Looking For A Coffee-Shop To Work Outside Of My Appartment

Maramook

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one option may be to have your music system constantly and continously play alternating religious music. One day it could be Buddhist chanting all day, the next the top played of Islam, the next protestant hymns. If it didn't work at least the customers would have something to subliminly be humming on the streets

But watch out foir the music police.

Another option would to not offer wifi and throw out any customers who dare to bring a computer with 3G connectivity into your place. There are some places that technology should not be allowed. Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

I think one option may be to have your music system constantly and continously play alternating religious music. One day it could be Buddhist chanting all day, the next the top played of Islam, the next protestant hymns. If it didn't work at least the customers would have something to subliminly be humming on the streets

I think you might be on to something. But it needs a bit of touching up. Remember, the idea IS to provide a comfortable place to sit for an hour or so. With that in mind, nice music... perhaps some New Age Windham Hill guitar or piano for 90 minutes or so... followed by 15 minutes of the First Brigade of the Queen's Cameron Highlander Pipe and Drum Corp playing at full volume. That will usually clear out all but the Scots, but there aren't too many of them just hanging around. Then put back the New Age music and let the next crowd in to sit and relax.

I think what most people are missing here is that a lot of coffee shops are set up for the type of person the OP is. That is why they have the free wifi and comfy chairs etc. They are looking for people to come in and work or study. They want the kind of customer that everyone on here is berating. This is the type of person that uses my friends coffee shop and they are doing very well.

Silly me, I thought any business was looking to make money = profit. Not to provide a comfy place for people to work. Oh well ..... if your friend is happy to sell a coffee every hour or 2 then so be it.

You will notice there was no mention of the price of coffee or how long they could sit there. Some how I don't think his friend set it up at cheap prices if as all he wants is people to come in and use his comfy chairs and big tables free wifi with one cup of coffee all day.

Then again his friend may have already joined the long list of out of business coffee shops due to lots of customers but no sales.

Actually my friend owns very many succesful business in town one of which is a very succesful coffee shop. And if you knew the complete list of business he owns in Chaing Mai it might make you reconsider your opinions.

But i am bored of this. obviously my friend knows nothing and we should all bow to the know all geniuses of Thai Visa. I was wrong to ever doubt your knowledge and wisdom.

What a bunch of muppets.

Another option would to not offer wifi and throw out any customers who dare to bring a computer with 3G connectivity into your place. There are some places that technology should not be allowed.

Or another option is to drive away all your customers and go broke.

But hey i forgot my above post. All hail the TV geniuses.

Punspace looks awesome.. BUT, i imagine many of the farangs who go there would be without work permits. Possibly doing work totally unrelated to Thailand.. but still technically requires a work permit. So possible target for immigration busts?

In that case, it doesn't really matter if you have a work permit or not. Work permits are tied to your employers address and that is the only location you are authorized to work. (For those of you that don't have a work permit, the first page includes (Permitted locality of work, including the business address). So, even foreigners with a work permit would still be in violation of the letter of the law.

Also, is it really Immigration's job to enforce work permit rules? They have never cared about or asked to look at my Work Permit before. I was under the impression that they are only concerned with visa status and it was work permit rule enforcement was left up to the Thai police, the Department of Employment and the Ministry of Labour.

-Mestizo

Punspace looks awesome.. BUT, i imagine many of the farangs who go there would be without work permits. Possibly doing work totally unrelated to Thailand.. but still technically requires a work permit. So possible target for immigration busts?

In that case, it doesn't really matter if you have a work permit or not. Work permits are tied to your employers address and that is the only location you are authorized to work. (For those of you that don't have a work permit, the first page includes (Permitted locality of work, including the business address). So, even foreigners with a work permit would still be in violation of the letter of the law.

Also, is it really Immigration's job to enforce work permit rules? They have never cared about or asked to look at my Work Permit before. I was under the impression that they are only concerned with visa status and it was work permit rule enforcement was left up to the Thai police, the Department of Employment and the Ministry of Labour.

-Mestizo

Oh ok

Do you know what the official legal definition of "work" is relating to "work permits" in Thailand. If ive got a business visa, and i call and email companies looking for suppliers am i working? How about if i apply for work permit.. is that also working? forbidden?

-Mestizo

Oh ok

Do you know what the official legal definition of "work" is relating to "work permits" in Thailand. If ive got a business visa, and i call and email companies looking for suppliers am i working? How about if i apply for work permit.. is that also working? forbidden?

"Work" is defined in Section 5 of the Thailand "Working if Alien Act B.E. 2551 (2008) as: "Work" means engaging in work by extorting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits

There you go. A simple Google search is a wonderful thing.

-Mestizo

Cruel and inhumane punishment whistling.gif

• Like 1

Parasites like yourself are a PITA for regular coffee-addicts ... taking up space AND using free electricity & hogging bandwidth whilst casual customers struggle to connect.

Macca's is for you ... stay away from Ristr8o and Akha Ama .... oops, think I gave you a clue or 2 there ....

coffee-shops are public. I'm a normal customer.

Coffee shops are not public spaces. They are owned and run for a profit. At least have the decency to buy a reasonable amount of product for the time you spend there. Simple really .... or get a better apartment /house.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

-Mestizo

Oh ok

"Work" is defined in Section 5 of the Thailand "Working if Alien Act B.E. 2551 (2008) as: "Work" means engaging in work by extorting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits

There you go. A simple Google search is a wonderful thing.

-Mestizo

Simple solution!

Get the Coffee Shop to issue the OP a Work Permit. Problem solved.

How police is going to prove those farangs actually did some work. Is sitting with a laptop an offence now?

• 3 weeks later...

Parasites like yourself are a PITA for regular coffee-addicts ... taking up space AND using free electricity & hogging bandwidth whilst casual customers struggle to connect.

Macca's is for you ... stay away from Ristr8o and Akha Ama .... oops, think I gave you a clue or 2 there ....

coffee-shops are public. I'm a normal customer.

Coffee shops are not public spaces. They are owned and run for a profit. At least have the decency to buy a reasonable amount of product for the time you spend there. Simple really .... or get a better apartment /house.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

that means they are public.

I very much doubt one can define work as "extorting energy," although anything is possible.

If someone buys a cup of coffee each day at his favorite "free internet"
shop, it's very likely he's spending a lot more than an excellent
internet hookup would cost.

-Mestizo

I don't think this is correct. My work permit entitles me to work in the province of Chiang Mai. It restricts the type of work that I do but the location is quite broad. It gives the address of the employer but there is no restriction to work at that address. 'Locality Permitted to Work Province Chiang Mai'

-Mestizo

I don't think this is correct. My work permit entitles me to work in the province of Chiang Mai. It restricts the type of work that I do but the location is quite broad. It gives the address of the employer but there is no restriction to work at that address. 'Locality Permitted to Work Province Chiang Mai'

I guess it would really depend on how you interpret, or rather how the enforcement officer would interpret the wording on item 2 on the last page of the work permits. (attached image).

-Mestizo

post-16307-0-13423600-1366023624_thumb.j

Edited by Mestizo