Recommending "the Best" Thing To Do In Phuket

grumpyoldman

While out and about this last week had conversation with some visitors (and no all you salty types, they weren't selling me timeshares or trying to get money out of me) and the talk turned to what was best to do in Phuket.

Considering recent Estonian travelers I know had a good day at the aquarium I recommended they do that as a day trip.

Chilling on the beach is my personal "best" but can be boring for some (+"already sunburned will go in the evening" for white skinned visitors), what do you recommend to visitors?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had some really nice interactions with tourists here in the past few months, most of whom approached me for similar info, directions, etc.

However, I have stopped approaching tourists who are standing by the side of the road with a map, confused and seeking help from a clueless motorcycle taxi driver who is holding the map upside down.

Every time I tried to help in cases like this all I got in return was rudeness, so I stopped trying. Just wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

• Like 1

Agree with IrishIvan, Jimi and Rickster, in essence anything that gets you out on the water whether in Phang Nga bay or something closer. Gives you a different perspective of Phuket. Probably the shortest journey would be from Rawai to Koh Bon, 10 minutes or so in a longtail. Coral Island is good, though can get crowded.

Staying on the mainland, as GoM pointed out, the Aquarium in the morning followed by an afternoon beach side at either Ao Yon or Khao Khad on Cape Panwa, stopping off at the 'monkey market' near Khao Khad for some fruit on the way home.

After a thorough research of the Phuket forum I have found that the best thing to do in Phuket recommended by only the most experienced Phuket experts available is...(drumroll please).: to stay at home!

It´s obvious isn´t it? You will not need to take a Tuk-Tuk, get ripped off with service charges, scammed by Jetski operators, no need for bribes to the BiB, no more overcrowded roads and beaches, don´t have to listen to Russians, no eyesores, such as unfinished buildings and garbage, no stray dogs......And the best of all you have enough time on your hand to spend all day in front of the computer to tell everyone what a craphole Phuket has become.

if this is not THE best thing to do in Phuket than what!?!?

• Like 1

After a thorough research of the Phuket forum I have found that the best thing to do in Phuket recommended by only the most experienced Phuket experts available is...(drumroll please).: to stay at home!

It´s obvious isn´t it? You will not need to take a Tuk-Tuk, get ripped off with service charges, scammed by Jetski operators, no need for bribes to the BiB, no more overcrowded roads and beaches, don´t have to listen to Russians, no eyesores, such as unfinished buildings and garbage, no stray dogs......And the best of all you have enough time on your hand to spend all day in front of the computer to tell everyone what a craphole Phuket has become.

if this is not THE best thing to do in Phuket than what!?!?

No one that lives here and posts on this forum ever uses a tuk tuk or rents a jet ski. I haven't paid a bribe to the bib, although I have paid a service fee to them once in eight years here for recovering a stolen motorbike. I already posted one of my favorite things to do when guests come. Do you actually have anything positive to add to this thread or are you just on a holiday to our local forum? By the way, there are these things called smart phones these days. In case you haven't heard, they have internet access!

• Like 1

For first timers to Phuket, surely, the biggest "eye opener" for them would have to be the nightlife. It's a must see. yes, that means Bangla Road - Phuket's main tourist attraction.

There is a great climate here, great variety of restaurants, water sports, activities (yes, becareful - tell them they can be ripped off) beaches, massages, for the girls - hair/nails/shopping etc etc etc etc.

Phuket is a great place - but as I have said before, the tourism industry here is poorly managed/administered, mainly by criminals, so, there are some/many issues. Crime and transport being the main ones.

Phang nga is good. At least a half day (if they are trying to see as much as they can in a short time)

It is quite spectacular but not really Phuket I guess.

For Phuket itself, depends on their age, gender, what they like to do.
I'd recommend a tour of the island which should include at least half of the west coast, windmill hill and Laem Prom Thep.

I don't recommend Big Buddha anymore.
Last time I was up there, there must have been at least 25 places where they were trying to get folks to donate money. Different boxes and bins, and the old write your name on a (smaller and smaller) piece of marble that may oneday be part of the .........................Anyway..........turned me totally off to the place

Bangla road is probably a must see for young males (maybe old ones too LOL)

A good seafood restaurant (preferably Thai) like Laem Him is something that wouldn't be forgotten (especially the ones where you take the longtail out to the floating restaurants)

Or a dinner on the beach (if in Kamala or Nai Yang or somewhere with a good one)

If they have the time and are into architecture, how about Phuket town walk around (not for me but Old town is interesting when I have to be there)

Since they've buried many telephone and electric lines, there are some very picturesque streets with cool small bars (Soi Romanee for one)

If they like crowds, try a real Thai festival like the one 3 weeks ago at Wat Chalong.

Nature lovers should certainly try some diving or at least snorkeling (beats the heat too)

And how many kite surfing schools do we have in Rawai now?

I really haven't been to either Splash Jungle or Fantasea sorry to say. (been here a long time too)
I want to get to both and they sound like the kind of things tourists do.

I just was never really into touristy things too much.

But yeah, girl watching at the beach is probably what many of us do for a good RELAX!

Joining Jimi on the long tail boat to coral island and sinking a few coldies on the way thumbsup.gif

don't forget the sunscreen, a burn can dampen your plans for a few days

I saw a few well done tourists at Nai Harn Beach today. Looked painful! Growing up at the beach, I know the pain. Still getting suspected bits cut off my body. Be careful out there! The sun and ocean can and will kill you if you're not! I won't go on about cars and motorbikes here, we all know about those dangers.

Phang nga is good. At least a half day (if they are trying to see as much as they can in a short time)

It is quite spectacular but not really Phuket I guess.

For Phuket itself, depends on their age, gender, what they like to do.

I'd recommend a tour of the island which should include at least half of the west coast, windmill hill and Laem Prom Thep.

I don't recommend Big Buddha anymore.

Last time I was up there, there must have been at least 25 places where they were trying to get folks to donate money. Different boxes and bins, and the old write your name on a (smaller and smaller) piece of marble that may oneday be part of the .........................Anyway..........turned me totally off to the place

Bangla road is probably a must see for young males (maybe old ones too LOL)

A good seafood restaurant (preferably Thai) like Laem Him is something that wouldn't be forgotten (especially the ones where you take the longtail out to the floating restaurants)

Or a dinner on the beach (if in Kamala or Nai Yang or somewhere with a good one)

If they have the time and are into architecture, how about Phuket town walk around (not for me but Old town is interesting when I have to be there)

Since they've buried many telephone and electric lines, there are some very picturesque streets with cool small bars (Soi Romanee for one)

If they like crowds, try a real Thai festival like the one 3 weeks ago at Wat Chalong.

Nature lovers should certainly try some diving or at least snorkeling (beats the heat too)

And how many kite surfing schools do we have in Rawai now?

I really haven't been to either Splash Jungle or Fantasea sorry to say. (been here a long time too)

I want to get to both and they sound like the kind of things tourists do.

I just was never really into touristy things too much.

But yeah, girl watching at the beach is probably what many of us do for a good RELAX!

Went to splash Jungle 2 weeks ago, only one good slide, kids enjoyed it though, everything very expensive once inside, fortunately we got in for free, fancied a beer until we saw the price, if the price had been reasonable we would have spent quite a bit of money, it's a rip off charging 120 bht for a small can of Chang! We drank elsewhere, there loss!!

Splash waterpark is a joke! Its about THB1390 entrance fee, food is terrible, service the same & its virtually on the runway. I have bee 2 times for the works outing, not my choice.

Sunday morning beach @ Kata noi - before the crowds descend or Phang gna for me

- Visiting local markets and events which seem to happen almost constantly around Phuket. The town nightmarket is quite touristic already so it might drop out of the list soon.

- Walk and see the various small art shops at the town.

- Phanga canoeing

- Escape to Koh Yao Noi

- Swimming at the water fall

- Eating at traditional Isaan food restaurant

Lap dance from a stunning 21 year old uni student in a VIP room at a bring your own bottle of whiskey bar in the heart Phuket Town.

295 THB for the whiskey, 100 THB for the dance and 100 THB bar tab for the mixers.

Or sit frying on a beach packed to capacity with touts, umbrellas, plastic deck chairs and fat drunk Russians.

Up to you....

• Like 2

Lap dance from a stunning 21 year old uni student in a VIP room at a bring your own bottle of whiskey bar in the heart Phuket Town.

295 THB for the whiskey, 100 THB for the dance and 100 THB bar tab for the mixers.

Or sit frying on a beach packed to capacity with touts, umbrellas, plastic deck chairs and fat drunk Russians.

Up to you....

where is that exactly.......whistling.gif

The best thing about Phuket is..........

Leaving

Leave as soon as you possiby can!

You guys should get together and post some more offtopic.gif crap...

Seems unavoidable that people who don't live in Phuket, or like in my case in the bigger Phuket area, come in here only to spew negativity. Just ignore them.
  • Like 1

A longtail boat ride out to Coral Island for a day of snorkeling and sitting on the beach.

Is this only possible from November to April due to rough sea conditions?

No. It all depends on the day. There can be rough sea conditions during those months as well. There are nice days with calm seas during the monsoon season too.