Form P161 For Uk Tax Code On Pension

Hi,

Here with a retirement Visa.

I have just started up my UK based pensions - both private and OAP.

Has anyone experience of applying for a UK Tax Code on UK based pensions?

I have traveled and worked all over - now retired at 70+ - left the UK some 20 years ago - so completely lost touch.

The OAP people found my records and although what with the post etc etc much delayed - have coughed up correctly.

Understand that as UK based I have to pay tax on the pensions - not complaining ref that.

I have downloaded a P161 - looks straightforward - but no idea where to send it back to etc.

Hope to hear any and all advice.

Factseeker.

The Department of Works and Pension is unable to deduct tax on your 'Old Age' State Pension so that pension will be paid free of tax. Between the age of 65 and 74 your personal allowance will be £10,500 provided your total UK income is less than £25,400 per year. If your income is greater than this your personal allowance will reduce by £1 for every £2 that your income is in excess of the limit. The balance remaining will be applied to your second private pension and any other UK based income. You will pay UK Income Tax at the standard rate of 20% on the first £34370 in excess of your Personal Allowance. The rate of tax rises to 40% on income over £34370 but less than £150000, and 50% on income in excess of £150000.

The previous poster has provided the address for the Pension Service. There are many tax offices in the UK and I do not know which one(s) will be responsible for your tax affairs.

P.S. I am not a tax and pensions expert. I turned 65 at the beginning of this year and have just had my tax sorted out very efficiently, quickly and correctly by HM Revenue and Customs (the Taxman) over the past 6 months.

P.P.S. The only downside to the process is that the department use 'Priority' mail service in an A5 brown envelope. Unfortunately, this takes anywhere between 5 to 8 weeks to reach Thailand. Be patient! The letter(s) will arrive in time.

The Department of Works and Pension is unable to deduct tax on your 'Old Age' State Pension so that pension will be paid free of tax. Between the age of 65 and 74 your personal allowance will be £10,500 provided your total UK income is less than £25,400 per year. If your income is greater than this your personal allowance will reduce by £1 for every £2 that your income is in excess of the limit. The balance remaining will be applied to your second private pension and any other UK based income. You will pay UK Income Tax at the standard rate of 20% on the first £34370 in excess of your Personal Allowance. The rate of tax rises to 40% on income over £34370 but less than £150000, and 50% on income in excess of £15000.

P.S. I am not a tax and pensions expert. I turned 65 at the beginning of this year and have just had my tax sorted out very efficiently, quickly and correctly by HM Revenue and Customs (the Taxman) over the past 6 months.

P.P.S. The only downside to the process is that the department use 'Priority' mail service in an A5 brown envelope. Unfortunately, this takes anywhere between 5 to 8 weeks to reach Thailand. Be patient! The letter(s) will arrive in time.

Have just done mine. Spoke initially with Newcastle international pension service (0191) 21 87777.

I downloaded the form IPC BR1 from the internet, filled it in and sent it off registered mail via the local Thai post office - I had a tracker number so it was possible to track the sent off form (the cost of mailing was 180 baht.) You can track the progress at packagetrackr website which I did. From sending off to arriving at Newcastle took about 8 days or so.

A few days after it arrived I phoned Newcastle to ask for progress and if was the form acceptable. The answer was yes and that they would send me the the letter of confirmation of what I would be receiving (they sent the reply back via registered post). I asked them to do this because the Thailand postal service is not that reliable.

In all - from filling in the form to receiving the reply was about 1 month.

Good luck

lungbing, on 14 Mar 2013 - 21:24, said:

The Pension Service

Tyneview Park

International Pension Centre

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE98 1BA

England UK

That's who I dealt with to get mine in January this year.

Great stuff from everyone - thnxs.

Only thing that I did not understand was why there was no box on the P161 for my address here in Thailand - seemed strange.

All Gov forms normally ask for an address.

I presume one pops a letter in with the form when sending it in - I figured to do so with some other bits of info.

Mine will go off on Monday.

Rgds.

FS

Edited by factseeker

The Department of Works and Pension is unable to deduct tax on your 'Old Age' State Pension so that pension will be paid free of tax. Between the age of 65 and 74 your personal allowance will be £10,500 provided your total UK income is less than £25,400 per year. If your income is greater than this your personal allowance will reduce by £1 for every £2 that your income is in excess of the limit. The balance remaining will be applied to your second private pension and any other UK based income. You will pay UK Income Tax at the standard rate of 20% on the first £34370 in excess of your Personal Allowance. The rate of tax rises to 40% on income over £34370 but less than £150000, and 50% on income in excess of £15000.

Have just done mine. Spoke initially with Newcastle international pension service (0191) 21 87777.

I downloaded the form IPC BR1 from the internet, filled it in and sent it off registered mail via the local Thai post office - I had a tracker number so it was possible to track the sent off form (the cost of mailing was 180 baht.) You can track the progress at packagetrackr website which I did. From sending off to arriving at Newcastle took about 8 days or so.

A few days after it arrived I phoned Newcastle to ask for progress and if was the form acceptable. The answer was yes and that they would send me the the letter of confirmation of what I would be receiving (they sent the reply back via registered post). I asked them to do this because the Thailand postal service is not that reliable.

In all - from filling in the form to receiving the reply was about 1 month.

Good luck

That bit I have accomplished also - post from IPC - seemed to be couple of weeks or so UK to Thailand.

Just the Tax Code bit to sort out by sending off a P161.

FS.

Edited by factseeker

You might get a small rebate as the increased tax allowance of 10,500 pounds applies from the start of the tax year in which your 65th birthday occurs. So if you are 65 this month then your 10,500 allowance will be backdated to cover your income from April last year, ie the whole of the 2012-2013 tax year.

One tiny point. The UK pension is paid without tax being deducted. It is not tax free though. The tax on your other income will increase to cover the income tax due on your state pension.

Damn that William Pitt the younger.

• Like 1