Dog Park Or Swimming Hole?

cneuy3

Tomorrow is my dog's first birthday and I'd like to take him for a trip somewhere in or around Chiang Mai.

We've taken him to Huoy Ton Taow before and he really enjoys it there yet it's a bit congested with people.

Any suggestions where my girlfriend,my two dogs, and I can go for some peace and relaxation where the dogs can run wild a bit and play? Preferably also swim.

We don't mind driving two or three hours out somewhere and spending a night somewhere if there are better options outside of Chiang Mai.

"Swimming hole" - there is one somewhere off the canal road heading south towards Hang Dong. I was taken there a while back, but can't give you useful directions as I wasn't paying attention. If you read Citylife magazine, you'll see a small picture of Pim jumping into it in her editorial. Maybe someone knows exactly where it is. You can certainly take your dog, too.

"Swimming hole" - there is one somewhere off the canal road heading south towards Hang Dong. I was taken there a while back, but can't give you useful directions as I wasn't paying attention. If you read Citylife magazine, you'll see a small picture of Pim jumping into it in her editorial. Maybe someone knows exactly where it is. You can certainly take your dog, too.

That was the Ob Khan National Park, south on the Canal road. No one ever minded us there when visiting with our dog, though on a Sunday it can be a popular swimming spot.

You can find small bodies of water in many places within a 2-3 hour drive, though the many smaller ponds are quite murky. Mae Kuang and Doi Tao offer cleaner water and room to run. A couple of large nearby reservoirs are national parks, neither the attendants at the gate or the resident dogs would welcome yours. The reservoir south of Chae Hom, on the 1035, has simple waterfront rooms that given the owners love of dogs, may be pet friendly.

Closer to the city, head towards the 700-year Stadium from the Phucombe intersection at Huey Kaew road. Just prior to the stadium on your right is a very large lake which you can walk the dogs around.

Find a suitable spot for them to enter and exit for a swim: I'd incorrectly chosen the concrete spillway at the back which one of my dogs could not scramble up so I ended up in the drink to carry him out.

Nice spot, it being handy is a plus.

also is the set of reservoirs up behind 700 year complex. The guard don't mind if you go up the road to the reservoir.

Hardly anyone goes up there except for a few people fishing. Take the trails up to some of the more secluded spots.

Also your dogs can play with the many stray dogs who are abandoned up there.

One time I saw a pack of about 40 snarling strays up on the trails. Haven't seen them there recently.

That was the Ob Khan National Park, south on the Canal road. No one ever minded us there when visiting with our dog, though on a Sunday it can be a popular swimming spot.

You can find small bodies of water in many places within a 2-3 hour drive, though the many smaller ponds are quite murky. Mae Kuang and Doi Tao offer cleaner water and room to run. A couple of large nearby reservoirs are national parks, neither the attendants at the gate or the resident dogs would welcome yours. The reservoir south of Chae Hom, on the 1035, has simple waterfront rooms that given the owners love of dogs, may be pet friendly.

Ob Khan is supposed to be dog free zone. Signs at the gate & cages to put your dog in. But <deleted>, TiT who bothers with rules? sad.png

please do precaution when you let your dog swim in huay tung tao lake. my pomeranian who is 100% indoor got giardia twice and both was shortly after a outing in huay tung tao

Including Huay Tung Tao, and the smaller ponds mentioned, could also contain liver flukes. The two vets near my house told me to never swim my dog in the smaller, shallow ponds; or the ones that contain large amounts of those large snails.

My dog and I only went to Ob Khan during the week, at quiet times of the year. Also my dog doesn't swim, I actually pick up her scat, and the majority of the time she stays on the long leash.

please do precaution when you let your dog swim in huay tung tao lake. my pomeranian who is 100% indoor got giardia twice and both was shortly after a outing in huay tung tao

Well, I notice people swim there, and they can also contract giardia. A good reason to keep out of it, it seems.