Chrome Wheels

Sharp

• 2 months later...

Opposite PTT on Chao Fa west before Wat Chalong. Small place but I am pretty sure you can get them done there. Opposite and a little bit up towards Phuket Town

So if I come from central to Wat chalong is on the same side of the road, is there any sign by chance?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Unfortunately, chrome-plating in Phuket is crap. After three months, or so, the chrome starts flaking off.

Chrome cannot be applied to steel, or aluminium directly. A coating of copper, or nickel must be applied first and then the chrome on top of that. I suspect that the chrome-plating companies in Phuket skip the nickel, or copper coating which is why the chrome-plating doesn't last.

I have three classic motor-bikes. Each one gets completely renewed every three years hich means that once a year, I re-chrome a bike.

I always send the parts to Bangkok to a reputable chrome plating company. It costs twice as much as Phuket, but lasts six times longer.

Talk to any motor-bike mechanic and they will confirm that chrome plating in Phuket is crap.

Unfortunately, chrome-plating in Phuket is crap. After three months, or so, the chrome starts flaking off.

Chrome cannot be applied to steel, or aluminium directly. A coating of copper, or nickel must be applied first and then the chrome on top of that. I suspect that the chrome-plating companies in Phuket skip the nickel, or copper coating which is why the chrome-plating doesn't last.

I have three classic motor-bikes. Each one gets completely renewed every three years hich means that once a year, I re-chrome a bike.

I always send the parts to Bangkok to a reputable chrome plating company. It costs twice as much as Phuket, but lasts six times longer.

Talk to any motor-bike mechanic and they will confirm that chrome plating in Phuket is crap.

Wow you must love your bikes very much :-)

Actually you are right, every mechanic always tell me that Phuket is crap and Bangkok is the place where to send the parts to rechrome.

Unfortunately I don't have more than a bike, I have one and I ride it on daily basis.

In addition i don't want to live my bike in a workshop for 1 month, because this is the time they are prospecting me... and when Thais are saying a month could be more.

4 months ago I had my risers rechromed here in Phuket and they look ok, maybe tomorrow I will curse at them but for now they are ok.

I want to chrome this parts, since you are an expert, do you think is a good idea?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks ;)

I get it that phuket chrome plating is crap, but if as i understand it, you get it done in Bangkok and it still only lasts 3 years surely Bangkok chrome plating is also crap.

If done, as you say at a reputable company the chrome should last up to 20 years or more if looked after correctly.

In the past in Aus i had many older cars 20-25 yo with great original chrome..maybe just like many things..the job was mostly done better back in the day..

Any parts i had rechromed were, as i was told was very important was after fastidious cleaning was copper coating which adheres to raw metal very well [ chrome won't!!] then a coating of nickel which adheres to copper and finally top coat of chromium which in turn will adhere very well to the nickel.

Missing any step of the process results in short life span of the chroming..

PS EDIT...Just to point out...you cannot ''skip'' the nickel...the nickel is in fact what you see under the chrome plate as the finished product

Edited by andreandre

After three years, the majority of the parts that are chromed are still looking good. The parts that need re-chroming are exhausts, and wheel spokes.

Any part that has a single spot of rust I get the entire thing re-chromed, because, yes, I love my bikes and I want them to look perfect.

Don't forget that Phuket air contains salt, so, rusting happens fast if any chrome part gets knocked, or scratched.

The chrome-plating company I use in Bangkok has the contract to chrome-plate handle-bars for Harley Davidson which are then exported to the USA. Therefore, a good company.

I do a bike a year. This means stripped down, re-sprayed, re-chromed and anything worn or less than pristine gets replaced.

I like when my bike shines too, even though it's not a harley, I hate seeing rusty parts, those parts I posted the pix of, are not rusty but they look horrible this way...

Opposite PTT on Chao Fa west before Wat Chalong. Small place but I am pretty sure you can get them done there. Opposite and a little bit up towards Phuket Town

So if I come from central to Wat chalong is on the same side of the road, is there any sign by chance?

Thanks

No sign but its still in action I saw it a few days ago. Yes its on the same side as you come down from Wat Chalong. Before the PTT as your heading to the circle

• Like 1