Getting A Supply Of 10 Baht Change For The Baht Buses ...

Jingthing

I have gotten more into this recently, gathering coins, as I'm taking more extensive baht bus trips lately. Bottom line the most reliable everyday tactics are making frequent smaller purchases at multiple places, and yes, somewhat neurotically, being aware of what the total is going to be, what bills you will offer, to maximize the coins you get. This is especially easy at Thai produce markets where you can quickly make five different transactions. Hey, at least I'm SPREADING my money around town!

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can actually just get small change from a bank. It will cost a small fee.

This is how shops get their supply of small change.

I'm not going to bother with that of course, but will admit to occasionally scoring a 10 baht pack of gum with a 20 baht note to give me correct bus change. (There, I admitted it. )

Can you tell me which bank does this? I often go around to different banks in pattaya looking to get what ever amount of change they have, none have offered this service to me and most don't have coins. I will gladly pay a fee if this is available at a certain bank as I use to do with the phone companies, it would save me loads of time.

On a related topic: Just say NO to satangs! If I get those in change, I regularly just leave them on the counter. If they make it home they go into a vase never to be touched. Multiply by how many millions?

Much as I don't love baht bus drivers, I've never paid a baht bus fare with any satangs. One baht coins ... sure.

Edited by Jingthing

I've noticed that coins help when travelling by the baht bus. On the other hand moto-drivers love notes. Its always 60 or 80 or 100. Baht buses have the convenience of accomodating all shapes & sizes but they have fixed routes. On the other hand motorbikes go all over although squeezing onto a motorbike can be a tight fit. Not that I'm complaining esp. if there's a 'Thai-hunk' (I use the word loosely) up front and I can feign motorbike-fear by wrapping my arms tightly round his midriff and resting my head contentedly on his shoulder. The moto journey does make your problem of 10 baht sound pedestrian. Point is there are alternatives to not having change.

Edited by Bokchoi

Just some parallel thinking ... why take the Baht Bus at all?

Why not walk?

One end of beach road to the other is a walk in the Park Beach.

Think of all that healthy exercise!

I'm not a tourist. Places to go on time. Much FURTHER distances. Carrying stuff. Yes I love to walk sometimes but Jomtien to Naklua is not very charming.

You can actually just get small change from a bank. It will cost a small fee.

This is how shops get their supply of small change.

I'm not going to bother with that of course, but will admit to occasionally scoring a 10 baht pack of gum with a 20 baht note to give me correct bus change. (There, I admitted it. )

Can you tell me which bank does this? I often go around to different banks in pattaya looking to get what ever amount of change they have, none have offered this service to me and most don't have coins. I will gladly pay a fee if this is available at a certain bank as I use to do with the phone companies, it would save me loads of time.

I don't know. Suggest to ask in the general forum, Some people must run shops and have to deal with this all the time.

I rediscovered the notorious "food court gambit" tonight. I've used it before but it's time for a revival.

Here's the deal. Select the food you want to buy, in my case tonight costing 75 baht.

Buy a ticket for 100 baht asking for 90 baht -- 10 baht change, Ka-ching.

Buy the food.

Refund the ticket -- 15 baht change

Total -- 25 small ones!

Ka-ching Ka-ching Ka-ching ... clap2.gif

When you go to a bank to get heaps of coins, mentally tally your shopping to source a 10 baht coin, becoming a liar at 7/11 just to get a 10 baht coin, I am sorry but this isn' normal behaviour.

Your "food court gambit" is now verging on the bizzare in terms of behaviour.

How can you expend so much energy thinking up these plans & implementing them just to get some small change from a retailer.

I am dumbfounded at this behaviour.

As I said previously, this is the most ridiculous topic ever on TV.

It is even more ridiculous that we should even comment on it.

And to think we all thought the Glitterman was strange, he suddenly appears very normal.......

And to think we all thought the Glitterman was strange, he suddenly appears very normal.......

wai.gif Thank you. wub.png

The food court gambit didn't really take much energy to come up with or implement. Just a replay of an old standard. I'll do what I need to do to keep myself in an adequate supply of coins, thank you very much.

Frankly, I think you do protest too much and seem to find amusement from reading about "abnormal" behavior here on the most ridiculous topic in the world.

Here's another one for your viewing pleasure.

OCCASIONALLY, (not on any schedule and really not frequently) I COUNT my supply of coins to see how I'm doing keeping an adequate supply. I've never had anywhere near as much as 500 baht in coins but once when the supply fell to about 50 baht that's the time I tried to ask my bank for coins, as previously described. The last time I counted, it was about 250 baht and that level works for me, but if you do the math, you'd realize that would quickly dwindle without a continuing "program" of replenishment tactics.

Did you enjoy? I certainly hope so.

Probably the main reason I don't count the coins often is that I can just look at the coins visually and have a fair idea of the supply. I keep the 10 baht coins in a separate can from the 5 and 1s (w00t.gif recklessly, I MIX the 5s and the 1s, you only live once!w00t.gif ). The cans are empty Chinese green tea containers, for those who appreciate DETAIL. (Any random satang coins end up somewhere else in a glass vase never to be touched, looked at, and certainly not counted again.)

It just occurred to me that it is kind of odd that I just don't THROW OUT the satang coins. Why I am putting them in the vase at all? I have no intention of ever touching them, really. I think it is a conditioned response from childhood that it is wrong to throw out any money, no matter how small. (My Dad probably slapped me once when he saw me throw coins in the trash, so naughty.) Sometimes when I'm out and I have some satangs from change that I just didn't leave on the counter, I will just leave me out in public, like on top of a phone booth, or in the side edge of trash can, or thrown into a decorative fountain. Never INTO the garbage can. Oh no. That wouldn't do.

Edited by Jingthing

Another thing you can try JT. The restrooms that charge entry sell their change, I get it from them when I am cannot find change from another source. They do charge a high service charge though, 5 to 10 percent as they know how much in demand coins are needed.

Wow! Paying that amount of juice just for coins, that seems wrong. Thanks for the tip for the desperate but even more motivation for me to keep up with my "abnormal" change games ... which do work.

Come to think of it there have been situations where I have been paying a premium to get coins. For example in a low cost casual restaurant where you only want to leave the coin change from the bill as a tip, for example getting back 17 baht in coins, sometimes I just leave a 20 baht note instead so I can keep the coins ...

On a related note, I am not religious, but for the religious, would God consider it a sin to lie when asked if you have one or two baht by retail clerks when they are trying to avoid giving you coins in change? I do lie and say no, and EVERY TIME they DO have the coins! So weren't they bluffing and weren't they playing their own change game too?

I generally don't like to lie but lying in certainly cases just seems to make more sense. The few times I have said, I have the coins but I NEED the change, got quite negative reactions. coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

It just occurred to me that it is kind of odd that I just don't THROW OUT the satang coins. Why I am putting them in the vase at all? I have no intention of ever touching them, really. I think it is a conditioned response from childhood that it is wrong to throw out any money, no matter how small. (My Dad probably slapped me once when he saw me throw coins in the trash, so naughty.) Sometimes when I'm out and I have some satangs from change that I just didn't leave on the counter, I will just leave me out in public, like on top of a phone booth, or in the side edge of trash can, or thrown into a decorative fountain. Never INTO the garbage can. Oh no. That wouldn't do.

Be careful about throwing out Thai coins. You might be arrested for disrespecting the king, whose face adorns those coins. ISTR that it's a sign of disrespect to crumple a Thai bank note.

Be careful about throwing out Thai coins. You might be arrested for disrespecting the king, whose face adorns those coins. ISTR that it's a sign of disrespect to crumple a Thai bank note.

Yes but I am not throwing them out. I am leaving them out for anyone who wants to have them. The throwing coins in the fountain thing, I think that's an international thing, I've seen plenty of coins in fountains here.

i dont use baht buses very often but i have been using them for a lot of years and ive never had a problem getting my change from the driver never.

Right as I DO use them often, really pretty much EVERY DAY, I can assure you over time the less interaction you have with the drivers, the better, and having exact change is one of a number of tactics to avoid any such interaction.

Best practice:

Do not talk to them.

Do not ask where they are going.

Do not make eye contact.

Try to stop a little AFTER your actual destination, so after paying, you can quickly walk AGAINST the direction of the traffic.

(In case they are trying for a higher fare than they should it will be too hard for them to do anything about it, much more common in HIGH SEASON.)

Put the coin in their hand as quickly as possible and remove your hand as quickly as possible.

If possible, avoid actually TOUCHING their hand. If you touch their hand, there is a higher chance they will grab onto your arm and forcibly hold it in the truck to try to violently extract a higher fare from you.

If you wave them down and try to talk to you, walk away, they won't be a bus for you.

Obviously I am talking about using the buses as BUSES. If you are seeking to use them as charters, obviously you need to talk to them.

You're welcome ...

Edited by Jingthing

Wow Jt,you really,really,REALLY have a dislike for the baht bus drivers don't you.!!!

Not sure how they could try to 'violently' try and extract more money from you on a 10 Baht bus route though.

I explained that already. Reread the post if you like.

I have never said all of them are violent but enough of them are, if you ride them all the time, it's best to be proactive in defense.

For casual users, tourists, etc. there is less reason to take all the precautions I do. Before these precautions I predictably had incidents with a driver periodically. Now it is very rare. My system WORKS.

Edited by Jingthing

I think I can shed some light on this topic. Where is all the lose change, it's in the bottom of every draw I own in ferang land. I must have several thousand baht in change kicking around waiting for my next trip.

As I run through the check list on the plane, did I put the cat out, turn the gas off, tell the wife I'm off. I remember my change mountain.

So 7000 baht x number of visitors to LOS = 84 billion baht if we club together we could buy Thailand.

• Like 1

A good way would be to check with a laundry shop who runs coin operated machines (10 baht) or maybe the guys who empty the self-service water machines, they must have tons of coins on their hands

• Like 1

I think that I have been in the sun too long....I have spent 5 precious minutes reading this thread....

Time to get into the garden I think

My problem always seems to be getting rid of one baht coins......those I sellotape together in 10 bahts....and am still embarassed trying to spend them

"That cofirms it" now I have wasted more time by replyingbah.gif

Baht bus drivers accept LOOSE one baht coins, at least I assume so because I use them frequently, of course never looking them in the face, although I have heard some freak out noises a few times but I'm well out of there anyway in no time. Generally I don't hand over ten loose, but rather a five plus some ones and let's not forget the wonderful TWO baht coins. I feel remiss not mentioning the TWO baht coins until now. A wonderful denomination they are indeed. The two baht coins go along with the ones of fives in my green tea can. Life is good.

Edited by Jingthing

Try taping 9 1 Baht coins together. Pay your fare with that. Will never be counted. That'll give you a 10% discount every time.

This way you can be 1 up on the drivers you so dislike. cheesy.gif

And always have a spare 1 Baht coin in your pocket incase you are rumbled and the hit-the-fan.gif

Give a B20 note to the Baht bus and wait for the change?

Do you do that regularly? That would be my last resort but yes that's the best option if you don't have change. I kind of feel you didn't get the gist of the OP to even ask that question though.

Works every time for me, never had the guy drive off. Just buy a motorbike.