Gun Laws

Briandajew

I don't know where to start.

Neversure - Well Said.

Briandajew - Great story.

Mordens - Fascinating information.

In the US they have sold 10,000,000 Remington 870s. Nuff said.

Hands down no doubt about it...A shotgun is best for home defense.

12 Gauge is probably too big for home defense. I don't know you can get ammo or even a 20 gauge around here.

Great thread!!

I agree!

Don't forget that with a shotgun, you can size up or down it's power by the type of ammo you buy. 12 gauge is so common that ammo is readily available.

A 20 gauge will fire the same sized shot at the same speed, but just less of it. The only benefit I see in a 20 is that in launching less weight in shot, it doesn't kick as hard and that is good for a woman, a child, or even an adult male who's unfamiliar with guns and who might miss by flinching until he gets used to it.

My favorite defensive shotguns are my Winchester 1300 Defender, nicknamed the "speed pump" with a magazine extension,

[URL=http://s629.photobucket.com/user/Gunner3456/media/DEF.jpg.html]DEF.jpg[/URL]

And my Remington 1100 semi with a fully rifled barrel and rifle sights.

[URL=http://s629.photobucket.com/user/Gunner3456/media/110.jpg.html]110.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s629.photobucket.com/user/Gunner3456/media/SDC10140a.jpg.html]SDC10140a.jpg[/URL]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neversure - Well Said.

12 Gauge is probably too big for home defense. I don't know you can get ammo or even a 20 gauge around here.

Great thread!!

I agree!

Don't forget that with a shotgun, you can size up or down it's power by the type of ammo you buy. 12 gauge is so common that ammo is readily available.

A 20 gauge will fire the same sized shot at the same speed, but just less of it. The only benefit I see in a 20 is that in launching less weight in shot, it doesn't kick as hard and that is good for a woman, a child, or even an adult male who's unfamiliar with guns and who might miss by flinching until he gets used to it.

My favorite defensive shotguns are my Winchester 1300 Defender, nicknamed the "speed pump" with a magazine extension,

DEF.jpg

110.jpg

SDC10140a.jpg

Way too big and bulky for a self defence situation in a domestic environment. Just an opinion...

BUT, the beauty-factor gives you points at the right end of the scale though!

I'd consider the Mossberg if it wasn't that it's ugly as he**...

mossberg_500_spx_tactical.jpg

Edited by Forethat

Way too big and bulky for a self defence situation in a domestic environment. Just an opinion...

They are no bigger and not much heavier than that Mossberg!! The slightly heavier gun will have less barrel rise from kick, and get back on target faster.

That's why I haven't replaced my beautiful walnut stocks with plastic. smile.png

Nice Mossy, though if you remove the cumbersome pistol grip.  thumbsup.gif

Edited by NeverSure

Neversure - Well Said.

Great thread!!

I agree!

DEF.jpg

110.jpg

SDC10140a.jpg

I forgot to mention that the fully rifled 1100 is for outside. I live in the country with about 100 yards minimum view around my home, and then woods. A fully jacketed, hollow point sabot slug is accurate to about 200 yards from that shotgun, and the slug is massive and fast.

Here it is, before and after, after expanding to more than 1" with sharp brass edges. Remember, it started out the diameter of a 12 ga barrel.

[URL=http://s629.photobucket.com/user/Gunner3456/media/AcuTipslug.jpg.html]AcuTipslug.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s629.photobucket.com/user/Gunner3456/media/accutipslug50yd.jpg.html]accutipslug50yd.jpg[/URL]

• 8 months later...

Here's my own experience. I hope it helps.

If you are to buy a new gun, put a deposit on it and take the details to you Amphur office. Ask you wife to apply for a licence. Foreigners can have licences but the questions regarding need are more stringent. Only the Amphur boss can approve applications. A second hand gun can be taken away in advance of the licence application. The reason is that new guns must first have a Thai serial number stamped on them. Carry licences are subject to more rigorous questioning.

The licence holder can use the gun for self-protection within the bounds of his property. A foreigner whose wife holds the licence can use the gun to protect her, himself or their property. Shooting vermin on a big plot or practice shots are unlikely to draw attention unless you have upset a neighbour.

I believe that effective self-defence equipment will become more important as scooter boys runs out of funds from his aging parents. I used to think that close range equipment was enough but I now think that intruders need to be dealt with at a distance.

For defence in the house, I suggest a revolver, .222 or .38. Easy to maintain and won't won't jam. A long barreled gun s difficult to use indoors and, if you hit an intruder, you will mess up your walls.

For use on the land, including dealing with vermin and target practice, I suggest a .22 semi-automatic such as a CZ, perhaps with telescopic sights. A shotgun is too imprecise.

If you are new to guns, join a gun club that rents guns similar to your own and gives both tuition and supervision. Carry laws aren't then an issue. You should have a suitable safe, on sale in BKK. Never keep a loaded gun unless you expect to use it imminently. We have our revolver available to use while we are at home. It's unloaded but the quick-load magazine is to hand also.

No need to see a lawyer. An ignore those with a bee in their bonnets.

Good luck with your purchase.

I think the need to get approval from the Amphur applies only outside Bangkok.  I have five Por 4 licenses over the years and never had to go the Amphur but the first one I had to go for an interview at my local cop shop where they asked questions about whether I had any disputes with anyone or had received death threats (presumably they don't approve anyone in this category).  After the first one they only asked for a copy of the one of the old Por 4 licenses.  In Bangkok the licenses are now issued by the Interior Ministry's Department of Provincial Administration which took over from the police licensing center for guns, explosives and hotels which was in Lard Prao (perhaps the hotel licensing work became too burdensome for them.)  I am told that the process at DOPA is not significantly different from the process at the old police licensing center.  In Bangkok the gun stores do all the paperwork for you and the only personal visit I have ever had to do was the initial interview at the police station.  Things are certainly different in the provinces and I have heard of people needing to get a testimonial from the village headman as well as apply to the Amphur.  Some provincial governors impose a total ban on foreigners owning guns, i.e. Phuket the last I heard of it.   Bangkok is the most liberal and I have heard of people with work permits and yellow tabien baans getting licenses in the recent past, although previously PR and a blue tabien baan were required.