Marraige(Pros And Cons)

chiangrai

I'm thinking of getting married.......just to get a marriage visa.........I've been living with my TGF for 5 years and we get on great......getting married would make no difference at all........it' s like we already are married.

But how does it work out in the eyes of the law.I have no house,no car and very little money but I probably will inherit some some day.I know all about buying property and how to protect yourself.

Is it simplistic to think that she can't ever chase me for alimony if she doesn't have the money to drag me through the courts.

What disadvantages are there to getting married,how might I regret it in the future

Remember you might have to get a visa from outside of Thailand, as if you wanted an extension within Thailand you must show an income of 40000baht per month or savings of 400000baht. Maybe better to not get married and keep on tourist visas.

Remember if you get married the family might expect Sinsod, and you might not get it all back, plus you pay for the party.

There would be no Sin Sot and no party.......just a visit to the amphue.

I am getting her a visitors visa to Ireland for one month,Is that wise.

The visa I want is from Savannakhet because they are said to not need prof of income.

This could change,that's one downside I am aware of.

But before we get transferred to the visa forum..........are there any downsides to getting married as long as I don't let her establish any rights in Ireland(my home country)

Not exactly,

It's not a sham marriage because we are as if married already.

The question is what could she do if it all went sour

one day

I'm fine with the personal side of it.I'm fine with the visa side of it.It's the legal side of it I need advice on.

Sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it.

Nothing wrong with covering your ass, however,

I'm fine with the personal side of it.I'm fine with the visa side of it.It's the legal side of it I need advice on.

Why the heck shouldnt the woman have some protection?

Does the woman work and have her own income, or is she your personal servant that you pay to be with you every month?

She has rights to whatever you have in Ireland, as you are legally married by Thai and Irish law so be careful not to let her mix with any Thais in Ireland as they might give her a few hints about what she can get from you.

Attitudes change after tying the knot. Perhaps not on your part, but perhaps by your partner.

I know a couple that had been living together for 11 years and decided to get married as they were both happy in the relationship. Six months later they were divorced and hated each other.

Does a marriage-based extension terminate immediately upon divorce, or is the foreigner good to stay through the end of his extension? If the former, how does immigration know that a divorce has occurred?

You should leave when the divorce is official, upon applying for an extension again it would be noticed and you would be found out. Also without things from your wife you would also not be able to get a Visa based on marriage from the neighbouring countries or your home country.

But what if I don't reapply for another marriage extension? Suppose I start working and switch over to work visa! Then I'd not be required to show any paperwork validating my [non-existent] marriage.

Edited by attrayant

But what if I don't reapply for another marriage extension? Suppose I start working and switch over to work visa! Then I'd not be required to show any paperwork validating my [non-existent] marriage.

Yes you could do that as there is no communication from Amphurs to Immigration, but again you lose your job you lose your permission to stay. It is also not called a work visa, there is no such thing, it is an extension based on employment.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit worried getting married as I have been married before and have assets I want to protect from Condo to stock and bonds things I accumulated before meeting her. I found a good law firm in Bangkok and used two American Lawyers (I'm from California) and did an 18 page pre-nup. Then the law states I had to hire a lawyer for her and have the pre-nup translated and he needed to understand the whole thing. At least I can sleep better at night now.

Never forget that a prenup is also a perfect way to protect her assets, especially if you run a business it is a consideration. An uncle of a friend is bankrupt and drives a Ferrari owned by his wife. Because they had a prenup her possessions can not be touched for his debts.

There are still people writing in and insulting my relationship my fiancee.

I have never met a Thai/Farang couple who have more love and understanding.

We are the same age,she speaks English,I speak Thai,

We teach English together on out grass thatched porch

she is poor,i am poor..............do you want me to write a <deleted> poem about her or what..........

Thanks to everybody who gave simple advice to my simple question.

How much is a pre-nup,I barely have enough money to go to Bangkok to get married.

• Like 2

Another question,

We have decided to get married in Bangkok.

The Irish embassy website says about the affidavit that...

ALL THAI REGISTRARS WILL REQUIRE AUTHENTICATION OF THE IRISH CONSULATES SIGNATURE

AND CERTIFICATION OF THE THAI TRANSLATION.

THIS MUST BE OBTAINED FROM.

THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

123 CHAENG WATTANNA ROAD,

LAKSI..

Is this true,if so the procedure is 1 get the affidavit

2 get it translated

3 get authentication as above

4 get married at the amphue

5.get the marriage certificate translated into English

6 authenticated as above

so it can be used for visa applications(in Hull)

I hope I'm wrong

There are still people writing in and insulting my relationship my fiancee.

I have never met a Thai/Farang couple who have more love and understanding.

We are the same age,she speaks English,I speak Thai,

We teach English together on out grass thatched porch

she is poor,i am poor..............do you want me to write a <deleted> poem about her or what..........

Thanks to everybody who gave simple advice to my simple question.

How much is a pre-nup,I barely have enough money to go to Bangkok to get married.

Relax For a poor S**t like it is okay to get married

Good Lucky

• 3 weeks later...

Another question,

We have decided to get married in Bangkok.

The Irish embassy website says about the affidavit that...

ALL THAI REGISTRARS WILL REQUIRE AUTHENTICATION OF THE IRISH CONSULATES SIGNATURE

AND CERTIFICATION OF THE THAI TRANSLATION.

THIS MUST BE OBTAINED FROM.

THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

123 CHAENG WATTANNA ROAD,

LAKSI..

Is this true,if so the procedure is 1 get the affidavit

2 get it translated

3 get authentication as above

4 get married at the amphue

5.get the marriage certificate translated into English

6 authenticated as above

so it can be used for visa applications(in Hull)

I hope I'm wrong

Contact Hull and check with them, they might want to see an English translation but not a certified translation.

steps 1 to 4 are on the mark.

4 years ago when i got married i did the steps 1-4 as shown, went and registered the marriage in Bangkok and that is a legal marriage in Thailand but not the UK, for it to be legal in the UK, i would then have to go back to the embassy / consulate and register the marriage with them, if this was the case for ireland too as long as you didn't register the marriage with the Irish embassy / consulate afterwards in Ireland it would still not be a legal marriage so no right's to any property, land or finances.