Marraige(Pros And Cons)

chiangrai

Contact Hull and check with them, they might want to see an English translation but not a certified translation.

steps 1 to 4 are on the mark.

Only the original document will be accepted for a marriage visa so a Thai wedding Thai Cert, UK wedding UK cert along with her ID card or passport and House book with her name shown Matching the wedding cert, the house book, ID card / passport will have to be changed to match the wedding cert if she takes your sir name.

Edited by Keith67

Another question,

We have decided to get married in Bangkok.

The Irish embassy website says about the affidavit that...

ALL THAI REGISTRARS WILL REQUIRE AUTHENTICATION OF THE IRISH CONSULATES SIGNATURE

AND CERTIFICATION OF THE THAI TRANSLATION.

THIS MUST BE OBTAINED FROM.

THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

123 CHAENG WATTANNA ROAD,

LAKSI..

Is this true,if so the procedure is 1 get the affidavit

2 get it translated

3 get authentication as above

4 get married at the amphue

5.get the marriage certificate translated into English

6 authenticated as above

so it can be used for visa applications(in Hull)

I hope I'm wrong

>Contact Hull and check with them, they might want to see an English translation but not a certified translation.

4 years ago when i got married i did the steps 1-4 as shown, went and registered the marriage in Bangkok and that is a legal marriage in Thailand but not the UK, for it to be legal in the UK, i would then have to go back to the embassy / consulate and register the marriage with them, if this was the case for ireland too as long as you didn't register the marriage with the Irish embassy / consulate afterwards in Ireland it would still not be a legal marriage so no right's to any property, land or finances.

registered in the UK or not, it is still a legal marriage and recognized as such. The only thing registering the marriage does is making the UK government aware of the marriage and it makes it possible to get evidence of the marriage from the registrar in the UK.

Without out that, the marriage is still legal, but needs to be proven by legalization of the marriage certificate by the UK-embassy.

Another question,

We have decided to get married in Bangkok.

The Irish embassy website says about the affidavit that...

ALL THAI REGISTRARS WILL REQUIRE AUTHENTICATION OF THE IRISH CONSULATES SIGNATURE

AND CERTIFICATION OF THE THAI TRANSLATION.

THIS MUST BE OBTAINED FROM.

THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

123 CHAENG WATTANNA ROAD,

LAKSI..

Is this true,if so the procedure is 1 get the affidavit

2 get it translated

3 get authentication as above

4 get married at the amphue

5.get the marriage certificate translated into English

6 authenticated as above

so it can be used for visa applications(in Hull)

I hope I'm wrong

>>Contact Hull and check with them, they might want to see an English translation but not a certified translation.

lockquote>

4 years ago when i got married i did the steps 1-4 as shown, went and registered the marriage in Bangkok and that is a legal marriage in Thailand but not the UK, for it to be legal in the UK, i would then have to go back to the embassy / consulate and register the marriage with them, if this was the case for ireland too as long as you didn't register the marriage with the Irish embassy / consulate afterwards in Ireland it would still not be a legal marriage so no right's to any property, land or finances.

registered in the UK or not, it is still a legal marriage and recognized as such. The only thing registering the marriage does is making the UK government aware of the marriage and it makes it possible to get evidence of the marriage from the registrar in the UK.

Without out that, the marriage is still legal, but needs to be proven by legalization of the marriage certificate by the UK-embassy.

Maybe i worded my reply incorrectly.

Recognised in what respect?

It was clearly stated to me that without registration she would be afforded no legal rights within the UK law.

Stated by who and in what sense.

No legal rights in the UK, I would take that with a very large pinch of salt.

Staff in the consulate in Bangkok, i asked what gains were to be made from registration and they told me without it she would have no legal rights in the UK.

If in the future (say 1 year from now) when things go sideways and you separate and you decide to go back to the UK and in a couple of years meet a nice young lass and decide to get married and raise some kids. And then if appears that you are still married. Try getting your ex Thai wife to sign off on your marriage may be more difficult that you think (maybe even more costly).

Then perhaps you are thinking after it goes sideways (say in a year from now) and you ask your new bride to sign off on your marriage as you may one day move back to the UK and meet and fall involve love with a pretty young thing there and want to start a family. You may find having your Thai wife sign off on your marriage while you are here in Thailand difficult and more costly.

Although alimony in Thailand is not forced (like in the west) a spouse may apply for support through the courts. It is never a guarantee but the courts do look at various reasons to enforce it. The longer you are married, what the spouse may have given up to be married (ie a good paying job), if children are involved, if there was physical violence during the marriage etc. If the spouse is deemed to experience financial hardship as a result of a divorce courts may enforce a financial (support) payment.

I'm thinking of getting married.......just to get a marriage visa.........I've been living with my TGF for 5 years and we get on great......getting married would make no difference at all........it' s like we already are married.

I am friends with a couple that has been living together for 10 years. Lovely people and you never hear a harsh word between them. They also decided to get married as they had been together for so long. Long story short, after less that 1 year of marriage, they have now split and are in the process of a messy divorce and hate each other with a passion. True story. Be careful what you wish for.

I'm thinking of getting married.......just to get a marriage visa.........I've been living with my TGF for 5 years and we get on great......getting married would make no difference at all........it' s like we already are married.

I am friends with a couple that has been living together for 10 years. Lovely people and you never hear a harsh word between them. They also decided to get married as they had been together for so long. Long story short, after less that 1 year of marriage, they have now split and are in the process of a messy divorce and hate each other with a passion. True story. Be careful what you wish for.

Don't want to burst your bubble but l was with and married for 25 years with my ex. The last year was very different to the end. Time is NOT a factor. Could be one year or fifty years, we ALL change. We ALL change. sad.png

• Like 1

Yes,

Thanks for all the advice,there is no cut and dried answer,everyone has so many variables.

I'm in Bangkok,I have an appointment with my consulate tomorrow to get my affidavit.

Then I will take the plunge,for better or for worse.

If I'm wrong I won't be the first or the last man to be so,and it won't make or brake me which ever way it goes.I could argue the pro's and con's forever and never come up with an answer.

It feels right and I'm going to go for it,and what will be will be.

Thanks to all who helped