about how the food was terrible because it takes a few months to get everything together and to come back in the future, but my super-burrito was still better than any I've had in Asia.

I predict that, in time, Miguels will be the Mexican Restaurant that many of us have been waiting for. :o

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Wear the fox hat?

I think it's here: Suppose you're at the North Western city corner (Sri Phoom corner), going South, following traffic. Then you should see it on the left hand side just after where The Dodgy Soi meets the road along the moat (Chaiyaphoom road). :o

> Wear the fox hat?

I think it's here: Suppose you're at the North Western city corner (Sri Phoom corner), going South, following traffic. Then you should see it on the left hand side just after where The Dodgy Soi meets the road along the moat (Chaiyaphoom road). :o

Is it the place to the left of the hotel, in the place that has been a sandwich bar for a couple of years?

I think that it is at the right of the Miami Hotel when facing the building (looked like a sandwhich shop before he fixed it up) and the hours are 12PM to 12AM.

Has a big 3D chili on a fork and a bunch of signs out front.

I think that it is at the right of the Miami Hotel when facing the building (looked like a sandwhich shop before he fixed it up) and the hours are 12PM to 12AM.

Has a big 3D chili on a fork and a bunch of signs out front.

Oh, yeah, his propensity towards huge, ugly, plastic moulded signs. Can't miss them. :o

I think that it is at the right of the Miami Hotel when facing the building (looked like a sandwhich shop before he fixed it up)

Yeah, you're right. The place I was thinking of on the right is some guesthouse, last I saw.

Edited by Ajarn

He's from New Jersey! :D

Pity he's not from the REAL Jersey, (CI) he could bring me some money over from my bank account without me having to pay the ridiculous charges for a transfer :D

We have a big sign outside our restaurant but its not plastic its like a projection TV screen (could be cardboard though I have never been up the ladder to test it out :o

Quote: When we were there he was raving about how the food was terrible because it takes a few months to get everything together and to come back in the future, but my super-burrito was still better than any I've had in Asia.

Mike is his own worst critic. He's right though about getting the bugs sorted especially for ethnic food not typical in this part of the world. We ate there last night and I enjoyed my meal. My wife's flour tortilla was below par, more like a pie dough before it's baked. Mai pen rai, we'll be back for sure.

My wife's flour tortilla was below par, more like a pie dough before it's baked.

I complained about the tortilla being too doughy also. He told me that they are "Sonora" tortillas - that they are common in Southern California - and are supposed to be that way.

I like the Northern Cal type better, but beggars can't be choosers! :o

My wife's flour tortilla was below par, more like a pie dough before it's baked.

I complained about the tortilla being too doughy also. He told me that they are "Sonora" tortillas - that they are common in Southern California - and are supposed to be that way.

UG, if you go to the Salsa Kitchen you can get your Northern Cal type tortillas!

Ps. The Salsa Kitchen is in Talat Boon U - round the corner from the Irish Pub.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

Possibly because Flour tortillas were invented in Sonora, according to some sources. Also 'Sonora style' cooking is quite popular. Outside of the Sonora area in the rest of Mexico, most tortillas are made from corn, not flour.

Though I've never heard of one style being referred to as 'Sonora Tortillas'

Possibly because Flour tortillas were invented in Sonora, according to some sources. Also 'Sonora style' cooking is quite popular. Outside of the Sonora area in the rest of Mexico, most tortillas are made from corn, not flour.

Though I've never heard of one style being referred to as 'Sonora Tortillas'

Many styles of Mexican food in Mexico. Check out the following Web site!

http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/ingles/menu/frame.html

Ate at Mikes -what a disapoinment

I thought it would be better since he is a self proclaimed mexican food expert

The Tortilla was like eating dough

It was absolute G A R B A G E

And he is such a outgoing Friendly Chap-

Even his dripping sweat onto the grill or his disgusting towel he uses to touch his food didnt help his completly bland Food

But hey lets just grill with a ton of oil and call it Sonoran (short for BS)

Ill give him at least a month to try to salvage

Hmmm......

Bad Food

Bad Attitude

Bad Location

Good luck to Mr Personaility

Ate at Mikes -what a disapoinment

I thought it would be better since he is a self proclaimed mexican food expert

The Tortilla was like eating dough

It was absolute G A R B A G E

And he is such a outgoing Friendly Chap-

Even his dripping sweat onto the grill or his disgusting towel he uses to touch his food didnt help his completly bland Food

But hey lets just grill with a ton of oil and call it Sonoran (short for BS)

Ill give him at least a month to try to salvage

Hmmm......

Bad Food

Bad Attitude

Bad Location

Good luck to Mr Personaility

Interesting that someone else pulls no punches when it comes to restaurant reviews. Even more interesting is the dissimilarity in responses!

I haven't been there yet, but I have been past a few times I've never seen more than a couple of people in there at a time. It looks like it will be really hot there in the late afternoon. And, where do you park your car?

You need local trade in the low season for a place like that - who will go?

I can go to the Dukes and park right outisde!

I haven't been to Miguel's yet but real Sonoran tortillas are huge but very thin, not doughy at all. In fact they're so thin they're called tortillas de agua (water torfillas) because if you hold one up to the light it's transluscent. Also known as sobaqueras, they measure around 30cm in diameter. You have to have one of these to make a chivichanga (often spelt 'chimichanga' north of the border), which is more or less a huge deep-fried burrito.

In Sonora they're usually eaten wrapped around cabreria, mantarraya, machaca, tripa or carne asada al carbon, delicious washed down with chelas.