Getting A Supply Of 10 Baht Change For The Baht Buses ...

Jingthing

Happily, Thailand isn't one of those dysfunctional countries where it's very difficult to get small bills and coins in change.

You can go into any 7-11 and pay for a small item with 1000 baht most anywhere.

However, riding around in the baht buses, it is really useful to have the exact 10 baht change for the fares, and for those who use the buses a lot, one RT excursion can easily involve 40 to 50 baht.

Even for simpler 20-30 baht RT excursions, doing that everyday adds up to A LOT of change.

Of course you can offer paper money and ask for change but it slows down the buses and you have to actually talk to the drivers, not to mention the real risk they will just take the extra money and accelerate.

So giving exact change is always the best thing to do, for yourself and for the passengers waiting.

Here's the rub.

It isn't always so easy to obtain a good supply of change.

I had thought banks would be the solution. One time I went into my bank where I keep LOTS of money and simply asked for 500 baht change in 10 baht coins. They couldn't/wouldn't do it! Instead they only offered me 200 baht in change. I found that a little weird so wonder if other people have tried getting change from their banks.

So what I end up doing is playing games with purchases to try to get as much change as possible. See some bananas at 25 a bunch? Great. That's 15 baht back from 40. I have resorted to doing math in my head at markets to try to get to a total that gets the most change. See an item for 60 baht? Give them a 50 and a 20, get back 10. The clerk asks do you have ONE baht (so they don't have to give coin change)? Sorry, I lie. A few times I've said I need the change but it's just easier to lie.

Yes I've thought of asking for change from baht bus drivers, clearly the sweet spot for piles of 10 baht coins, but I don't like to talk to ... baht bus drivers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give a B20 note to the Baht bus and wait for the change?

Do you do that regularly? That would be my last resort but yes that's the best option if you don't have change. I kind of feel you didn't get the gist of the OP to even ask that question though.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Man, you really to get a life if that is all you have to worry about.

With the baht bus, put your hand in the window with a 20 baht, leave it in there & he will put 10 baht in your hand, a 3-4 second transaction.

The drivers have piles if 10 baht coins in the console so don't let that worry you....ok

I may be a little harsh but I think this is one of the most ridiculous topics ever on TV.

I don't agree. How does the driver always know how many people you are paying for? What about fares where the drivers try to get 20 when you know the fare is 10; if you give them 20 they will NOT give change.

I do wonder after reading your comment if you are a REGULAR user of the Pattaya baht bus system.

Also, where did you get the idea this is the "only" thing I "worry" about or even if this is a big "worry" for me just because I posted about it? (Hint: it isn't because I have solved it pretty well with my change games as described.)

I did post wondering if other people have tips and tricks on how to hoard more change.

Edited by Jingthing

With the baht bus, put your hand in the window with a 20 baht, leave it in there & he will put 10 baht in your hand, a 3-4 second transaction.

The drivers have piles if 10 baht coins in the console so don't let that worry you....ok

I may be a little harsh but I think this is one of the most ridiculous topics ever on TV.

I disagree I often wake up in the night worrying if I have the correct change for my songthaew ride into Phetchabun the following day,I'm feeling the OP's pain.

• Like 1

I don't agree. How does the driver always know how many people you are paying for? What about fares where the drivers try to get 20 when you know the fare is 10; if you give them 20 they will NOT give change.

I do wonder after reading your comment if you are a REGULAR user of the Pattaya baht bus system.

Also, where did you get the idea this is the "only" thing I "worry" about or even if this is a big "worry" for me just because I posted about it? (Hint: it isn't because I have solved it pretty well with my change games as described.)

I did post wondering if other people have tips and tricks on how to hoard more change.

The drivers are very good at their job,I am sure they have a great memory & can read public behaviour regarding change.

ie. A hand left in the cab requires change

When you go to a bank to get heaps of coins, mentally tally your shopping to source a 10 baht coin, becoming a lair at 7/11 just to get a 10 baht coin, I am sorry but this isn' normal behaviour.

I am not going on about this anymore but it really isn't normal.

• Like 2

The drivers are very good at their job,I am sure they have a great memory & can read public behaviour regarding change.

ie. A hand left in the cab requires change

When you go to a bank to get heaps of coins, mentally tally your shopping to source a 10 baht coin, becoming a lair at 7/11 just to get a 10 baht coin, I am sorry but this isn' normal behaviour.

I am not going on about this anymore but it really isn't normal.

I am sorry you don't think I am normal, not the first time I've heard that, and really of no concern to me. Being thought "normal" from strangers on the internet doesn't happen to be one of my life goals.

What I do know from bitter experience is even when you don't need change quite often the drivers are hitting the gas pedal as soon as money hits flesh and that if you're not careful you can be seriously injured that way (hand/arm hitting against the truck at a high speed). That is why I not only suggest that REGULAR BAHT BUS USERS (BTW, are you one?) offer exact change but take care to leave their hand inside the window for the shortest possible time.

Even with my awareness and precautions about VERY QUICK hand movements to get my hand out of the path of truck as quickly as possible, sometimes I STILL have gotten hit by the truck. I think REGULAR BAHT BUS USERS would be well aware of the reckless and greedy behavior of many of the drivers.

Edited by Jingthing

Given yesterday's thread there is now at least one less restaurant you can dine at, I'm guessing thats also one less business you can get a 10 baht coin from in the change... ...hence the need for this topic?

That's a bit irrational. Still gotta eat somewhere! Also, I "can" eat at that place, the question is whether I want to risk eating McJobssick.gif ...

Edited by Jingthing

Maybe you should get friendly with a lady who runs one of those coin-op laundry places? The machines all work on 10 Baht coins, so at the end of the day she must have a stack and would probably be happy to exchange them for paper money.

• Like 2

Given yesterday's thread there is now at least one less restaurant you can dine at, I'm guessing thats also one less business you can get a 10 baht coin from in the change... ...hence the need for this topic?

That's a bit irrational. Still gotta eat somewhere! Also, I "can" eat at that place, the question is whether I want to risk eating McJobssick.gif ...

Question is more how do you get to another restaurant if you are so afraid using baht busses with cheating drivers trying to kill you...

When in Pattaya, I use baht rides 6-10 times a day from and to various locations... never had problem paying with 20 Baht notes... never had a bus driving away at "high speed" (what ever that would be with those cars...)... never had a driver not knowing that I was alone on the car (and also always knowing if I was not alone)... 100 Baht notes they don't like, that I am aware of...

JT, next time you take the baht bus, hand over 100 and ask for the change in tens. Voila - you've got your tens for the next nine times you ride a baht bus.

When I'm running low on coins in my till, I duck over to the coin-op carwash across the road and change notes for coins in the machine (then run like hell before the owner notices I don't even have a car with me)

I rediscovered the notorious "food court gambit" tonight. I've used it before but it's time for a revival.

Here's the deal. Select the food you want to buy, in my case tonight costing 75 baht.

Buy a ticket for 100 baht asking for 90 baht -- 10 baht change, Ka-ching.

Buy the food.

Refund the ticket -- 15 baht change

Total -- 25 small ones!

Ka-ching Ka-ching Ka-ching ... clap2.gif

Well, I've been using baht buses and motorcy taxis in Pattaya for 11 years. Concern about always having a good supply of 10's and 20's is just part of the drill. I never thought about the washing machine places... I'll give that idea a try.

I sometimes have motorbike taxis speed off with out giving proper change back. However, I don't remember ever having that happen with a baht bus. When I must give a twenty I extend my limb with the 20 into the cab and the second the driver touches the 20 my hand turns palm up and stays there until 10 baht is placed in my palm... never a problem.

The prices charged by the motorbike taxis has doubled in the past 5 or 6 years. I think that is reasonable

It has been about 10 years since the baht buses went from 5 to 10 baht. I think it is time for them to increase rates. Should it go up to 15 or 20 baht? 20 baht seems more manageable for me, but too much for the Thai folks. In a perfect world the Thai should pay less, IMHO.

• Like 1

Hi JT

Is it only the Baht bus drivers that you prefer not to talk with?

I would imagine that motorbike taxi drivers,toilet attendants and probably even 7-11/Family Mart workers would only be too please to help you out with your change.

Hi JT

I would imagine that motorbike taxi drivers,toilet attendants and probably even 7-11/Family Mart workers would only be too please to help you out with your change.

I find Family Mart/7-11 people are often playing the reverse change game, do you have 2 baht, so I wouldn't bother them. Toilet attendants? Interesting.

Hi JT

I find Family Mart/7-11 people are often playing the reverse change game, do you have 2 baht, so I wouldn't bother them. Toilet attendants? Interesting.

Maybe say to them that you have a weak bladder and need plenty of change....would love to see their faces when you hand over a 1000 Baht note whistling.gif

Today, I handed over a 20 Baht note to the Baht Bus driver. I, like many others have stated here, extend my arm into the drivers compartment. Infact I work my shoulder in under the window frame, so as to make my "arm" presence known. I will also add that I have an extremely long right arm. With my arm fully extended, my hand actually protrubes out through the drivers-side window. Having had my 20 Baht extracted from my sweaty palm, I waited for the long-relished 10 Baht coin. I noticed while excitedly waiting, that a farang had walked around the drivers-side of the Baht Bus to pay his fare. And guess what happened? He sunk a 50 Baht note in my eager palm. I retracted my arm and shoulder "pronto", said to the driver that was rummaging for a 10 Baht coin, keep the change, and slunk off rapido. Was a good feeling making 30 Baht, though sadly I didn't walk away with 10 baht coin.

• Like 1

I often need 5 and 10 baht coins for my business and it is a challenge to get. The Banks don't supply it, when they have they like to get rid of it, so they don't hold it for themselves. 2 weeks ago i sent sent a staff to every bank in the central festival,about 10 sub branches there, none had any. When they do have they are happy to give it as long as you take all of it in so they don't have to break up the bag. If 1,000 is in it they don't like to give just 3 or 4 hundred of it.

I use to get it from the phone companies when there were more pay phones around and I would happily pay their fee of 30 baht for every thousand they gave me. 7-11 and big c and tesco would get it from them too.

I once knew a pool bar owner that had the 10 baht coin tables he told me would go to mint in BKK once a month to get 30 to 40K in coins a month. As this is the only reliable source in Thailand.

So JT there is no conspiracy about the coins being kept back. I miss the 10 baht notes though, they were great for tipping the gogo girls.

Best way to find coins now i find is asking thia's if they have any from home they want to exchange for cash.

• Like 1

I wasn't suggesting it's a conspiracy. It's interesting and not surprising to me that retail businesses are willing to pay a premium for a high volume of coins. Often I'm amazed at how how 7-11s do it as every Somchai, Fritz, and Igor uses them to change 1000 baht notes for a can of soda for smaller bills. Overall, I'm grateful that Thailand isn't one of those difficult countries with severe small note and change shortages. I just happen to want A LOT of coins.

Edited by Jingthing

JT ... you need to go to this guy ... he has heaps.

BTW ... if you like fine photography, please do click on the link above ... amazing how some people are able to capture the moment ... it's a real 'money shot' ... laugh.png

Oh ... yep ... all the puns were intended ... biggrin.png

EDIT:- last photo in the OP

Edited by David48

One of my first "culture shock" lessons many years ago was when I went to a bank to get a roll of B10 coins. A *roll*??? That was the first barrier. My teller -- in a major branch of a big bank in Bangkok -- went to all the tellers collecting their B10 coins and I think I got about B150.

I likened it to the then policy of Japan ATMs to only be open during banking hours.

Not in Kansas anymore, indeed.

You can actually just get small change from a bank. It will cost a small fee.

This is how shops get their supply of small change.

I'm not going to bother with that of course, but will admit to occasionally scoring a 10 baht pack of gum with a 20 baht note to give me correct bus change. (There, I admitted it. )