Diving Newbie - Live In Bkk; Class Koh Tao Or Pattaya?

smokinfun

I give advice as a customer. You give advice as a dive shop owner.

naw, both not true.

How come after 3000 posts your trying to sell new discounted or second hand dive gear in the internship thread? You still dont know the rules of the forum? I noticed your post regarding how much you charge for nitrox courses was removed. So its still not true that your self promoting and sending PMs to potential customers. I think you get 'provoked' as you put it because I am telling it how it is. The dive business is all about commissions and marketing, getting the people to buy more stuff. Take more courses. I tell people to be wary of this when making their choices.

My advice to the OP is to do your open water course. If you love diving and you can see yourself diving on a monthly basis. Go as far as your advanced open water with deep diver specialty. This will allow you to dive anywhere in the world. Buy yourself a decent mask, snorkel and fins and then slowly accumulate the rest of your dive gear. More often than not you end up with heaps of gear given to you or sold cheap because they didnt use it much and are going back home.

Diving doesnt have to be expensive at all. Dive companies try to make it expensive so they can make more money from commissions. Im not saying that these companies dont deserve to make money but when you see that its cheaper to dive the great barrier reef than to dive Phuket it makes you question the prices

No, not selling divegear, no, not sending PM's, no, post was not removed, I removed it myself after I was told I could not mention the price. Since the question was about the price there really was no point in that post anymore. And no, it is not all about commissions, marketing and sales.

Agree with your second paragraph, but do find it strange that 2 posts ago you recommended against second hand gear and here you are recommending it.

And yes, I'm net letting myself get more provoked by you here. Can't wait for your suspension and ban (and of course your next reincarnation).

Thanks for pointing that out.

I meant buying second hand gear from dive shops. When you buy privately off friends or friends of friends they can tell you exactly how many dives the equipment has done, and if the people arent dive instructors they will probably have less than 200 dives at most. Wheras if you are buy from a dive shop they are normally purging all their crap gear during low season and are desperate for a sale and wont be totally honest when selling it. You could safely say this gear has been bashed around and neglected and would be over the 1000 dive mark. Its a recipy for a runaway assent or free flowing regs. Dicing with death IMO. I dont know what you mean about reincarnation. Im not buddhist

Ah, that's why professionals always buy the gear we have for sale every year. Because it is crap gear and they love to dive in bashed around and neglected gear with well over 1000 dives. They must really love runaway ascents and free flowing regs.

But as I said already, I'm out of here, I really don't understand how anybody can write this nonsense and claim to be giving advice to people. This is not even bad advice, this is simply BS.

Professionals buy the gear because its cheap and the base salary is only between 30000 and 40000 baht a month. (More with commission's :D )And then its only half that if your a Thai dive instructor.Simple economics. They cant afford to go and buy new gear even at trade prices. The dive shops buy new gear because of the huge amount of money they charge for diving and the little money they pay in salaries

Edited by IrishIvan

I'm just glad he decided on Koh Tao instead of Pattaya. I'm sure scuba Junction took good care I him. Hope he gives us an update soon and people stop bickering on here. Maybe you guys should PM eachother and give the rest of us a break. Getting silly.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I'm just glad he decided on Koh Tao instead of Pattaya. I'm sure scuba Junction took good care I him. Hope he gives us an update soon and people stop bickering on here. Maybe you guys should PM eachother and give the rest of us a break. Getting silly.

Im not bickering just telling it how it is. I doubt whether stevenl has been wet within the last year. He never actually relays anything he has seen while diving. Wheras Joe actually is quite informative and helpful. 2 dive shop owners. 2 totally different attitudes. I know as a customer which one I would pick.

• Like 1

Im not bickering just telling it how it is. I doubt whether stevenl has been wet within the last year. He never actually relays anything he has seen while diving. Wheras Joe actually is quite informative and helpful. 2 dive shop owners. 2 totally different attitudes. I know as a customer which one I would pick.

Yes, I'm getting wet regularly, and yes, I'm very helpful. Just totally disagree with you. So as a customer, please don't come to me, I'd rather help friendly people in stead of a know it all who really has no clue.

Edited by stevenl

Yes, I'm getting wet regularly, and yes, I'm very helpful. Just totally disagree with you. So as a customer, please don't come to me, I'd rather help friendly people in stead of a know it all who really has no clue.

That contradicts what your website says, about you spending more time in front of a computer than in the water. Why dont you share your latest diving experiences here with us? Or is it all about your right and everyone else is wrong?

Edited by IrishIvan

That contradicts what your website says, about you spending more time in front of a computer than in the water.

See my previous post, I'm not falling for your BS anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Smokinfun,

If you're considering on underwater photo equipment, then have a read of this link...It will give you a good idea of what to start with & the knowledge to make a wise decision on your first camera...Unlike myself who ended up retiring my 1st uw camera after 2 dive trips!! I've been shooting now since 2003 & still making pictures with only compacts digitals.

Also, if you're looking for other dive buddies from Bangkok, PM me

Cheers, Alex

Edited by craigt3365
removed advertising

• 10 months later...

you guys should start a separate topic and go debate/fight there smile.png

This thread was way down, where it should be, but unfortunately you posted in here, putting it back on top after a year.