Farangs Arrested In Pattaya Melee

george

Foreign tourists arrested in Pattaya Soi 8 melee

Strange tale, but set right by police officer’s superior

PATTAYA: Soused Finnish tourist Jari Majamaki evidently decided he did not want to pay his bar bill at the Sexy Bar in Soi 8 at closing time on Sunday night. This did not thrill the bar manager, a Thai national, and a fight ensued with both men landing punches.

The protagonists: Soused Finnish tourist Jari Majamaki who evidently decided not to pay his bar bill, the irate bar manager, the German man who evidently tried to break up the fight Rolf Jeske, Maisaroh Yamrung, and arresting plainclothes Pol. Serg. Maj. Saewong Potehap who took the entourage to the police station and demanded the German pay 35,000 baht for the Finn’s broken eyeglasses.

Caught in the middle was German Rolf Jeske, who apparently attempted to prevent the pair from fighting but was dragged into the middle of the argument.

Police arrived on the scene and arrested all involved, taking them to the nearby police station. Handcuffed, the three men were led into the station but as soon as the police took off the cuffs, the Thai national fled the scene. Police appeared not to be concerned about the man and proceeded to question the two foreigners.

A twist in the events took place when it was revealed that the Finn was a friend of the police officer, identified as Pol. Serg. Maj. Saewong Potehap, a plainclothes officer who promptly ordered the German to pay 35,000 baht for the Finn’s eyeglasses. He then proceeded to put Rolf Jeske in jail.

After hearing and seeing the threats against Jeske, girlfriend Maisaroh Yamrung immediately reported the activities to the police officer’s superior, Pol. Lt. Col. Chachawal Phisitwong, deputy superintendent in charge of the criminal investigation unit. She told him that her partner had only tried to prevent the fight and was dragged into the middle, adding that the police officer in question was doing the wrong thing.

Upon hearing the complaint Pol. Lt. Col. Chachawal called in the junior officer and “hauled him over the coals,” telling him he had to be responsible for his friend’s bar bill and that even if he was off duty he needed to set an example to the public.

“Police in Thailand already have a damaged reputation because of bad seeds and we (the police) must set a good example, regardless of whether on duty or not. And if you’re not, then you are also prevented from wearing a firearm, especially when drinking ... there’s no telling what could happen. Don’t make the situation worse,” Pol. Lt. Col. Chachawal told the junior officer.

Pol. Lt. Col. Chachawal then ordered Pol. Serg. Maj. Saewong Potehap to set the foreigners free.

Following the order everyone left, thanking the senior officer for setting the matter straight and saving the face of Pattaya police, for now.

--Pattaya Mail 2004-02-13

I've never seen a traffic accident where someone (oddly only the males) didn't flee the scene like a coward. :o

As for Pol. Lt. Col. Chachawal, I wonder what the chances of getting him transferred up here to Chang Mai are? :D

Nice to hear good stories about the cops for a change.

cv

I've never seen a traffic accident where someone (oddly only the males) didn't flee the scene like a coward. :o

Nice to hear good stories about the cops for a change.

cv

Scene fleeing is a cultural thing....years ago there was a collision on the river between two boats, and the Nation reported that the speedboat driver swam the scene. :D

"Fleeing the scene (or not)" has had me wondering for a while.

As a kid in Northern England, I had it dinned into me that one had to "stand fast and take your punishment". Later as a teenager I learnt that "hit and run" was the worst thing in the motoring book.

I wonder why "NOT fleeing the scene" was taken so deeply into UK culture, but apparently not (yet?) into Thai culture.

Do the newspapers and radio/tv report 'fleeing the scene' in the disapproving tones that they would in UK?. Or do they report it in the tone of "Well, he would, wouldn't he?".

Anybody know what Thai schools teach on this?

I've read about quite a few traffic incidents where the survivor "fled the scene" in the Pattaya Mail.

Couple of examples----

A Swedish guy & his girlfriend were killed by a tour bus that struck their motorcycle on Sukhumvit in Pattaya-------"Police were looking for the tour bus driver who had failed to stop, and when found would face serious charges"

A Thai motorcycle mechanic was killed when test-driving a motorcycle he had just repaired-----"Witnesses said they saw the doomed man traveling at a high rate of speed on the wrong side of the road, when he hit a cement truck head-on, killing him instantly. The driver of the cement truck had fled the scene, and police were looking to question him."

A Thai motorcycle madman was driving in the wrong direction down the middle of Sukhumvit Rd when the inevitable happened. He was struck by one car that failed to stop, which caused him lose control. he was then struck by two other vehicles. He was rushed to the Pattaya Bangkok emergency room, but sadly enough, was pronounced dead on arrival.

The above aren't exact quotes, but are pretty close.

What gets me, is that I never read anything about the fleeing drivers ever again.

I guess the Pattaya cops are too busy enforcing motorcycle helmet laws & such.....

Those Scandinavians - loud and drunk as always! :D

Good story about the police for a change.! However I have to teach some geography here though.. Finland is NOT a part of Scandinavia.. which consists of only three countries. Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Finland is a part of the Nordic countries, which also includes Scandinavia.

But I agree, they can be loud and drunk! :o

No the point is that THE THAI can leave , cause no matter how big a criminal you are in pattaya, the police will close their eyes for you because it's one of them you know.

Only the farangs are smiled on and said " oh not much we can do you know"

Some of my friends were involved in an accident with a 69 year old man.

He was run over by a thai girl apperantly drunk or high.

When they returned from bringing him into the hospital , and went to the police station...

The girl suddenly had changed gender and was a man now....

That's how fair and good the police is in thailand. Maffia.....