Would You Live Near Overhead Power Lines?

ProdigalSon

I'm looking around at houses and one of them is situated within 100 meters of overhead power lines - the large overhead ones running between huge pylons that you get out of town. I've done a lot of reading on the Internet as to their dangers and the information seems to be inconclusive.

I'm interested to hear what you TVers think - would you live near them?

You can believe this or not, but I swear it's true.

1984 Glastonbury festival. Just walikng through the camping ground when a guy grabbed my arm and said "Can you feel it" At first I just thought he was a bit of a loony. And then I did feel something, the hair on my head feeling like it was standing up. Directly above me were big power lines running between pylons. It was when I stood directly under the top most middle power line that I felt it, if I stepped to either side by only a couple of feet the feeling dissapeared, only ro return when I again moved to be directly under the top middle line.

I told the guy that yes I could feel it, he was overjoyed as he must have wondered if he was going crazy.

So I wouldn't want to live directly under one but I have no idea how far the effects go for.

What size lines are we talking about?

11,000 V these probably run down your street

33.000V these could run down your street

110,000V

275,000V ... the really big suckers on the top of the big pylons.

What is the proximity of the home (the place where you spend most of your contact time) and the lines?

As a rough guide for how close is to close, set the cars radio to the Am band (if it has it) ... the radio will tell you when you are too close.

I used to work for the Power Transmission company and later sold broad acreage land.

• Like 1

@David - it's the really big power lines that run across the huge pylons that you see in the countryside (the housing development in question is about 15 kilometers outside Chiang Mai). The house is within 100 meters of the lines (but the nearest pylon is about 300 meters away).

@David - it's the really big power lines that run across the huge pylons that you see in the countryside (the housing development in question is about 15 kilometers outside Chiang Mai). The house is within 100 meters of the lines (but the nearest pylon is about 300 meters away).

A hundred metres is quite some distance ... assuming that it's 100 metres for the outer most line.

Try the AM radio test for sure ... would be surprised just how effective it is ... just like a geiger counter.

In my country, often, when the have a 'corridor' they run a second line if there is enough room.

So, if it's vacant land between you and the transmission line ... do some research into the land.

If it has significant infrastructure or building built there ... then rest easy ... it would be to difficult to resume the lad with the buildings on them ... particularly if they newish.

Hope that helps.

It "might" depreciate the value of your property if only from rumored affects, or because they are ugly. As far as harming you physically, not likely.

David is right, they can interfere with AM radios, because the frequency they put out is in the same range as AM radio. They won't affect cell phones or wifi internet due to different frequency ranges. I have never found a study that says they hurt you.

Thanks David. The land between the house and the lines is all garden land - the garden behind the house an then communal gardens. There are no other structures between the house and the lines. The distance is somewhere between 50 and 100 meters from where the nearest room in the house is to the outer line.

If it is a nice house and the other view is OK, it wouldn't worry me. Most people don't look up anyway! Might be fun though to walk under them at night holding one end of a fluorescent tube!

No way known they will make you sick if you have ever had a head injury or brain tumor etc.Same with mobile phones

You know ... I have an open mind on that which you mention ...

As a generalisation ... if you believe that the Mobile Phone will cause an eventual brain tumour ... then you will probably assume the same about the electrical lines.

If you believe that the mobile theory is a load of hogwash ... ditto the Power Transmission Lines.

Having worked in the trade ... I genuinely have an open mind on the question.

Now ... I also have a property background ... so the answer to your property question would be ...

If the property is 2nd hand ... not buying from the developer ... then usually the price will be lower due to it's proximity to the power lines ... the discount is already factored in.

If however ... you are buying from the developer and the ones visually closer to the power lines are priced as the ones further away ... don't buy the one close to the power line as it will be less attractive on the re-sale.

Hope that helps.

I wouldn't farm Giraffes there. For humans no short/medium term effect but hard to say if there is a long term effect.

I once saw that trees grows shorter under the lines. But maybe the cut the trees there when installing the cables and the trees below were just younger.