Seats

black fox

ive had several inexpensive seats and they all are ok for a few dats then start to hurt like hell so my question is it worth paying 8000 baht for a good one or will they be the same after a few days, ive been looking at fizik seats but i dont want to waste a lot of money if its not going to be a solution.

Saddles are a very personal thing, I went through a lot of them. Tried fizik because quite a few people said they were great, but it didn't work well for me. So I bit the bullet and got a Tune Komm Vor, I won't be looking for anything else anymore. Also like Villagefarang mentioned, a good pair of bike shorts makes a world of difference.

Edited by Thailandf2rally

Saddles are a very personal thing, I went through a lot of them. Tried fizik because quite a few people said they were great, but it didn't work well for me. So I bit the bullet and got a Tune Komm Vor, I won't be looking for anything else anymore. Also like Villagefarang mentioned, a good pair of bike shorts makes a world of difference.

i already have several pairs of shorts, ive never seen any seats by tune komm vor could you tell me where you bought it and how much it was.

Not sure where your a shopping but can get a really good Fizik saddle for 4k baht or Ritchie for a little less.

Next have to experiment with your padded shorts selection. Some have seams or cheap chamois which can irritate one person but work for another. It's takes some trial and error.

Lastly using a lubricant on your crotch will prevent chafing. I use this stuff called Udder Balm(not sold in Thailand) but there are a local substitutes.

Also very importantly is core strength and bike fit. If your using poor form or setup then you need to change some factors or its going to be uncomfortable no matter your equipment.

I am very happy with my Aliante VS from Fi’zi:k.smile.png

The Fizik Aliante for around 4k baht is a great saddle. Not the lightest but durable, comfortable and good looking.

If your willing to get one of the puke green Bianchi themed ones then even less bahts.

I bought mine for a little over $100 in Hawaii and brought is back with me. Definitely doesn’t add much weight to the luggage.smile.png

Here's the Tune Komm Vor that i'm using. The Tune Speedneedle is another model that's more flexy if you prefer more absorption. I've seen Velocity on huay kaew road heading up towards CMU stock Tune saddles, they also have Fizik test saddles that you can borrow for a few days to try it out.

I had a friend bring mine over from Germany as it was abit cheaper.

tune_komm-vor_weiss.jpg

thanks for the imput, ive now bought a fizik arione also new shorts with thicker padding. since buying the seat ive just done 50klms and im feeling fine with no soreness but as i said before it seems to start after a few days so im keeping my fingers crossed and hope it cured the problem.

One other thing to think about is saddle width and riding position. Many quality saddles now come in different widths just as riders have different dimensions of their sit bones. 130, 143, and 155 mms are common dimensions. And it has nothing to do with what you weigh. If you have narrow sit bones and gain 20 pounds, your sit bones won't all of a sudden get wider.

Here's an example: http://www.specialized.com/specs/spec.jsp?speccode=bodygeometrysaddles

I would guess that many riders on inexpensive bikes with cheap saddles are using a saddle that is too wide for them. The theory for many riders is that the wider the saddle and the more padding, the better. That's wrong.

• Like 1

thanks for the imput, ive now bought a fizik arione also new shorts with thicker padding. since buying the seat ive just done 50klms and im feeling fine with no soreness but as i said before it seems to start after a few days so im keeping my fingers crossed and hope it cured the problem.

chamois cream can also help :) I use it on long ride over 40kms or when planning to ride multiple days in a row. not everything thinks it's work it but i do.