Thaksin Flees The Capital ... And Reality

george

From what I make of it, it seems like a common scam 419-type letter...

To: boppia

Subject: CONGRATULATIONS! YOU’VE WON

Sent: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:29:37 +0200 (CEST)

Attn: Sir,

Cashout Promo Lottery, Camperst 40-42, 1091 AG, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

From the desk of the Promotions Manager, International Promotions/Prize Award Department

Ref: OYL/26510460037/02

Batch: 24/00319/IPD

Attention: Re: Award notification; final notice

We are pleased to inform you of the announcement of winners of the Cashout Promo Lottery, The Netherlands/International Programmes, held on 18th June 2004.

You are attached to ticket number 023-0148-790-459, with serial number 5073-11, which drew the lucky numbers 43-11-44-37-10-43, and consequently won the lottery in the 3rd category.

You have therefore been approved for a lump sum payout of $850,000 in cash, credited to file Ref No: OYL/26510460037/02. This is from total prize money of $80,400,000.00, shared among the twenty-nine international winners in this category. All participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from 25,000 names from Australia, New Zealand, America, Europe, North America and Asia as part of the international promotions programme, which is conducted annually.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Your fund is now deposited with a security firm in Amsterdam. Due to the mix-up of some numbers and names, we ask that you keep this award strictly from public notice until your claim has been processed and your money remitted to your account.

This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming or unscrupulous acts by participants of this programme. We hope with a part of your prize, you will participate in our end of year high stakes $1.3 million international lottery.

To begin your claim, please contact your claim agent for due processing and remittance of your prize money to a designated account of your choice.

Thank you,

Mr Thaksin Shinawatra

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like not only is he fleeing the Capital... he's also testing the waters for fleeing the country.

:D

Too bad he's not a regular reader of thaivisa... because if he was, he would already know that the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing area can be a bit unnerving.

Also sounds as if not all of Issan is enthralled with him:

PM's limo bombarded

Protesters threw water and plastic bottles at the limousine of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra during his visit yesterday to Sa Kaew, the political stronghold of his friend-turned-foe Snoh Thienthong.

Scores of protesters tried to block the road as the premier's motorcade was leaving the Aranyaprathet border checkpoint, which he visited at 4pm.

Some 300 protesters greeted Thaksin when he arrived at the border checkpoint. They would have come to blows with supporters of Thaksin but for intervention by authorities.

Thaksin said he was not surprised at the protest, saying all leaders have "people who love you and people who don't".

:o

and who said he isn't smart...

- TN

09/03/06

PM's limo bombarded

Protesters threw water and plastic bottles at the limousine of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra during his visit yesterday to Sa Kaew, the political stronghold of his friend-turned-foe Snoh Thienthong.

- TN

09/03/06

Does Song-kran fall early this year ? :o

From what I make of it, it seems like a common scam 419-type letter...

I think it is mutating john - has anyone else recieved this in their inbox.... :o

.t

Sent: 17 April 2006 13:59

To: [email protected]

Subject: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLS CAN YOU HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEL:66-20-0000-0000usd

EMAIL:[email protected]

ATTN:MANAGING DIRECTOR.

GREETINGS

Dear Sir & Madam

I know you will be surprise to receive this letter. I am

Panthongta shinawatra; the only son of the PM thaskin shinawatra

who was charged and jailed for his fraudelent activity while a member of the ruling

government

I got your contact through the T.V profile pages regarding your trust worthy, as such; I

decided to ask for your assistance to transfer some money

Out of Thailand into your personal or company account.

Be fore my father's incarceration, he was the man in charge of everything. And in a

secret letter he specifically drew my

at! tention to the sum of US$2 billion (United State

Dollars) which deposited in a private Security and finance

company in the BVI

IN FACT MY FATHER SAID IN HIS "letter"AND I QUOTE. MY BELOVED

SON, I WISH TO DRAW YOUR ATTENTION TO THE SUM OF US$2 Billion, WHICH I DEPOSITED IN

PRIVATE SECURITY AND FINANCE

COMPANY IN the BVI, LIFE BEING

UNPREDICTABLE ESPECIALLY IN jail. INCASE OF

ANYTHING TOMMORROW DO TAKE CARE OF YOUR MOTHER AND YOUR

SISTERS AND MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT LACK ANYTHING.

From the above, you will understand that the lives and the

future of my Family depend on this money, as such we will

be very grateful if you can assist us. We are now leaving

in South of france as political asylum Seekers and financial

law of Principality of Monaco do not allow Asylum seekers

certain financial right to such huge amount of money. In

view of this, I cannot invest this money in monaco,

hence my ! asking you to assist me to trans! fer this money out

of Principality of Monaco to your own personal or Company account

overseas for investment purposes.

For your effort my family is willing to offer you 20% of

the total Money, while 5% will be put aside for local and

international expenses Incurred during the transaction and

the balance I intend to invest in a Profitable venture in

your country or else where you may advice. Please Note that

this transaction is 100% risk free, the major thing I

require from you is absolute ASSURANCE that the money will

be safe when transferred to your account

Finally, modalities on how to transfer this money will be

discussed Once a genuine interest from you is shown.

Thanks and God Bles! s You,

Best Regards.

MR. Panthongta shinawatra

Taksin no good take money Singapore

This statement really angers me. This shows that in Thailand there is struggle between the purist(who want to keep the blood pure Thai)and the non-purist(who want to make Thailand more foreign mixed). I mean all the protesters are all rich Thais' who want to run the economy without foreign competition. Under WTO guidelines, they must already open this market up to foreigners. Every country has foreigners owning assets, including Thailand owning Cambodia's Tel com market. So, all these xenophobic protesters need to wake and realize this is how the World economy works. If all us foreigners boycotted coming to Thailand then I wonder how those xenophobic protesters would react. They need to realize that they are being just as corrupt for wanting all the power themselves.

Taksin no good take money Singapore

This statement really angers me. This shows that in Thailand there is struggle between the purist(who want to keep the blood pure Thai)and the non-purist(who want to make Thailand more foreign mixed). I mean all the protesters are all rich Thais' who want to run the economy without foreign competition. Under WTO guidelines, they must already open this market up to foreigners. Every country has foreigners owning assets, including Thailand owning Cambodia's Tel com market. So, all these xenophobic protesters need to wake and realize this is how the World economy works. If all us foreigners boycotted coming to Thailand then I wonder how those xenophobic protesters would react. They need to realize that they are being just as corrupt for wanting all the power themselves.

here's something for them to do next, stop selling Thai rice and Thai sugar to foreigners! these are grown on Thai soil, using Thai labour! and so selling Thai rice and Thai sugar is like selling away a bit of Thailand to the foreign devils. lets see if they'll take this up.

I think it is mutating john - has anyone else recieved this in their inbox.... :o
.t

Sent: 17 April 2006 13:59

To: [email protected]

Subject: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLS CAN YOU HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEL:66-20-0000-0000usd

EMAIL:[email protected]

ATTN:MANAGING DIRECTOR.

GREETINGS

Dear Sir & Madam

I know you will be surprise to receive this letter. I am

Panthongta shinawatra; the only son of the PM thaskin shinawatra

who was charged and jailed for his fraudelent activity while a member of the ruling

government

I got your contact through the T.V profile pages regarding your trust worthy, as such; I

decided to ask for your assistance to transfer some money

Out of Thailand into your personal or company account.

Be fore my father's incarceration, he was the man in charge of everything. And in a

Hmmmm Nigeria now Thailand!!! :D

Shrewd man - out on the campaign trail for the next few weeks criss crossing thailand provinces. This is what the opposition should be doing, however they are intent on whinging instead of participating in the democratic process called an election.

You are quite right. I have always thought that the opposition should have joined the system. Put together a coherent platform with positive ideas. They should have been able to "win back" the country legally between now and the next election if their ideas are so good and if there is such a pressing need to replace Thaksin.

Yep, the opposition parties should be out there, campagining hard, showing the voters the right way, and outbidding TRT per person per vote.

I can't help but feel they've done the right thing.

While the PAD is making lots of noise the opposition parties have been awfully quiet lately, I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see a compromise with the opposition parties deciding to join the elections after all. They couldn't possibly benefit from surrendering all their seats and they sure have a good chance of winning quite a few more than they had before the house was dissolved.

BTW britainmal, your post is probably the best analysis of the current situation I have read on this board in recent days, spot on :o

To Brian in Isan, I dind't bring an interesting point - it's those 100,000 protesters at Sanam Luang. Ever read their statements? The latest came from some Women Union - Taksin has lost legitimacy after Shin sale. It's not about votes at all.

In a case like this there are two ways that I know of - first is impeachment proceedings in parlament - the opposition was asking for TRT MPs to support the notion as it doesn't have enough votes even to start the proceedings. Taksin agreed on a general debate, then put restrictions on topics allowed to raise (guess what, Shin sale was a no-no). Then he simply dissolved the parlament.

Second way is through National Counter Corruption Commission, NCCC, which is non-existent at the moment. The commissioners were busted last year for corruption themselves.

In 2000-2001 NCCC investigated Taksin for asset concealment and referred the case to Constitution Court for a final ruling.

As the case dragged on Taksin has managed to put enough loyal judges on the bench and NCCC lost the case on most ridiculous grounds - by adding votes for two defeated notions to make a majority.

Then Taksin staffed NCCC with his people and booted chief invetigator out, then NCCC was busted itself.

Finally, if you want urbanites to educate rural voters about these issues - they to realise that, but Taksin has a firm grip on media and there's no chance he'll ever allow any independent media to reach the countryside. Thailand's standing in media freedom rankings slipped to 107 from 59 just a couple of years ago.

all the protesters are all rich Thais' who want to run the economy without foreign competition. Under WTO guidelines, they must already open this market up to foreigners. Every country has foreigners owning assets, including Thailand owning Cambodia's Tel com market.

Nonsense. Taksin himself was behind holding up opening the sector. In five years in power he shifted entire ministries around and created a few new ones, but wouldn't allow forming National Telecommunications Commission until last year, and even then NTC can't function properly because lots of decisions must be made in tandem with National Broadcasting Commission, which still doesn't exist.

Are you posting obvious untruths deliberately?

Nonsense. Taksin himself was behind holding up opening the sector. In five years in power he shifted entire ministries around and created a few new ones, but wouldn't allow forming National Telecommunications Commission until last year, and even then NTC can't function properly because lots of decisions must be made in tandem with National Broadcasting Commission, which still doesn't exist.

Mr. Plus that has nothing to do with opening up the Telcom sector to foreign ownership. Who is the one who increased foreign ownership of the Telcom sector from 25 to 49? Mr Thaksin. Setting up a commision has nothing to do with foreign ownership of the Telcom sector. Who is the one who is telling a lie now. There is a lot of Corruption in Thailand. It does not only involve Thaksin. Corruption in Thailand is not determined by poltical parties. Everybody is involved, even the protesters. This is why Thailand did not have a stable leader in years and is why the financial crisis in 1997 took place.

you mean the 25 to 49% that allowed Thaksin to sell his family shares tax-free? ... Yeah he did that to open up the sector to foriegn investment and not for personal gain! 555

you mean the 25 to 49% that allowed Thaksin to sell his family shares tax-free? ... Yeah he did that to open up the sector to foriegn investment and not for personal gain! 555

Yeah, well the Singapore Company got increased foreign ownership from 25 to 49. This is called opening the Thai economy , which is very good for Thailand. The tax free money is allowed under Thai Law. If the protesters have a problem with that law why did they not amend the law before the deal. If one of the rich protesters did it. This would be okay, but if Thaksin does it. This is not okay.

Well here is my take on this

It has got nothing to do with us.

We can pontificate all we like but it won't make any difference to the outcome whatever it may be.

Up here of course he enjoys enormous support whatever he does and it appears that it is the same in Issan and many other large regions.

I think the Popular Newspapers want to see the back of him because he gives them a hard time... but my opinion is irrelevant as are all Farangs

because there is NOTHING you or I can do about anything

What will be will be...

Now lets get back to the Chang verses Cheers Beer debate . which one is worse?

Cheers or was that Chang?

TP

Lost legitimacy from who? It seems only for a small minority.

That minority form overwhelming majority among those with inclination, education, or even brainpower, to form an intellegent opinion.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone defending Shin sale who's not on Taksin's payroll, and even those are leaving him.

Rural voters have no clue about Shin sale. On Saturday, after Taksin's big rally, The Nation published a few interviews with Taksin supporters. All professed to having no knowledge about Shin sale details.

But that's, of course, the evil Nation... Feel free to scavenge through any other news outlet for any defence of Shin sale.

Who is the one who increased foreign ownership of the Telcom sector from 25 to 49? Mr Thaksin.

You forgot to mention that it was Mr. Taksin who DECREASED the ownership from 49 to 25% first, in 2001.

Setting up a commision has nothing to do with foreign ownership of the Telcom sector.

More nonsense. Though strictly speaking it might have little to do with foreign ownership per se, but it has ALL to do with opening telecom sector to foreigners - NTC issues licenses to all new operators. No NTC, no licenses, and without NBC there will be no 3G licenses. With senate elections due on April 19 there's no chance that NBC will even be formed this year, let along start working.

If you are distorting facts on purpose, let's say to defend Taksin no matter what, just say so. If you are genuinely ignorant of the issue - admit it.

Yeah, well the Singapore Company got increased foreign ownership from 25 to 49. This is called opening the Thai economy , which is very good for Thailand. The tax free money is allowed under Thai Law. If the protesters have a problem with that law why did they not amend the law before the deal. If one of the rich protesters did it. This would be okay, but if Thaksin does it. This is not okay.

Ummm when the One guy in the country with the power to do it pushes the law change through the parlaiment he personally controls to benefit his own family ... it is called abuse of power. No one else could have accomplished this. "why did they not ammed the law" ... hel_l; Thaksin could not even be censured by the opposition. Some of the protesters certainly are rich ... and none accused of this type of ruthless behaviour.

Those of you that are whining about the democratic process should take note .....

The people protesting have broken no law, they are playing by the rules. They are asking for redress from abuse from the only place that such redress is available. You may not like it but they know the rules and are playing by them in a very smart way!.

You can't have it both ways ... you can't say "Thaksin was elected and the other people should play by the rules." When in fact the other people ARE playing by the rules that are available to them to seek redress for this problem.

Those of you that are whining about the democratic process should take note .....

The people protesting have broken no law, they are playing by the rules. They are asking for redress from abuse from the only place that such redress is available. You may not like it but they know the rules and are playing by them in a very smart way!.

You can't have it both ways ... you can't say "Thaksin was elected and the other people should play by the rules." When in fact the other people ARE playing by the rules that are available to them to seek redress for this problem.

People have the right to protest.

If the opposition doesn't want to run in the election that's their right.

Unfortunately for them Thaksin has a strong grip on power and is not going to resign, and the opposition doesn't have many options but to try and win back enough seats to be able to make a difference.

Life is unfair and politics are unfair, rolling up in the fetus position and crying about it isn't a very constructive way of achieving your goals though, and I don't think the opposition's boycott is a very constructive way of dealing with the current situation :o

Thaksin condemns Thai opposition for tough poll boycott

by Anusak Konglang

ATTENTION - ADDS Thaksin quotes, opposition reax ///

BANGKOK, March 9, 2006 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra warned Thursday that the opposition boycott of snap polls

could lead to "mob rule" as election officials said the country was

entering uncharted political waters.

"Do we want to have mob rule supercede rule of law? On April 2,

you're not only electing a prime minister, but also showing the

power of democracy," Thaksin told supporters as he campaigned in the

eastern city of Chantaburi.

Thaksin called the snap elections in the hope of quelling the

weekly protests demanding his resignation.

But a boycott by leading opposition parties threatens to derail

the electoral process and plunge Thailand deeper into political

crisis.

"Absolutely I will not surrender or resign, and I am not

discouraged," Thaksin said.

Election officials said late Wednesday that candidates from

Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party were running unopposed in more than a

quarter of constituencies.

Seventeen virtually unknown parties are running against TRT.

But the leading opposition Democrat Party on Thursday asked

election officials to disqualify dozens of those candidates,

accusing Thaksin's party of trying to bend the rules by sponsoring

opponents to create the illusion of a competitive race.

"We are not sure whether TRT is running for election in some

districts with dignity or not," Democrat spokesman Ongart

Klampaiboon told AFP.

He said a last minute rush by small parties to register

candidates in dozens of constituencies had raised the party's

suspicions.

"That makes us wonder about their qualifications, or if they are

using tactics to avoid the election's requirements," he said.

The boycott raises the unprecedented threat that a new

parliament could be hamstrung in a tangle of by-elections because of

Thai laws requiring candidates to win a minimum number of votes.

"Under the election law, unchallenged candidates must gain votes

from more than 20 percent of the eligible voters in the district,"

said a legal official at the Election Commission.

"If he fails, re-elections must be organised until the candidate

gains more than 20 percent," she said on condition of anonymity.

The law had no limit on the number of by-elections that could be

held in a district, opening the possibility that Thailand could be

left in electoral limbo for months, she said.

The official said a new parliament could not convene until all

500 seats had been filled.

Fears that the election might only worsen Thailand's political

crisis have led to growing calls for negotiations.

The latest appeal for talks came from Privy Councillor Surayud

Chulanont, a close adviser to Thailand's revered King Bhumibol

Adulyadej.

"Everybody should consider that this is the right time for

talks, to find out how we can solve the problems. Peace is what will

benefit the country," Surayud Chulanont told reporters.

The heads of 75 Thai universities backed his call, and offered

to facilitate negotiations.

"We have helped set up a platform for them to talk with the

intention of getting the country back to peace," said Suchada

Kiranandana, president of respected Chulalongkorn University.

Those comments came just days after senior army and police

officials issued similar pleas for an end to the crisis.

Thaksin has faced weekly protests demanding his resignation from

a loose coalition of activists and academics who represent part of

Bangkok's middle class.

But the premier, who handily won elections in 2001 and 2005, is

believed to enjoy widespread support among rural Thais who have

benefitted from his populist policies.

Some 10,000 farmers were making a cross-country trek from

northern Thailand to Bangkok, to show their support for Thaksin as

his rivals plan a new overnight protest Monday, to be followed by a

march on Government House.

bur/gs/lod

AFP 090841 GMT MAR 06

You forgot to mention that it was Mr. Taksin who DECREASED the ownership from 49 to 25% first, in 2001.-

That was in 2001, which was over 5 years ago.

People do change.

More nonsense. Though strictly speaking it might have little to do with foreign ownership per se, but it has ALL to do with opening telecom sector to foreigners - We are taking about foreign ownership of the a business not issuing a license to operate a phone service.

NTC issues licenses to all new operators. No NTC, no licenses, and without NBC there will be no 3G licenses. With senate elections due on April 19 there's no chance that NBC will even be formed this year, let along start working.-Well, if that is the case how did that HK telcom company get a license to operate in Thailand.

If you are distorting facts on purpose, let's say to defend Taksin no matter what, just say so. If you are genuinely ignorant of the issue admit it. -No, I am not defending Thaksin. I am just enlightening your ignorant mind Mr Plus. I don't think they should oust Thaksin just because a portion of Thailand's population is zenophobic of the ideal of a foreign company owning 49 percent of a Thai Company, which he founded. Those idiots protested outside the Singaporean Embassy saying Thailand is for the Thais'. Is this real realistc? Wake up Mr. Plus.

Anti-Thaksin groups launch boycott over Temasek-Shin Corp deal

by Shino Yuasa

=(PICTURE)=

ATTENTION - RECASTS with protesters launching boycott ///

BANGKOK, March 9, 2006 (AFP) - Opponents of Thai Premier Thaksin

Shinawatra Thursday launched a wide-ranging boycott against local

and foreign brands, after Singapore refused to halt the takeover of

telecoms giant Shin Corp.

The protesters' main targets are firms linked to Shin Corp,

Thaskin, his family, friends and business colleagues, including

Thailand's biggest mobile phone operator Advanced Info Service

(AIS), discount carrier Air Asia, Internet provider CS Lox Info, and

iTV television station.

Anti-Thaksin groups have demanded the city-state take action to

stop Singapore's state-linked investment firm Temasek from acquiring

full control of Shin Corp, which was founded by Thaksin but

controlled by his family.

Thaksin's family made 1.9 billion dollars tax-free after selling

almost 50 percent of Shin Corp to Temasek, sparking public outrage

that has snowballed into mass weekly protests demanding his

resignation.

AIS alone controls over 50 percent of Thailand's mobile phone

market with more than 16 million subscribers.

And protesters also plan to boycott firms with links to Temasek,

which they said include banks Thai Danu Bank and UOB, the Hard Rock

Cafe franchise, Tiger Beer, Heineken, and Singapore Airlines.

Other companies on the boycott list, which the protesters say

have links to Thaksin's political supporters, include Toyota,

Nescafe and Seven-Eleven convenience stores.

The boycott came as Temasek's tender offer to buy all the

remaining Shin Corp shares expired Thursday. Temasek is offering

49.25 baht (1.26 dollars) each, up 12 percent from Thursday's market

close of 44.00 baht.

Temasek is expected to announce details of the offer on

Tuesday.

In addition to the 49.6 percent stake obtained from Thaksin's

family, retail investors holding about 16 percent stake in Shin Corp

had "agreed to accept Temasek's tender offer as of early March,"

according to a Temasek official.

Temasek's purchase also sparked concerns about foreign ownership

of a company that has key interests in telecoms, satellites, media

and aviation.

"The Shin Corp deal is very vital for Thailand because it

involves concessions, public services like airlines, and national

security," said Seree Aongsomwang, secretary of the Confederation of

Consumer Organisation Thailand.

"We want to show Singapore that they would not receive support

from the Thai public anymore. The Singapore government must make the

deal right," she said.

The consumer group has joined with protesters seeking to oust

Thaksin in organizing the boycott of almost 100 companies and

products.

Some 3,000 protesters picketed outside the Singapore embassy in

Bangkok early Thursday to press their demand for the city-state to

scrap the Temasek-Shin Corp deal.

But the embassy said it would not get involved.

"The Shin Corp-Temasek deal is a private sector deal, done

purely on a commercial basis. The Singapore government does not

interfere in the business and operations of Temasek Holdings," it

said in a statement.

"The Singapore government is not involved. Singapore companies

doing businesses in Thailand are required to observe the laws of

Thailand."

In a bid to end the political impasse, Thaskin dissolved

parliament and called snap elections on April 2. But the opposition

are boycotting the polls.

The premier, who handily won elections in 2001 and 2005, is

believed to enjoy widespread support among rural Thais who have

benefitted from his populist policies.

str-shi/gs/lh

AFP 091148 GMT MAR 06

Ummm when the One guy in the country with the power to do it pushes the law change through the parlaiment he personally controls to benefit his own family ... it is called abuse of power. No one else could have accomplished this. "why did they not ammed the law" ... hel_l; Thaksin could not even be censured by the opposition. Some of the protesters certainly are rich ... and none accused of this type of ruthless behaviour

Totally agree.

ZENOPHOBIC THAILAND?

Just a bit :o

I've been seeing reports that Thaksin's downfall is imminent, that the rally that will finally oust him is taking place, over and over again. :o

If you control the countryside contrlling the cities is not nessesary.

If the opposition to him was so great the rallies would not have to be organized, they'd be happening all over the country.

If he hadn't cut down on drinking hours many people here who are cheering on his imagined doom wouldn't even care.

Wake me up when he's actually out of office. I've seen too many false alarms. :D

cv