Travelling With A Infant

irishken

I will be flying to thailand with a 1 year old. I will then have a couple of car journeys, into bangkok and then about 1.5 hours from a airport in isaan to the village and of course back to the airport again when we are leaving. There will also be another few smaller car journeys when we go down south to and from the airport to hotels. I don't want my child just sitting on my lap while doing these journeys but carrying a car seat plus a pram along with the luggage will be a bit hard. I will be carrying a back pack and pushing the pram.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue and any ideas how to solve it. Obviously i will take the car seat if needs but if you's other options it would be great.

I found these on ebay ,hope its ok to post the link. They look ok and much better than a booster seat as she will have more straps .Thank you

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Portable-Baby-Kids-Auto-Car-Safety-Booster-Seat-Cover-Harness-Cushion-Belt-Strap-/200833370782?pt=UK_Baby_BabyCarSeatAccessories_SM&var=&hash=item2ec29a0a9e#ht_8474wt_1026

• Like 1

Actually that booster looks like a good idea.

A couple of caveats:-

The booster must be used with the regular seat belt.

Looks like it will only easily fit in the front, be aware of passenger air bags, I've not seen a car here where you can isolate the passenger air bag (like we can in Europe). This is a big issue with rear-facing baby seats, I'm not so sure about forward facing seats / boosters, but it bears looking at.

EDIT This page http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing/airbags.htm suggests that it's OK but care is needed. To be honest I reckon the little one will be infinitely safer in the booster than he/she would be just rattling around inside the vehicle.

I will be flying to thailand with a 1 year old. I will then have a couple of car journeys, into bangkok and then about 1.5 hours from a airport in isaan to the village and of course back to the airport again when we are leaving. There will also be another few smaller car journeys when we go down south to and from the airport to hotels. I don't want my child just sitting on my lap while doing these journeys but carrying a car seat plus a pram along with the luggage will be a bit hard. I will be carrying a back pack and pushing the pram.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue and any ideas how to solve it. Obviously i will take the car seat if needs but if you's other options it would be great.

I found these on ebay ,hope its ok to post the link. They look ok and much better than a booster seat as she will have more straps .Thank you

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Portable-Baby-Kids-Auto-Car-Safety-Booster-Seat-Cover-Harness-Cushion-Belt-Strap-/200833370782?pt=UK_Baby_BabyCarSeatAccessories_SM&var=&hash=item2ec29a0a9e#ht_8474wt_1026

I would highly recommend bringing a quality baby seat and skip the stroller. Just carry it separately. They have some that can fold up and carried easily. 1 year old is usually to small to sit in a booster seat I think and imagine how many accidents occur in Thailand. A bit of an inconvenience but worth it I think.

I have a 5, 3, and 1 1/2 yr. old here in Thailand, I looked into the booster seat whilst in US and they did not

recommend the booster for infants or younger toddlers, so I decided to buy the regular-us approved car seats

for my kids. (which provides inclination)

I would think for a infant (1 yr) old, the neck isn't fully developed therefore perhaps the upright seating will be

a bit shaky from bumps, turns, sudden stops etc. in Thailand. You should invest in a good baby car seat

for the safety of your child.

Thanks all for your comments. I was thinking that her neck would not fully developed yet and that has been my main concern. I have done the trip from through isaan before from the airport to her home town and it was a bit hectic with dogs all over the place and pot holes. The guy who does the driving is a nice guy and i have seen him refusing drink before as he had to drive, so i trust him to go even slower with the little one in it but i think a baby seat is the safest option..

Actually that booster looks like a good idea.

A couple of caveats:-

The booster must be used with the regular seat belt.

Looks like it will only easily fit in the front, be aware of passenger air bags, I've not seen a car here where you can isolate the passenger air bag (like we can in Europe). This is a big issue with rear-facing baby seats, I'm not so sure about forward facing seats / boosters, but it bears looking at.

EDIT This page http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing/airbags.htm suggests that it's OK but care is needed. To be honest I reckon the little one will be infinitely safer in the booster than he/she would be just rattling around inside the vehicle.

i seen that it only works in the front seat and then the wife said no to it. thanks for the link.

is there any other topics in TV with tips for travelling to thailand with a infant. I have done a search i am not coming up with many. saves me starting a new topic if you now any. for instance is it safe using mosquito spray on her,just general info

cheers

my advice, after travelling to thailand several times when my son was small, bring the car seat & buy a cheap buggy from tesco when you arrive. The buggy with cost a fraction of that of a decent safe car seat so bring the car seat.

Another option instead of the buggy is a baby carrier, like a baby bjorn, I hardly used by buggy but the carrier was used all day every day but a buggy is handy for naps & when you are in shopping centres.

my advice, after travelling to thailand several times when my son was small, bring the car seat & buy a cheap buggy from tesco when you arrive. The buggy with cost a fraction of that of a decent safe car seat so bring the car seat.

Another option instead of the buggy is a baby carrier, like a baby bjorn, I hardly used by buggy but the carrier was used all day every day but a buggy is handy for naps & when you are in shopping centres.

i have a baby bjorn which i was planning to bring to.i think ill also bring the pram as i have a transfer in abu dhabi. luckily etihad give 30 kgs in economy for both adults and infants so weight is not a issue till we fly in thailand

i have a baby bjorn which i was planning to bring to.i think ill also bring the pram as i have a transfer in abu dhabi. luckily etihad give 30 kgs in economy for both adults and infants so weight is not a issue till we fly in thailand

If you fly business with Thai to Isaan you can take 30 kgs too. Won't cost you that much more.

A nice extra service is that can wait in the business lounge at BKK and get free food and drinks.

• Like 1