Survival Skills For The Pedal Biker

puukao

15. Don't assume those bike lanes and traffic laws mean something, like they do in your home country. Bicycle riding in traffic is new in Thailand and is quite dangerous. DiamondKing gives the best advice in post #3 above.

Edited by mesquite

I pick my routes like a surgeon using google earth and experimentation to avoid the traffic and high speed differentials.

Then I use my mad skills to use sidewalks, dirt paths etc to stay off the roads until out in the mountains and rural areas.

Have forgone the road biking for cross/mtb only.

And finally I liberally pray to avoid becoming roadkill

Good list BTW. I learned a few things thanks!!!!

• Like 1

this is a local 'character' I see often, many kms from home and he battles along highways, it is very unstable in even light winds but he keeps pedaling along.

In terms of being 'visible' I think he's succeeded

But not for everyone!

localman_zps3f18c04e.jpg

• Like 1

Those were all good suggestions, Puukao. Thanks. They are just as true for riding a motorbike. Your suggestion about watching the tires is a good one. I do that all the time. But, I actually think a motorbike is safer in Thaiand because of the mirrors and ability to stay AHEAD of the traffic. You've got to be 100% aware at ALL times and never take anything for granted. I have survived by EXPECTING something to be NOT where it should be.

JUST DON'T DO IT thumbsup.gif

There is a risk of accident walking or driving. So don't do it!! A risk of dengue fever from mosquito, so don't go outside. Risk of AIDS, so none of that. Risk of dying of food poisoning, so don't eat. Risk of eating plastic from the vegetables and fruits, so don't eat those. Risk of bad lungs from pollution, don't go outside. Risk of everything....

it's all about risk/reward and risk analysis.

I don't want to play russian roulette or dress up like a deer for a nature walk during hunting season :-)

Getting hit by a 2000 kilo vehicle while cycling is about as serious as being shot at with an assault rifle.. It's a serious risk.

Cycling in Thailand is definitely not for everybody.

Exactly. Life would be pretty boring without a few risks. Just living in Thailand is a risk. Why live a boring life?

That is a great photo, CycloneJ. I may just borrow it to show friends back in Canada. Seeing things like that is what riding is all about. Sitting around your hotel swimming pool, or in front of a computer screen is something you could do anywhere in the world.

^ thanks

something i didn't notice at the time is that appears to be an Air New Zealand logo off the back of his bike. Don't know where he'd have got that from if it is.

He always has perfectly clean and ironed shorts/white shirt - similar to school uniform ones but he must be 40+. No lycra!

I wave and he smiles back - I think taking a hand off the bars may affect his stability too much.

Just a few more "suggestions" that might help, or be totally worthless. probably the latter.

If you are afraid the car might try to cross the road and you really don't want to cut it close, shake your head NO. I've done this 20+ times and nobody seems offended.....you can smile at the same time, but they may not see that part. I just want them to know that I am going faster than they think.

if the road is bumpy, use your arms and legs as suspension. keep your pedals even on both sides, bend your elbows, and lift off the seat if you can....this will absorb the road bumps. much better than locking up the brakes and losing traction as soon as you feel the road changing beneath you.

too many things happen here too fast....so never stare at the front tire. chin up, so head will be up.....if neck hurts, raise handlebar. if knees hurt, raise seat. if hamstrings hurt, lower seat. if upper back hurts, move seat forward or raise handlebars. if private parts hurt, point seat down just a little.....

this one is tough, but I have done it.....If you just have a gut feeling that things seem too dangerous because of traffic, heat, bikes, etc.....pull over in the shade and relax for 10 minutes. you are not racing.....

when going downhill, don't be afraid to look behind you often. I do it a million times, since cars here are not afraid to pass in the corners. IF a car unexpectedly approaches you and you feel unsafe going downhill, I put out my right hand as if to slow down.....I've done this about 5-10 times and every time the car allows me room and time. I then wave every single time after I am through the turn and he passes. we are talking about 5-10 seconds i'm delaying him....but for me it's much more dangerous if he cuts the corner in half and I can't grab both brakes.

also when descending.....don't be afraid to put a lot of weight on the front handlebar. as noted, front tire is way more important than back.

ok, last ramble.....water is cheap, so don't worry about dumping some on your head, back of neck, and chest during the ride. the better your core temperature is.....the better you will ride.

Riding a bicycle in the city is not safe, friend of mind got hit twice. Even though you are not doing anything wrong someone else will hit you, car or motor cycles

I do agree that a bike is not safe in the city. But for some, it's the cheapest and most efficient mode of transportation. For others, they simply love to ride and can't stand paying all the time for a tuk-tuk, or walking. The variables are endless on "why" people choose to ride. I do think some underestimate the risks of cycling. they have no idea they are riding in the road and cars are honking at them. or they ride 2-3 abreast and expect the city to close down while they look around, going 5 mph. lol. there are good drivers, and bad drivers. good bikers, and bad bikers.

I think it is much more dangerous to bike with others, than alone. I read about someone getting killed because they biked in the road to get a piece of clothing that fell off the rider in front of them. and I feel responsible for the rider i'm with, so i'm always riding differently and looking back and talking to them. a friend of mine swerved into the road after grabbing his water bottle and was almost crushed by a truck....he just isn't conditioned to keep the bike straight and be focused when grabbing for water. it scared him, and it should. one mistake, game over. like driving, but with less protection.

even top-pros can have 100 accidents.....sure, most are because they are racing with others, but i'm sure many others are not.

if you bike, you will likely have an accident. it's part of the game. but there are few things in life that only have positives. even working and marriage can have bad days. haha.

be safe out there.

It's a good thing all the guest houses have bikes for rent for tourists who have no idea how dangerous it is to ride in the city.

whistling.gif

I've personally almost nailed 3 people THIS WEEK (looked to be Chinese) peddling around and not looking where they were going. Considering how many Chinese ride bikes back home, I'm surprised how many of them are careless here.