Diving Newbie - Live In Bkk; Class Koh Tao Or Pattaya?

smokinfun

Hi there,

I've never dived in my life; but have two weeks off and want to get certified and try it. I will be at my apartment in Bangkok (before I return for 7 months at work). My questions for the forum.

Can anyone recommend a school by name?? I want to learn something and not just pay for some PADI certificate.

Shall I go to Koh Tao?? Can I stay close to Pattaya?? Again a school there or just stay in BKK??

Finally, I'm told I should at least buy a mask and regulator - can rent everything else. Any recommendations for shopping? Cheaper in Bangkok or by the sea??

Thanks so much for the advice; my girlfriend isn't much help on this endeavor.

Most Respectfully,

Don't buy your own regulator just now, settle for mask, snorkel and fins.

Pattaya and Koh Tao are completely different environments, so I would let your choice depend on which environment is more for you.

Pattaya and Koh Tao are completely different environments, so I would let your choice depend on which environment is more for you.

Thanks, I've always found the water in Pattaya to be ugly but closer - the quote from Koh Tao is cheaper for open water. though. Still thinking. Can you expand on "environment"? Where should I shop for mask, snorkel and fins?? I'm assuming Bangkok would have more selection and be cheaper. Know any shops?? I've seen one on Sukhumvit.

Thanks, I've always found the water in Pattaya to be ugly but closer - the quote from Koh Tao is cheaper for open water. though. Still thinking. Can you expand on "environment"? Where should I shop for mask, snorkel and fins?? I'm assuming Bangkok would have more selection and be cheaper. Know any shops?? I've seen one on Sukhumvit.

Quite a few shops, and they gear at the Bangkok and Koh Tao shops come from the same wholesalers, so there should be no price differences.

Koh Tao is very, very laid back, with many backpackers there to do their open water course. Since you know Pattaya already I won't say anything about that.

Quite a few shops, and they gear at the Bangkok and Koh Tao shops come from the same wholesalers, so there should be no price differences.

Koh Tao is very, very laid back, with many backpackers there to do their open water course. Since you know Pattaya already I won't say anything about that.

Got it! Environment was the above the waterline (or shall I say below the waist line) type. Thanks again for taking time out for my questions!!

I live and dive in Pattaya. It's a perfectly good place to learn. Underwater visibility will usually, but not always, be better in places like Koh Chang and Koh Tau, but that's not a major consideration in your first few days of learning. Cost of training is about the same everywhere but Pattaya is easy to get to from Bangkok.

Basic training is the open water cert and takes four days. Next level is called advanced open water and takes two days. If you've got the time and money do both together, should get you a good discount on the cost.

Don't buy any gear yet. Wait 'til you've done some diving and have an idea what you want. A regulator set is expensive and will be one of the last things you buy.

But wherever you go, I'm sure you'll enjoy diving in Thailand.

Koh Tao is a lovely place - I did my rescue course there. Nice, gentle dives, generally good vizibility, nice, laid back atmosphere top side.

Pattaya is frequently a horrible place to dive -poor viz, crappy currents, difficult and often challenging dives. Wonderful place to learn how to deal with those conditions though.

You might also like to think that, given you live in BK, you are more likely to dive pattaya when you have learnt. You can go down, dive and be back in a day - so its likely to be your main dive spot if you get bitten by the bug. Either of the two big shops, Mermaids or Aquanauts would do fine.

I would not buy anything (and certainly not a regulator!) until you have at least your open water certification. People do find diving not to their liking, so make sure its something you want to do before splashing out some cash on equipment.

Have fun, it a great learning experience and a great hobby.

Thanks to all who posted; I'm heading to Koh Tao because it's somewhere new in Thailand for me. Thanks again, I'm sure I will be on this forum after my trip looking for more advice. And I didn't even know about Mermaids and Aquanauts in Bangkok - if I like diving I'll get more information.

Hey smoke. If you go to Koh tao, check out scuba junction. Speak to Natalie. It's on Sairee beach. If you combine courses with accommodations you get a deep discount. Tell her Chris and Lamai sent you. I did my padi open and SSI advanced and rescue and master courses with them and couldn't recommend more highly. Koh Tao is a great location. Very chill and relax. Also some of the best dining of the islands. And cheep. Have a blast whatever you choose. The world of diving awaits and you will be rewarded for this endeavor. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Thanks to all who posted; I'm heading to Koh Tao because it's somewhere new in Thailand for me. Thanks again, I'm sure I will be on this forum after my trip looking for more advice. And I didn't even know about Mermaids and Aquanauts in Bangkok - if I like diving I'll get more information.

Sorry I was not clear - Mermaids and aquanauts are both based in pattaya.

You will have a blast in Tao. Frankly, I have a pang of jealousy I don't have the time to head there and dive myself.

Good luck.

No worries; and don't be jealous - I'll be spending the next 7 months locked down in Afghanistan. Long time for only 5 days of freedom.

I'd like to do comparision shopping if I like the diving. I've found photography equipment very expensive in Thailand - so I buy on-line at APO and save money. I'm not sure if diving equipment will be the same. Basically buy on-line in States and carry in. I've done that will tens of thousands in photography - have some of the best in Thailand now.

Anyone know the big shops in Bangkok? I'll check out Pattaya too.

my wife has just completed her PADI open water with master divers in koh tao ... very very good .... but they r based on mae head which is not where most of the night life is ... i did a days diving with scuba junction and they were pretty good, based on sairee beach and a bit cheaper than master divers.

good luck and enjoy ur diving !!

my wife has just completed her PADI open water with master divers in koh tao ... very very good .... but they r based on mae head which is not where most of the night life is ... i did a days diving with scuba junction and they were pretty good, based on sairee beach and a bit cheaper than master divers.

good luck and enjoy ur diving !!

I signed up with Scuba Junction and will follow up with a report on the experience. Thanks again for all who replied!!

• 1 month later...

I wound not do it in pattaya. I would buy a mask; google how to buy one.... it should fit pretty well just barely pushing it to your face. I have had great luck with cressi, but others faces may be different. Those are quality masks though. I'd probably just get a snorkel too. Leave the fins etc for later.

I would go to tao or chang if I were you.

Ignore the PMs on this forum, go with the more reputable dive companies that actually own their own boats and equipment. A lot of dive companies in Thailand are just commission agents. The big companies pay between a 20-30 percent commission to these fly by night companies. So what you do is keep that in mind, obviously everyone needs to make a buck but if you book a few courses with the one company you can really bargain on the price. Also another trick is the dive companies always try and get you to buy equipment through their suppliers like dive supply, siam diving (i think) and aquamaster. Trade price is 40 percent less. Plus 7 percent VAT which you get back at the airport. So basically whatever the dive shop tries to charge you, halve it and then start the negotiations

I wound not do it in pattaya. I would buy a mask; google how to buy one.... it should fit pretty well just barely pushing it to your face. I have had great luck with cressi, but others faces may be different. Those are quality masks though. I'd probably just get a snorkel too. Leave the fins etc for later.

I would go to tao or chang if I were you.

Avoid cressi like the plague. Go aqualung or scubapro

If you think you know how the diveindustry works here but you really don't, it would be better if you did not post here.

I see it from the perspective of a customer. You might want to listen to them occasionally. Ive dived with lots of different companies and I believe I have a bit of knowledge on the subject. I thought forums were places that people could post their opinions?

My motivations for posting here are to help people enjoy their diving at the right price, then they go home and say what an amazing place Thailand is to dive...IMO the diving here is quite expensive. Considering fuel, boats and wages are substantially lower. Whats your motivation for posting here stevenl?

If you think you know how the diveindustry works here but you really don't, it would be better if you did not post here.

I see it from the perspective of a customer. You might want to listen to them occasionally. Ive dived with lots of different companies and I believe I have a bit of knowledge on the subject. I thought forums were places that people could post their opinions?

My motivations for posting here are to help people enjoy their diving at the right price, then they go home and say what an amazing place Thailand is to dive...IMO the diving here is quite expensive. Considering fuel, boats and wages are substantially lower. Whats your motivation for posting here stevenl?

My motivation for posting here is to give people advice and an honest opinion, your motivation is to provoke people. Just a matter of time till you get banned under your new handle again.

I give advice as a customer. You give advice as a dive shop owner. Completely different. Now if I were reading a public forum on diving I would tend to think that if you were an owner you would be self promoting. Most of your posting in here is an 'Im right your wrong attitude'. Generally negative comments.

Back on topic, as I stated to the OP before the dive industry is very competitive and commission based. Shop around for a good deal and dont be afraid to really crunch on prices. Especially now its low season. Koh Tao is far superior to Pattaya from what I've heard. When ive been up in Pattaya friends of mine have refused to dive with me there because its so crap. Another friend of mine was up at Koh Tao a few months ago and he said it was sensational, and he is an ex phuket dive instructor not working in the dive industry any more.

• Like 1

I give advice as a customer. You give advice as a dive shop owner.

naw, both not true.

How come after 3000 posts your trying to sell new discounted or second hand dive gear in the internship thread? You still dont know the rules of the forum? I noticed your post regarding how much you charge for nitrox courses was removed. So its still not true that your self promoting and sending PMs to potential customers. I think you get 'provoked' as you put it because I am telling it how it is. The dive business is all about commissions and marketing, getting the people to buy more stuff. Take more courses. I tell people to be wary of this when making their choices.

My advice to the OP is to do your open water course. If you love diving and you can see yourself diving on a monthly basis. Go as far as your advanced open water with deep diver specialty. This will allow you to dive anywhere in the world. Buy yourself a decent mask, snorkel and fins and then slowly accumulate the rest of your dive gear. More often than not you end up with heaps of gear given to you or sold cheap because they didnt use it much and are going back home.

Diving doesnt have to be expensive at all. Dive companies try to make it expensive so they can make more money from commissions. Im not saying that these companies dont deserve to make money but when you see that its cheaper to dive the great barrier reef than to dive Phuket it makes you question the prices

• Like 2

naw, both not true.

How come after 3000 posts your trying to sell new discounted or second hand dive gear in the internship thread? You still dont know the rules of the forum? I noticed your post regarding how much you charge for nitrox courses was removed. So its still not true that your self promoting and sending PMs to potential customers. I think you get 'provoked' as you put it because I am telling it how it is. The dive business is all about commissions and marketing, getting the people to buy more stuff. Take more courses. I tell people to be wary of this when making their choices.

My advice to the OP is to do your open water course. If you love diving and you can see yourself diving on a monthly basis. Go as far as your advanced open water with deep diver specialty. This will allow you to dive anywhere in the world. Buy yourself a decent mask, snorkel and fins and then slowly accumulate the rest of your dive gear. More often than not you end up with heaps of gear given to you or sold cheap because they didnt use it much and are going back home.

Diving doesnt have to be expensive at all. Dive companies try to make it expensive so they can make more money from commissions. Im not saying that these companies dont deserve to make money but when you see that its cheaper to dive the great barrier reef than to dive Phuket it makes you question the prices

No, not selling divegear, no, not sending PM's, no, post was not removed, I removed it myself after I was told I could not mention the price. Since the question was about the price there really was no point in that post anymore. And no, it is not all about commissions, marketing and sales.

Agree with your second paragraph, but do find it strange that 2 posts ago you recommended against second hand gear and here you are recommending it.

And yes, I'm net letting myself get more provoked by you here. Can't wait for your suspension and ban (and of course your next reincarnation).

I gave the OP some honest advice back in March, he listened and I hope he had a good time. And that advice was not to come to my shop :)

Edited by stevenl

naw, both not true.

No, not selling divegear, no, not sending PM's, no, post was not removed, I removed it myself after I was told I could not mention the price. Since the question was about the price there really was no point in that post anymore. And no, it is not all about commissions, marketing and sales.

Agree with your second paragraph, but do find it strange that 2 posts ago you recommended against second hand gear and here you are recommending it.

And yes, I'm net letting myself get more provoked by you here. Can't wait for your suspension and ban (and of course your next reincarnation).

Thanks for pointing that out.

I meant buying second hand gear from dive shops. When you buy privately off friends or friends of friends they can tell you exactly how many dives the equipment has done, and if the people arent dive instructors they will probably have less than 200 dives at most. Wheras if you are buy from a dive shop they are normally purging all their crap gear during low season and are desperate for a sale and wont be totally honest when selling it. You could safely say this gear has been bashed around and neglected and would be over the 1000 dive mark. Its a recipy for a runaway assent or free flowing regs. Dicing with death IMO. I dont know what you mean about reincarnation. Im not buddhist :D

naw, both not true.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I meant buying second hand gear from dive shops. When you buy privately off friends or friends of friends they can tell you exactly how many dives the equipment has done, and if the people arent dive instructors they will probably have less than 200 dives at most. Wheras if you are buy from a dive shop they are normally purging all their crap gear during low season and are desperate for a sale and wont be totally honest when selling it. You could safely say this gear has been bashed around and neglected and would be over the 1000 dive mark. Its a recipy for a runaway assent or free flowing regs. Dicing with death IMO. I dont know what you mean about reincarnation. Im not buddhist biggrin.png

Ah, that's why professionals always buy the gear we have for sale every year. Because it is crap gear and they love to dive in bashed around and neglected gear with well over 1000 dives. They must really love runaway ascents and free flowing regs.

But as I said already, I'm out of here, I really don't understand how anybody can write this nonsense and claim to be giving advice to people. This is not even bad advice, this is simply BS.