Slash (/)

Tywais

Something I wanted to know for a long time but haven't. Most Thai house addresses are of the format 111/11. I've been wanting to know what do you say for the slash (/). Heard a friend today on the phone give out an address and he used the word 'top' such as หนึ่ง หนึ่ง หนึ่ง top หนึ่ง หนึ่ง. Can't seem to find the Thai spelling as everything associated with slash is the more conventional definitions. Any ideas?

I guess you are looking for this word?: ทับ (TAP)

Don't think that is it. Found another word though after looking at yours - ตับ dtàp which means row or line.

I think that ตับ is most commonly used as the 'liver'

When I speak about an adress wich has a slash in it, I also always use 'thap' ทับ as so do many Thais.

i was quite surprised that any Thai whom i told my house number is 10/18 knew what "slash" means.

The word is ทับ =/ at my house 110/10 the first number is the plot, the number after the / is the house number.
  • Like 1

i was quite surprised that any Thai whom i told my house number is 10/18 knew what "slash" means.

the first number is the plot, the number after the / is the house number.

Something else I wanted to know. Thanks for that additional info.

Don't think that is it. Found another word though after looking at yours - ตับ dtàp which means row or line.

Actually ตับ when the most commonly used means "liver"

FrisoPee is quite right - http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%9A_(%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99)

Yes, I confirmed this with a native speaker. This is the right spelling for 'slash'

ทับ - thap

The 'thap' romanization is a little odd as that is how my first spelling would be pronounced whereas the sound is actually 'top' (high). But then, different systems use different romanizations.

Yes, I confirmed this with a native speaker. This is the right spelling for 'slash'

ทับ - thap

The 'thap' romanization is a little odd as that is how my first spelling would be pronounced whereas the sound is actually 'top' (high). But then, different systems use different romanizations.

Oh yes this is quite difficult of course.. But as you write 'top' i assume you use an 'o' sound wich I think should be an 'a' sound. But yes, one should use the thai spelling to be sure about how to correctly pronounce.

ทับ - thap

Oh yes this is quite difficult of course.. But as you write 'top' i assume you use an 'o' sound wich I think should be an 'a' sound. But yes, one should use the thai spelling to be sure about how to correctly pronounce.

Yes, the 'ah' sound in 'top' is what I hear and the spelling shows and how I now pronounce it. smile.png But yes, that is why I like to see the Thai spelling, easier to remember the word and how to pronounce it.

I think it's pronounced similar to British "tap" as in tap water.

Actually it's somewhere between 'tap' and 'top' but seems closer to 'top' Here is the pronunciation - ทับ

Click on the Speaker icon to hear it.

Surely most people know how they pronounce the vowels by now don't they? Or are you suggesting that อะ changes depending on the word in which it appears?

Thai is going to become a lot harder if that is the case!

Actually it's somewhere between 'tap' and 'top' but seems closer to 'top' Here is the pronunciation - ทับ

Click on the Speaker icon to hear it.

Surely most people know how they pronounce the vowels by now don't they? Or are you suggesting that อะ changes depending on the word in which it appears?

Thai is going to become a lot harder if that is the case!

Actually I'm fully aware of the vowel sounds including in the word I brought up. I mainly was just passing on more details for others who may not have got it right such as in 'tap'. After I saw the correct spelling it was then clear to me the correct pronunciation. Sometimes it is just difficult to express how to go about it though. wink.png

The pronunciation of vowels with sounds like this has great potential for flame wars. Several English vowels lay claim to parts of this area, depending on where the speaker of English hails from, and his age, sex and social class. I normally hear the Thai as sounding like 'tup', but sometimes I hear it like 'tap'. There's clearly also variation in Thai.

As my own trial-by-fire experience shows, any transliteration is essentially an approximation, and the final answer is ทัพ is pronounced like ทัพ. Any version (be it "tap" or "tup") will do for a start, but it's not the same thing as the word in Thai.

• Like 1

For house numbers we use ทับ. ทับ means to overlay. So 12/13 literally means 12 on top of 13 or 12 slash 13, which is 12 on top of 13.

Edited by kriswillems

The word is ทับ =/ at my house 110/10 the first number is the plot, the number after the / is the house number.

in the community where i live the "10" does not indicate any plot number.

in the community where i live the "10" does not indicate any plot number.
Same here