Mia Bpen Ria

ray23

Recently I posted about a problem that I had and was pretty much told that I need to realize where I live and that I should mind my manners. By the way none of this post were done in a evil way, but offered as sage advice, that was given to me. I certainly respect thier thoughts.

But, that being said do the Thais always turn the other cheek?

The biggy I believe is money, try to short change a Thia, and see if the go Mia Bpen Ria?

Do you believe this might be a way for some very sharp people to accomplish what they want?

Or is it real?

I think that it is not real and that is just my humble opinnion, what are your thoughts?

If money is not important, why do so many poor play the lottery.

I don't think it's real - it's a perfect ideal that Thai people like to pretend they have, especially to foreigners, or they are striving towards. There are a lot more in Thailand than other countries. It has a lot to do with the religion - especially "baap" and karma.

If you do something bad like knock someone down whilst drunk, you smile and say "mai bpen rai" as it happened and there is nothing you can do to change it. You have earned negative karma, which is enough. You cannot get rid of this negative karma(baap).

I think when something bad happens to you, you say "mai bpen rai" as your karma account is becoming even. Kind of like a good thing as you are getting rid of negative actions of the past. But I could be talking sh*te.

"Arai ja gerd gaw hai mun gerd" whatever happens, is meant to happen, so why worry - mai pen rai.

When I have tried this approach, things seem to go easier.

Edited by Neeranam

No I think you might be right on track. If there is no answer why fight it, where I think it might go wrong is sometimes there are answers. If your mindset is that you should assume in the first place there are no answers without pursuing them, is counter productive to any and all.

I wonder how much comes from the feeling that if you are not a recognized member of society you simply don't stand a chance so Mia Bpen Ria. I think that is hard one at least for myself to grasp, having never felt like that. But, I see it in other farrrang they don't try because the the government isn't going to be fair with them( just an example) They then reflect that to everyone they meet. But none of them tried so is it a feeling or is it reality?

I know farrangs who have lost in court cases here, but I know some who have won as well. But yet if you oppose a Thai in something of this nature, he will be the first to tell you, you can't win simply because you are not Thia and he is. The the long timer farrang's will tell you the same thing. But, when as them waht thier experince was that made them believe that, they have none.

So if we choose to accept this are we not pursuing our options and choosing to be a victim?

Forgive me, I'm just trying to understand something that seems to be evading me.